Re: A New Book Argues ....badly.

  • Royal A. Purdy
    Message 1 of 19 , May 31, 2004
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude
      Catry" <instinct@s...> wrote:
      > masnobu fukuoka shows us the way to get from this agriculture to
      becomes
      > animals move a lot to be able to graze or feed naturally without
      impacting
      > the land , plants have the advantage of being grounded.
      > anyone interested by this challenge ?
      >
      > jean-claude
      >

      > > FIRST, DO NO FARM
      > > A New Book Argues That Agriculture Is a Disaster

      Jean-claude and Folks,

      I've spent many years reading and writing about Masanobu
      Fukuokas' methods from the perspective that "Natural
      Farming" could and should be applied to general large scale
      commercial type animal (dairy and meat) livestock farming-cropping
      systems. I think readers here would be interested to learn that other
      animal husbandry writers in the past have also advocated the basic
      type tenets as Fukuokas four principals; namely F. Newman Turner
      during the forties and fifties.

      Turner was a follower of Sir Albert Howard, the well-known organic
      author-authority. Basically Turner saw no need to use synthetic
      Fertilizers (he advocated ambient pasture compost amendments); he saw
      no profit from monocultures, sprays or herbicides (complex pasture
      systems utilize "weeds", so there is very little need to act
      on
      controlling them); No (Deep) tillage or anything more than very
      shallow tillage is ever needed. There are other advocates of these
      methods too all based on a common pasture and pasture cropping
      advocacy that slipped from view with the green revolution; you just
      have to look for the information from a different interpretation; one
      that includes (not excludes) animals.

      As I have written on my website (www.ahtuttle.com); I believe and
      continue to promote that I am very sure that Fukuokas' thesis of
      (actual commercial) farming methods without addressing an advocacy of
      animal hoof actions and pastures influence is as blatantly incorrect
      and miss-informed from a economical, social, and environmental
      perspective as is that of any conventional agri-chemical and bio-
      technical type system agriculture with their presumed miss-uses'.

      I advocate that pasture and pasture cropping methods are sustainable
      and valid from anywhere between 10 and ten thousand animal
      equivalents or more.

      "The Elysian Fields Pasture Project" is updated seasonally as
      time
      allows.

      Be safe. Sincerely,

      Royal A. Purdy, author `The Elysian Fields Pasture Project"
      A. H. Tuttle and Company
      Farmington, NY. , U.S.A.
      Upstate New York, Finger Lakes Region
    • Roxann
      Message 2 of 19 , May 31, 2004
        I do not think there is a quick fix nor an easy answer to the question.
        First of all, our world's population is so dense because of many
        reasons, but mass agricultural practices probably contribute to it.
        There was a time when each family had to provide their own food through
        small farms, and they traded and sold off the excess. Personally, I
        like that concept and will soon be doing it myself. Even if each
        community had a garden, or several gardens, depending upon how large the
        community, it would go a long ways in providing food. The necessities
        for life do not include instant, prepackaged and highly processed foods
        and I think a good diet can be had from eating the seasonal produce that
        grows in a local garden with a couple chickens for eggs and a goat for
        milk could supply a community with a wealth of healthy and very
        cost-reduced food. Of course, that would require a radical change of
        paradigm for almost everyone in the US and maybe most other countries.
        But it seems a better answer than mega-agriculture or hunter-gathering.

        Roxann

        Quick question: If we go back to hunter gathering, can we feed the
        entire
        world population?

        Or do we need agriculture?

        E.

      • Roxann
        Message 3 of 19 , May 31, 2004
          When I had only a single goat, she would not leave my immediate presence
          because she was afraid to go far from her "leader". When she kidded,
          the two of them would venture a little farther, but never to far away
          and now that I have a horse they would follow the horse wherever he
          goes, since he is now the leader. I think on 40 acres you could expect
          your goats to stay fairly close as long as it's just the two of them.
          Mine are also very wary of predators and won't go far for that reason.
          Soon we'll be moving to 160 acres with plenty of forage available for
          the animals and they will have more room to roam. If I planned to raise
          them for meat, I'd like to do it the way that was suggested earlier,
          with them pretty much being "supported" more than farmed. But my goats
          need to be tame enough to milk and the chickens would be massacred by
          predators overnight, and even the horse will need shelter and protection
          from predators at night.

          roxann

        • Mary Jo Terry
          Message 4 of 19 , May 31, 2004
            We have a Nigerian dwarf billie goat. He is a pet so I have no trouble getting him to come when I'm outside. We had two females and the neighbors across the road raise meat goats so I couldn't keep them home and finally lost them. I could never keep them in a fence, even Happy (the pet)so I just let him run loose. He doesn't go far.
            Jo_Al
          • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
            Message 5 of 19 , May 31, 2004
              a friend of mine in France have a herd of dairy goat ( alpine ) and he raise
              them free range in the montain ( he have a whole valley to himself ) after
              he milk them in the morning he let them go and when evening comes either
              they come back themselves or he call them , they can be all the way up on
              the crest but they come back .
              at home i raised 3 goats free range also , their pen and shelter was allways
              open as long they were small everything was fine but getting older they
              adventured farther and farther away and peoples complained because they were
              on the side of the road ( not that many car goes thru )so i had to keep them
              on a line .
              jean-claude

              Message 6 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                > Quick question: If we go back to hunter gathering, can we feed the entire
                > world population?
                >
                > Or do we need agriculture?

                quick answer .
                the world population is in proportion of available foods , when hunting
                gathering was the way to get food , earth had a certain number of peoples
                that could be supported , agriculture is in fact the cause of
                overpopulation .
                the real question is: do we need to continuouslly produce more foods to the
                point of exhausting the soils and compromising biodiversity , so we can give
                birth to more peoples .? when is it going to stop ?

                grain based diet will be fine except that the health status of humanity
                declined drastically with the introduction of grains (stature and brain
                sized diminished , degenerative diseases and tooth decay appeared , big
                scale violence got established etc... and more there is peoples on earth
                with a physiological sense of lack ( due to malnutrition ), more
                destruction of ecosystems will occur ...

                better get fed properlly ( in accordance with our genetic and evolution )
                and becomes mindfull of human impact on earth as the hunter gatherer "had "
                to.
                having indecent availability of foods makes us mindless about our place in
                the web of life .
                jean-claude

                Message 7 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                  > Very interested to read the ideas about animal raising fukuoka fashion.
                  >
                  > This leads into something that interests me. I have heard that it is far
                  > less efficient to get one's protein from animals as opposed to from plants
                  > such as soy beans, i.e. that for the amount (nutrients, energy) you put
                  > into raising animals versus plants, you get a lot more out of the plants.
                  >
                  > How do we deal with this ethically, if we are trying to minimise our
                  impact
                  > on the land?

                  those calculation are based on the assumption that animals rasied for food
                  compete with humans for the same ressources . this is true only in the
                  context of factory farming where grains are fed to animals ( that is stupid
                  to spend so much energy to grow grain then feed them to animals )
                  the truth is that herbivorous animals are not grain eater to start with ,
                  they eat foliage and grasses sometimes with somes seeds with it but never
                  naked grains . herbivorous animals have no instinctive regulation of their
                  intake with naked grains they will eat to death ,proof that it is not their
                  original food .

                  even fowls are not grains eaters either , in the wild the ancestor of
                  chickens are bugs and small animals eaters fisrt then greens and seed the
                  last : ducks are also greens and bugs small animals eater , turkey and
                  others the same .
                  only pigeons are seeds eaters .
                  none of the animals we are used to eat , makes a healthy meat when raised on
                  grains ( it have to do especially with the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty
                  acids )

                  animals raised the natural way eat what humans don't eat while benefiting
                  whole ecosytems .
                  to give you an image i comes from the mountains of the pyrennees where not
                  that much can be grown as plants due to the elevation, but the whole
                  mountains is free range paradise for many domestic animals ( horses ,sheeps
                  ,goats cows) they cohabite with other wild big mammals like wild boar ,
                  mouflon ( wild sheep ) , and izards.( wild antelope )and they have done so
                  since prehistoric time . the whole ecosytem of the alpine meadows is rich
                  and diverse .

                  also tending plants demand way more human energy imput for what you get as
                  calory than free range animals raising .
                  jean-claude
                • Socrate Hatoum
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 1, 2004
                    YES AGRICULTURE IS A DISASTER. YES WE CAN FEED THE ENTIRE WORLD.
                    ANYWAY WE WAN'T BE SO MANY
                    On mardi, juin 1, 2004, at 02:16 Europe/Zurich, Elinor Jean wrote:

                    > Quick question: If we go back to hunter gathering, can we feed the
                    > entire
                    > world population?
                    >
                    > Or do we need agriculture?
                    >
                    > E.
                    >
                    > At 12:26 AM 5/28/04 -0400, you wrote:
                    >> FIRST, DO NO FARM
                    >> A New Book Argues That Agriculture Is a Disaster
                    >>
                    >> Enviros are familiar with critiques of large-scale,
                    >> chemical-dependent agriculture, but Richard Manning has bigger fish
                    >> to fry: In his new book "Against the Grain," Manning argues that
                    >> agriculture itself -- the whole shebang -- is a disaster, a
                    >> "dangerous and consuming beast of a social system." Hunter-gatherers
                    >> not only had more fun, he says, but they were demonstrably healthier.
                    >> Agriculture led to a small, rich upper class and a large, unhealthy
                    >> laborer class, not to mention endless cycles of famine. Michelle
                    >> Nijhuis reviews Manning's provocative new book -- today on the Grist
                    >> Magazine website.
                    >>
                    >> today in Grist: Richard Manning's "Against the Grain" gives farming
                    >> a big thumbs-down -- by Michelle Nijhuis
                    >> <http://www.gristmagazine.com/books/books052704.asp?source=daily>
                    >>

                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >>

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Socrate Hatoum
                    33 (0)1 40 70 19 91
                  • Socrate Hatoum
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 1, 2004
                      A MIXTURE OF FAVA BEAN AND CHICKPEAS IS RICHER IN PROTEIN THAN ANY
                      TOXIN FULL STEAK. THE EGYPTIANS :LIVE EATING IT THEY CALL IT FALAFEL
                      AND IT DELICIOUS
                      On mardi, juin 1, 2004, at 02:13 Europe/Zurich, Elinor Jean wrote:

                      > Very interested to read the ideas about animal raising fukuoka fashion.
                      >
                      > This leads into something that interests me. I have heard that it is
                      > far
                      > less efficient to get one's protein from animals as opposed to from
                      > plants
                      > such as soy beans, i.e. that for the amount (nutrients, energy) you put
                      > into raising animals versus plants, you get a lot more out of the
                      > plants.
                      >
                      > How do we deal with this ethically, if we are trying to minimise our
                      > impact
                      > on the land?
                      >
                      > cheers, Elin.
                      >
                      > At 11:50 PM 5/30/04 -0400, you wrote:
                      >> One of our school families raised & loved them, yet had many an
                      >> occasion to
                      >> quote the (Middle Eastern?) saying, "If you have no troubles, get a
                      >> goat." This
                      >> may have had to do with many temptations on the neighbor's property.
                      >>
                      >> Ralph wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> I've raised goats. o keep them close to you, always feed them
                      >> something even
                      >>> if they forage for most of their diet. I kept a few alfafa pellets
                      >>> and
                      >> would
                      >>> feed three or four goats a handful a day.
                      >>>
                      >>> Also, if youring a bell or beat on a tin pan just before you give
                      >>> them the
                      >>> alfalfa, they will always come to you when you ring if they escape.

                      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >>

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Socrate Hatoum
                      33 (0)1 40 70 19 91