Re: [fukuoka_farming] A New Book Argu es That Agriculture Is a  Disaster

  • SArjuna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      Not just our agri-culture. Our culture at large is a disaster.
      See the following two articles. The second one scared the bejeebies
      out of me.
      Shivani A.

      America's Gasoline Dangerously Inexpensive
      Oil's true cost: cheap gas kills the Earth and diminishes society
      http://www.environmentalsustainability.info/blog/archives/000596.htm

      Will The End of Oil Mean The End of America?
      by Robert Freeman

    • Adam Carter
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        On the subject of oil I can strongly recommend the book "The Party's
        Over" by Richard Heinberg. You can find it on Amazon or through his
        website at http://www.museletter.com/index.html

        I have lent my copy to over a dozen friends, ranging from growth
        oriented capitalists to anti-civilisation primitivists. No one has said
        a bad word about the book - it is written based on fact not ideology.
        Everyone who has read it has made changes to their life because of it.

        On 02/06/2004, at 12:06 PM, SArjuna@... wrote:

        > Not just our agri-culture. Our culture at large is a disaster.
        > See the following two articles. The second one scared the
        > bejeebies
        > out of me.
        > Shivani A.
        >
        > America's Gasoline Dangerously Inexpensive
        > Oil's true cost: cheap gas kills the Earth and diminishes society
        > http://www.environmentalsustainability.info/blog/archives/000596.htm
        >

        > Will The End of Oil Mean The End of America?
        > by Robert Freeman
        > http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0301-12.htm

      • John Warner
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
          I'm delighted to see peak oil being discussed here although I can't really say I'm delighted with the prospects of it.

          Presently, my idea of growing food during the impending collapse is to grow most of it on permanent intensive beds under permanent mulch in a way not too unlike the biointensive method. [No double-digging, composting, or "sifting" soil though.]

          The beds are supported by harvesting mulch from a surrounding natural farm planted with a rich mix of nitrogen fixers including trees.

          Thanks for posting this, Adam.

          John Warner
          Flowergarden of Madera near Fresno, California
          Handgrown flowers, plants and vegetables
          Market gardeners since 1996

          On the subject of oil I can strongly recommend the book "The Party's
          Over" by Richard Heinberg. You can find it on Amazon or through his
          website at http://www.museletter.com/index.html

          I have lent my copy to over a dozen friends, ranging from growth
          oriented capitalists to anti-civilisation primitivists. No one has said
          a bad word about the book - it is written based on fact not ideology.
          Everyone who has read it has made changes to their life because of it.

          On 02/06/2004, at 12:06 PM, SArjuna@... wrote:

          > Not just our agri-culture. Our culture at large is a disaster.
          > See the following two articles. The second one scared the
          > bejeebies
          > out of me.
          > Shivani A.
          >
          > America's Gasoline Dangerously Inexpensive
          > Oil's true cost: cheap gas kills the Earth and diminishes society
          > http://www.environmentalsustainability.info/blog/archives/000596.htm
          >

          > Will The End of Oil Mean The End of America?
          > by Robert Freeman
          > http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0301-12.htm

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor