Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 735

  • H R Baxter
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2004
      --------- snip ---------

      > I am very interested myself to extend masanobu's
      aproach to animal raising the natural way...animals
      move a lot to be able to graze or feed naturally
      without impacting the land...anyone interested by this
      challenge?...jean-claude

      -------------------------

      I think the key to this method would be pairing the
      species with the right environment. For example,
      imagine a large fenced acreage for swine with a
      veritable forest of pig-food producing trees that
      ripen and drop their various goodies all throughout
      the year. Contiguous gated planting areas for root
      foods such as potatoes, rutabegas, carrots, and other
      seasonal crops could be opened for additional forage
      as appropriate.

      The result would be a healthy herd of swine that
      required little care or expense. Culling the herd of
      its excess young males would produce top quality meat
      at very low cost. Also, weaners could be sold for cash
      income.

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2004

        > I think the key to this method would be pairing the
        > species with the right environment. For example,
        > imagine a large fenced acreage for swine with a
        > veritable forest of pig-food producing trees that
        > ripen and drop their various goodies all throughout
        > the year. Contiguous gated planting areas for root
        > foods such as potatoes, rutabegas, carrots, and other
        > seasonal crops could be opened for additional forage
        > as appropriate.
        >
        > The result would be a healthy herd of swine that
        > required little care or expense. Culling the herd of
        > its excess young males would produce top quality meat
        > at very low cost. Also, weaners could be sold for cash
        > income.

        it is interesting you take the ex of pigs ,it have allways been my intention
        to raise wild boar that way . i was born on a little village in sologne in
        france , wild boars have been raised that way since the kings used the land
        as a hunting ground , my celtic ancestors were also relying on wild boar
        meat, they were helping along the animals with crops .
        now in sologne fields of corn grains or roots are planted just for wild
        life to be hunted .
        in the south of france where wheat was not grown chestnut was the bread and
        wild boars are living underneath .
        i used to harvest chestnut to sale to Paris we were sleeping in the
        special house where chestnuts were dried and every night we could hear wild
        boars eating with much noise and also much "handiness" , they are skinning
        the chestnuts before eating them just with their teeths and tongue .

        anyway that was my plan when i was taking care of a 30 acres property , now
        that i lost it i am with only 5 acres and can't do it because allready 2
        third of my property is off fence for deers to be favorised and a third is
        for trees bushes and vegetables , wild boars wil displace the deer .

        jean-claude