Re: [fukuoka_farming] animal raising

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 19 , May 30, 2004
      I've raised goats. o keep them close to you, always feed them something even
      if they forage for most of their diet. I kept a few alfafa pellets and would
      feed three or four goats a handful a day.

      Also, if youring a bell or beat on a tin pan just before you give them the
      alfalfa, they will always come to you when you ring if they escape.

      On Saturday 29 May 2004 10:18 pm, Adam Carter wrote:
      > I am contemplating an experiment along these lines with a few goats,
      > but have reservations about whether they will stay on my land. We have
      > forty acres (half cleared half pasture) and our fukuokan vegetable
      > garden is fenced from wildlife and I'd be happy to have the goats roam
    • Robin, Maya, or Napi
      Message 2 of 19 , May 30, 2004
        One of our school families raised & loved them, yet had many an occasion to
        quote the (Middle Eastern?) saying, "If you have no troubles, get a goat." This
        may have had to do with many temptations on the neighbor's property.

        Ralph wrote:

        > I've raised goats. o keep them close to you, always feed them something even
        > if they forage for most of their diet. I kept a few alfafa pellets and would
        > feed three or four goats a handful a day.
        >
        > Also, if youring a bell or beat on a tin pan just before you give them the
        > alfalfa, they will always come to you when you ring if they escape.
        >

        > On Saturday 29 May 2004 10:18 pm, Adam Carter wrote:
        > > I am contemplating an experiment along these lines with a few goats,
        > > but have reservations about whether they will stay on my land. We have
        > > forty acres (half cleared half pasture) and our fukuokan vegetable
        > > garden is fenced from wildlife and I'd be happy to have the goats roam

      • Elinor Jean
        Message 3 of 19 , May 31, 2004
          Very interested to read the ideas about animal raising fukuoka fashion.

          This leads into something that interests me. I have heard that it is far
          less efficient to get one's protein from animals as opposed to from plants
          such as soy beans, i.e. that for the amount (nutrients, energy) you put
          into raising animals versus plants, you get a lot more out of the plants.

          How do we deal with this ethically, if we are trying to minimise our impact
          on the land?

          cheers, Elin.

          At 11:50 PM 5/30/04 -0400, you wrote:
          >One of our school families raised & loved them, yet had many an occasion to
          >quote the (Middle Eastern?) saying, "If you have no troubles, get a
          >goat." This
          >may have had to do with many temptations on the neighbor's property.
          >
          >Ralph wrote:
          >
          > > I've raised goats. o keep them close to you, always feed them
          > something even
          > > if they forage for most of their diet. I kept a few alfafa pellets and
          > would
          > > feed three or four goats a handful a day.
          > >
          > > Also, if youring a bell or beat on a tin pan just before you give them the
          > > alfalfa, they will always come to you when you ring if they escape.
          > >

          > > On Saturday 29 May 2004 10:18 pm, Adam Carter wrote:
          > > > I am contemplating an experiment along these lines with a few goats,
          > > > but have reservations about whether they will stay on my land. We have
          > > > forty acres (half cleared half pasture) and our fukuokan vegetable
          > > > garden is fenced from wildlife and I'd be happy to have the goats roam

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Elinor Jean
          Message 4 of 19 , May 31, 2004
            Quick question: If we go back to hunter gathering, can we feed the entire
            world population?

            Or do we need agriculture?

            E.

            At 12:26 AM 5/28/04 -0400, you wrote:
            >FIRST, DO NO FARM
            >A New Book Argues That Agriculture Is a Disaster
            >
            >Enviros are familiar with critiques of large-scale,
            >chemical-dependent agriculture, but Richard Manning has bigger fish
            >to fry: In his new book "Against the Grain," Manning argues that
            >agriculture itself -- the whole shebang -- is a disaster, a
            >"dangerous and consuming beast of a social system." Hunter-gatherers
            >not only had more fun, he says, but they were demonstrably healthier.
            >Agriculture led to a small, rich upper class and a large, unhealthy
            >laborer class, not to mention endless cycles of famine. Michelle
            >Nijhuis reviews Manning's provocative new book -- today on the Grist
            >Magazine website.
            >
            >today in Grist: Richard Manning's "Against the Grain" gives farming
            >a big thumbs-down -- by Michelle Nijhuis
            ><http://www.gristmagazine.com/books/books052704.asp?source=daily>
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Adam Carter
            Message 5 of 19 , May 31, 2004
              Quick answer: Six billion (and counting) people could not live as
              hunter gatherers.

              However, I do not believe that six billion people could ever
              sustainably live on this planet regardless of the means they use to
              feed themselves. To me this is a simple fact. The collapse of
              civilisation is inevitable, and drawing nearer.

              Despite the overwhelming evidence it took me a long time to accept this
              conclusion.

              On 01/06/2004, at 10:16 AM, Elinor Jean wrote:

              > Quick question: If we go back to hunter gathering, can we feed the
              > entire
              > world population?
              >
              > Or do we need agriculture?
              >
              > E.
            • Adam Carter
              Message 6 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                Elin, this issue is also tied in with the one on agriculture.

                You raise valid points about modern factory farming. However to raise
                plants for purely anthropocentric needs requires large scale land
                clearing and therefore loss of habitat for wild animals. In the modern
                agricultural world there is no right or wrong answer as to how one
                chooses to meet their nutritional needs.

                If you are looking for ethical answers, I suggest you look to how
                hunter gatherers lived within their ecosystems. Fukuoka style animal
                raising methods are a small step in that direction. It is closer to
                hunting wild animals and that (in a closed ecosystem) is the only long
                term sustainable way for humans to exist.

                Cheers, Adam.

                On 01/06/2004, at 10:13 AM, Elinor Jean wrote:

                > Very interested to read the ideas about animal raising fukuoka fashion.
                >
                > This leads into something that interests me. I have heard that it is
                > far
                > less efficient to get one's protein from animals as opposed to from
                > plants
                > such as soy beans, i.e. that for the amount (nutrients, energy) you put
                > into raising animals versus plants, you get a lot more out of the
                > plants.
                >
                > How do we deal with this ethically, if we are trying to minimise our
                > impact
                > on the land?
                >
                > cheers, Elin.
              • Royal A. Purdy
                Message 7 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude
                  Catry" <instinct@s...> wrote:
                  > masnobu fukuoka shows us the way to get from this agriculture to
                  becomes
                  > animals move a lot to be able to graze or feed naturally without
                  impacting
                  > the land , plants have the advantage of being grounded.
                  > anyone interested by this challenge ?
                  >
                  > jean-claude
                  >

                  > > FIRST, DO NO FARM
                  > > A New Book Argues That Agriculture Is a Disaster

                  Jean-claude and Folks,

                  I've spent many years reading and writing about Masanobu
                  Fukuokas' methods from the perspective that "Natural
                  Farming" could and should be applied to general large scale
                  commercial type animal (dairy and meat) livestock farming-cropping
                  systems. I think readers here would be interested to learn that other
                  animal husbandry writers in the past have also advocated the basic
                  type tenets as Fukuokas four principals; namely F. Newman Turner
                  during the forties and fifties.

                  Turner was a follower of Sir Albert Howard, the well-known organic
                  author-authority. Basically Turner saw no need to use synthetic
                  Fertilizers (he advocated ambient pasture compost amendments); he saw
                  no profit from monocultures, sprays or herbicides (complex pasture
                  systems utilize "weeds", so there is very little need to act
                  on
                  controlling them); No (Deep) tillage or anything more than very
                  shallow tillage is ever needed. There are other advocates of these
                  methods too all based on a common pasture and pasture cropping
                  advocacy that slipped from view with the green revolution; you just
                  have to look for the information from a different interpretation; one
                  that includes (not excludes) animals.

                  As I have written on my website (www.ahtuttle.com); I believe and
                  continue to promote that I am very sure that Fukuokas' thesis of
                  (actual commercial) farming methods without addressing an advocacy of
                  animal hoof actions and pastures influence is as blatantly incorrect
                  and miss-informed from a economical, social, and environmental
                  perspective as is that of any conventional agri-chemical and bio-
                  technical type system agriculture with their presumed miss-uses'.

                  I advocate that pasture and pasture cropping methods are sustainable
                  and valid from anywhere between 10 and ten thousand animal
                  equivalents or more.

                  "The Elysian Fields Pasture Project" is updated seasonally as
                  time
                  allows.

                  Be safe. Sincerely,

                  Royal A. Purdy, author `The Elysian Fields Pasture Project"
                  A. H. Tuttle and Company
                  Farmington, NY. , U.S.A.
                  Upstate New York, Finger Lakes Region
                • Roxann
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                    I do not think there is a quick fix nor an easy answer to the question.
                    First of all, our world's population is so dense because of many
                    reasons, but mass agricultural practices probably contribute to it.
                    There was a time when each family had to provide their own food through
                    small farms, and they traded and sold off the excess. Personally, I
                    like that concept and will soon be doing it myself. Even if each
                    community had a garden, or several gardens, depending upon how large the
                    community, it would go a long ways in providing food. The necessities
                    for life do not include instant, prepackaged and highly processed foods
                    and I think a good diet can be had from eating the seasonal produce that
                    grows in a local garden with a couple chickens for eggs and a goat for
                    milk could supply a community with a wealth of healthy and very
                    cost-reduced food. Of course, that would require a radical change of
                    paradigm for almost everyone in the US and maybe most other countries.
                    But it seems a better answer than mega-agriculture or hunter-gathering.

                    Roxann

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                      When I had only a single goat, she would not leave my immediate presence
                      because she was afraid to go far from her "leader". When she kidded,
                      the two of them would venture a little farther, but never to far away
                      and now that I have a horse they would follow the horse wherever he
                      goes, since he is now the leader. I think on 40 acres you could expect
                      your goats to stay fairly close as long as it's just the two of them.
                      Mine are also very wary of predators and won't go far for that reason.
                      Soon we'll be moving to 160 acres with plenty of forage available for
                      the animals and they will have more room to roam. If I planned to raise
                      them for meat, I'd like to do it the way that was suggested earlier,
                      with them pretty much being "supported" more than farmed. But my goats
                      need to be tame enough to milk and the chickens would be massacred by
                      predators overnight, and even the horse will need shelter and protection
                      from predators at night.

                      roxann

                    • Mary Jo Terry
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                        We have a Nigerian dwarf billie goat. He is a pet so I have no trouble getting him to come when I'm outside. We had two females and the neighbors across the road raise meat goats so I couldn't keep them home and finally lost them. I could never keep them in a fence, even Happy (the pet)so I just let him run loose. He doesn't go far.
                        Jo_Al
                      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                          a friend of mine in France have a herd of dairy goat ( alpine ) and he raise
                          them free range in the montain ( he have a whole valley to himself ) after
                          he milk them in the morning he let them go and when evening comes either
                          they come back themselves or he call them , they can be all the way up on
                          the crest but they come back .
                          at home i raised 3 goats free range also , their pen and shelter was allways
                          open as long they were small everything was fine but getting older they
                          adventured farther and farther away and peoples complained because they were
                          on the side of the road ( not that many car goes thru )so i had to keep them
                          on a line .
                          jean-claude

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                            > Quick question: If we go back to hunter gathering, can we feed the entire
                            > world population?
                            >
                            > Or do we need agriculture?

                            quick answer .
                            the world population is in proportion of available foods , when hunting
                            gathering was the way to get food , earth had a certain number of peoples
                            that could be supported , agriculture is in fact the cause of
                            overpopulation .
                            the real question is: do we need to continuouslly produce more foods to the
                            point of exhausting the soils and compromising biodiversity , so we can give
                            birth to more peoples .? when is it going to stop ?

                            grain based diet will be fine except that the health status of humanity
                            declined drastically with the introduction of grains (stature and brain
                            sized diminished , degenerative diseases and tooth decay appeared , big
                            scale violence got established etc... and more there is peoples on earth
                            with a physiological sense of lack ( due to malnutrition ), more
                            destruction of ecosystems will occur ...

                            better get fed properlly ( in accordance with our genetic and evolution )
                            and becomes mindfull of human impact on earth as the hunter gatherer "had "
                            to.
                            having indecent availability of foods makes us mindless about our place in
                            the web of life .
                            jean-claude

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                              > Very interested to read the ideas about animal raising fukuoka fashion.
                              >
                              > This leads into something that interests me. I have heard that it is far
                              > less efficient to get one's protein from animals as opposed to from plants
                              > such as soy beans, i.e. that for the amount (nutrients, energy) you put
                              > into raising animals versus plants, you get a lot more out of the plants.
                              >
                              > How do we deal with this ethically, if we are trying to minimise our
                              impact
                              > on the land?

                              those calculation are based on the assumption that animals rasied for food
                              compete with humans for the same ressources . this is true only in the
                              context of factory farming where grains are fed to animals ( that is stupid
                              to spend so much energy to grow grain then feed them to animals )
                              the truth is that herbivorous animals are not grain eater to start with ,
                              they eat foliage and grasses sometimes with somes seeds with it but never
                              naked grains . herbivorous animals have no instinctive regulation of their
                              intake with naked grains they will eat to death ,proof that it is not their
                              original food .

                              even fowls are not grains eaters either , in the wild the ancestor of
                              chickens are bugs and small animals eaters fisrt then greens and seed the
                              last : ducks are also greens and bugs small animals eater , turkey and
                              others the same .
                              only pigeons are seeds eaters .
                              none of the animals we are used to eat , makes a healthy meat when raised on
                              grains ( it have to do especially with the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty
                              acids )

                              animals raised the natural way eat what humans don't eat while benefiting
                              whole ecosytems .
                              to give you an image i comes from the mountains of the pyrennees where not
                              that much can be grown as plants due to the elevation, but the whole
                              mountains is free range paradise for many domestic animals ( horses ,sheeps
                              ,goats cows) they cohabite with other wild big mammals like wild boar ,
                              mouflon ( wild sheep ) , and izards.( wild antelope )and they have done so
                              since prehistoric time . the whole ecosytem of the alpine meadows is rich
                              and diverse .

                              also tending plants demand way more human energy imput for what you get as
                              calory than free range animals raising .
                              jean-claude
                            • Socrate Hatoum
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 1, 2004
                                YES AGRICULTURE IS A DISASTER. YES WE CAN FEED THE ENTIRE WORLD.
                                ANYWAY WE WAN'T BE SO MANY
                                On mardi, juin 1, 2004, at 02:16 Europe/Zurich, Elinor Jean wrote:

                                > Quick question: If we go back to hunter gathering, can we feed the
                                > entire
                                > world population?
                                >
                                > Or do we need agriculture?
                                >
                                > E.
                                >
                                > At 12:26 AM 5/28/04 -0400, you wrote:
                                >> FIRST, DO NO FARM
                                >> A New Book Argues That Agriculture Is a Disaster
                                >>
                                >> Enviros are familiar with critiques of large-scale,
                                >> chemical-dependent agriculture, but Richard Manning has bigger fish
                                >> to fry: In his new book "Against the Grain," Manning argues that
                                >> agriculture itself -- the whole shebang -- is a disaster, a
                                >> "dangerous and consuming beast of a social system." Hunter-gatherers
                                >> not only had more fun, he says, but they were demonstrably healthier.
                                >> Agriculture led to a small, rich upper class and a large, unhealthy
                                >> laborer class, not to mention endless cycles of famine. Michelle
                                >> Nijhuis reviews Manning's provocative new book -- today on the Grist
                                >> Magazine website.
                                >>
                                >> today in Grist: Richard Manning's "Against the Grain" gives farming
                                >> a big thumbs-down -- by Michelle Nijhuis
                                >> <http://www.gristmagazine.com/books/books052704.asp?source=daily>
                                >>

                                >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >>

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                Socrate Hatoum
                                33 (0)1 40 70 19 91
                              • Socrate Hatoum
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 1, 2004
                                  A MIXTURE OF FAVA BEAN AND CHICKPEAS IS RICHER IN PROTEIN THAN ANY
                                  TOXIN FULL STEAK. THE EGYPTIANS :LIVE EATING IT THEY CALL IT FALAFEL
                                  AND IT DELICIOUS
                                  On mardi, juin 1, 2004, at 02:13 Europe/Zurich, Elinor Jean wrote:

                                  > Very interested to read the ideas about animal raising fukuoka fashion.
                                  >
                                  > This leads into something that interests me. I have heard that it is
                                  > far
                                  > less efficient to get one's protein from animals as opposed to from
                                  > plants
                                  > such as soy beans, i.e. that for the amount (nutrients, energy) you put
                                  > into raising animals versus plants, you get a lot more out of the
                                  > plants.
                                  >
                                  > How do we deal with this ethically, if we are trying to minimise our
                                  > impact
                                  > on the land?
                                  >
                                  > cheers, Elin.
                                  >
                                  > At 11:50 PM 5/30/04 -0400, you wrote:
                                  >> One of our school families raised & loved them, yet had many an
                                  >> occasion to
                                  >> quote the (Middle Eastern?) saying, "If you have no troubles, get a
                                  >> goat." This
                                  >> may have had to do with many temptations on the neighbor's property.
                                  >>
                                  >> Ralph wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> I've raised goats. o keep them close to you, always feed them
                                  >> something even
                                  >>> if they forage for most of their diet. I kept a few alfafa pellets
                                  >>> and
                                  >> would
                                  >>> feed three or four goats a handful a day.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Also, if youring a bell or beat on a tin pan just before you give
                                  >>> them the
                                  >>> alfalfa, they will always come to you when you ring if they escape.

                                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  >>

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Socrate Hatoum
                                  33 (0)1 40 70 19 91