Re: Fukuoka crop succession methods

  • misspuffman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2004
      Hi Jaimie,

      For the past two years I've been learning to intercrop barley and
      rice according to Fukuoka's methods. I have three small experimental
      plots that totaled 62.5 square feet in 2003. I grow three different
      varieties of rice: short-grain, Korean sweet, and an Indian basmati.
      The barley is two-row.

      The clover is Medicago polymorpha, or bur clover. This clover grows
      all over the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. I had some growing in my
      back yard, and finally this year I learned how to save the seed.
      Meanwhile, some bur clover volunteered in my east paddy.

      The soil here is called "Houston black." It's the state soil of
      Texas. It's very heavy black clay.

      Last year we got 24.55 inches of rain, so I supplemented it by
      watering, since in this part of Texas evaporation exceeds
      precipitation in the summertime.

      Comments:

      My yield last year was 4 pounds 6 ounces from 62.5 square feet. If
      I'm not mistaken, this gives a theoretical yield of about one and one
      third tons per acre (long tons).

      After the drought of 2003 ended, sufficient rain fell for the barley
      to grow quite tall, and I had a lot of problems with lodging. I have
      now found a Japanese dwarf variety of barley that I will grow this
      fall. Unless I missed it in his books, I don't believe Fukuoka has
      mentioned anywhere what kind of barley he grows. I would sure like to
      know.

      I don't know if this is what you are looking for.

      Miss Puffman
      32N 96W