Re: "evil" herbs

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2004
      Carlo.....I am confused by what you wrote. Do you mean savage
      weeds? Or do you mean that plants like the mustard have grown so
      tall that they are shading out the other plants....wheat, potatoes
      and corn?

      Gloria, Texas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, carlo deprado
      <carlo.deprado@t...> wrote:
      > hi everybody,
      > i'm afraid i need some more tips from some more experienced people,
      > concerning herbs the grow faster and higher than the one i try to
      grow:
      > wheat, potatoes and corn.
      > provided that i've been sowing clover, mustard and brocoli from
      last autumn
      > on and most of the field in all covered, many 'savage' herbs
      actually grow
      > and i think my young plants lack light and space.
      > I'm afraid of cutting random as if it was a grass field even at a
      certain
      > height to preserve the right plants, but of course i should act
      some kind
      > of strategy, as i now know i was wrong when i thought clover would
      win all
      > other plants.
      > I'm probably late, but does anyone know what to do to properly
      intervene?
      > save me and my plants,
      > help!
      >
      > carlo
    • Stephen Inniss
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15, 2004
        Hello Carlo,

        My experience was like yours: simply seeding in clover and my crops was
        not enough if the land had been occupied first by other plants and if I
        did nothing else. This was true for everything I tried, from simply
        seeding an existing spot to actively tilling it over and then planting.
        The surviving roots and seeds took over, and I had a patch of
        buttercup, comfrey, and grasses, with a minority of clover and a few
        struggling edible plants. I've found that there are two approaches that
        work fairly well, though.
        1) Start on ground that has no vegetation (these are areas where I
        had dumped dirt from other operations, sheet-mulched, or removed
        artificial coverings that the previous holder of my land had put in
        place). Once the clover and crops are well established, they can keep
        out the weeds if they get a little help now and then.
        2) Till, maybe more than once, and then plant, with the clover (or
        other cover crop), and then pick out the most agressive weeds in the
        first year. Again, you do get a patch that resists undesireable plants,
        but it does need a little help in the following years.

        Once established, these systems do take a bit of maintenance to keep
        going (I weed once in a while), but not nearly as much work as a mix of
        crops and bare soil. Weeds have much more difficulty invading once the
        clover is well established. I have gotten this to work with clover plus
        sweetcorn/potatoes/squash, and it gives large volumes of food for very
        little labour. I am trying it this year with clover plus other crops.

        I also grow a mix of vegetables and herbs (lettuces, chicory, kale,
        dill, cress, mustard greens, carrots, oregano, lemon balm, swiss chard,
        and in summer tomatoes) in a small unheated greenhouse. This has been
        self-seeding and mostly self-maintaining for a couple of years now, but
        then it is mostly protected from invasion. Also, to be honest, it does
        not produce the volume of food that it would if I kept everything in
        rows and regularly seeded, fertilized, and pulled weeds. On the other
        hand, I get food from it most of the year, and I do very little work
        there. I do go in and remove thistles, grasses, and comfrey every few
        months, and if I did not interfere the lemon balm and oregano would take
        over the entire space. Also, the volunter tomatoes each spring are not
        enough to maintain the level of production I want, so every year I add
        some tomatoes I've started indoors.

        Mr. Fukuoka started with conventional rice fields, which must have been
        close to weed-free at the start, and then he flooded them for a while
        each year, which must have prevented many kinds of weeds from taking
        hold. It's also worth noting that the Fukuoka family did maintain a
        regular rows-and-hoeing vegetable garden. I'm not sure how much of their
        food came from the semi-wild vegetables they used an understory in the
        orchards -- some, surely, but I would bet that it was not the majority.

        I treat Mr. Fukuoka's ideal of "no weeding" as an ideal to strive for,
        but I do weed, especially when I am setting up in the first place. If I
        find I am doing a lot of weeding, then I ask myself how the situation
        could have been set up better in the first place, and try something
        different.

        Is your area one in which white clover thrives naturally? Mine is, and
        Mr. Fukuoka's was, but some people on this list who live in much drier
        or hotter climates have had no luck at all with it. They may be able to
        give you some good alternatives.

        How big is your area? If it's not acres and acres, it might be practical
        to at least pull up the undesireable plants in a small circle around
        each your corn and potato plants. I had the same problem you had when I
        first tried this, and didn't take corrective action until well into the
        summer. I still did manage to get some production, though not as much as
        a conventional gardener or farmer would and not so much as I get now.
        So, I don't think it's too late yet. I've never grown wheat for food, so
        I'm not sure what to do about the wheat. Good luck! Let us know how it
        comes out, and we will all be wiser for it.

        Stephen