Re: introduction and info

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2004
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "carrieshepard"
      <carrieshepard@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Gloria,
      >
      > I just yesterday sprinkled some nicotiana seeds on one raised bed
      of
      > potatoes and bush beans. I'll report back on how this works for me.
      >
      > Carrie
      > in OK

      Well...it ought to be a really pretty bed to be sure. Both potatoes
      and beans have pretty flowers....and the nicotiana is no slouch
      either. Can't wait to hear your results, Carrie.

      Are you surviving all these big storms all right there? We got hit
      again last night. It has slowed me down considerably trying to
      plant....as well as trying to keep plants from being drowned. We had
      3 inches of rain the other day. I forgot to empty the rain gauge.
      It topped off....holds 5 inches....so I know we got at least 2 more
      last night. Winds have been a huge problem, too, but the hail has
      missed us. It wouldn't be the first time hail and wind had taken all
      my fruit from the trees.....or drowned a garden bed...even a raised
      one.

      Gloria, Texas
    • carrieshepard
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2004
        > Are you surviving all these big storms all right there? We got
        hit
        > again last night. >
        > Gloria, Texas

        Hi Gloria,

        We had lots of water and high winds, but thankfully no bad damage at
        our place. It's definitely wetter than usual, but it's now clear
        skies and dry enough that I have to water my seedlings daily again.

        We mulched my main garden heavily with grass hay I bought over the
        weekend just this morning. Peas are blooming now, tomatoes look
        nice and strong, onions are growing quickly, rhubarb looks beautiful,
        picking asparagus every other day, and it's nice and lush looking
        with all the irises blooming now. My roses are beginning to bloom
        and I'm sure would already have if the goats hadn't eaten the tops
        off them before I got their fence secured.

        I planted garlic bulbs around my fruit trees and I'm going to mulch
        them and try seeding more perennial herbs as I have the time. I
        have a packet of daikon radish seeds that I want to also plant
        around the place and see how they work in different parts of my
        landscape.

        I've been mulching my flower bed behind my house with the droppings
        and hay from the bunny cottage and when it's full I'll begin
        mulching my grape vines and other flower beds as well. I'd like to
        get some more geese soon for the orchard also.

        Blessings,
        Carrie