Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 735

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2004

      > I think the key to this method would be pairing the
      > species with the right environment. For example,
      > imagine a large fenced acreage for swine with a
      > veritable forest of pig-food producing trees that
      > ripen and drop their various goodies all throughout
      > the year. Contiguous gated planting areas for root
      > foods such as potatoes, rutabegas, carrots, and other
      > seasonal crops could be opened for additional forage
      > as appropriate.
      >
      > The result would be a healthy herd of swine that
      > required little care or expense. Culling the herd of
      > its excess young males would produce top quality meat
      > at very low cost. Also, weaners could be sold for cash
      > income.

      it is interesting you take the ex of pigs ,it have allways been my intention
      to raise wild boar that way . i was born on a little village in sologne in
      france , wild boars have been raised that way since the kings used the land
      as a hunting ground , my celtic ancestors were also relying on wild boar
      meat, they were helping along the animals with crops .
      now in sologne fields of corn grains or roots are planted just for wild
      life to be hunted .
      in the south of france where wheat was not grown chestnut was the bread and
      wild boars are living underneath .
      i used to harvest chestnut to sale to Paris we were sleeping in the
      special house where chestnuts were dried and every night we could hear wild
      boars eating with much noise and also much "handiness" , they are skinning
      the chestnuts before eating them just with their teeths and tongue .

      anyway that was my plan when i was taking care of a 30 acres property , now
      that i lost it i am with only 5 acres and can't do it because allready 2
      third of my property is off fence for deers to be favorised and a third is
      for trees bushes and vegetables , wild boars wil displace the deer .

      jean-claude