Re: introduction and info

  • carrieshepard
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2004
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Gloria C. Baikauskas"
      <gcb49@f...> wrote:
      > The flower, nicotiana, is reportedly good to plant with
      > potatoes....as it will attract the potato beetle away from the
      > potatoes. Just thought I would add that information. It is also
      > known as flowering tobacco. I have read this several times, but I
      > have yet to try it here.
      >
      > Gloria, Texas

      Hi Gloria,

      I just yesterday sprinkled some nicotiana seeds on one raised bed of
      potatoes and bush beans. I'll report back on how this works for me.

      Carrie
      in OK
    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2004
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "carrieshepard"
        <carrieshepard@y...> wrote:

        > Hi Gloria,
        >
        > I just yesterday sprinkled some nicotiana seeds on one raised bed
        of
        > potatoes and bush beans. I'll report back on how this works for me.
        >
        > Carrie
        > in OK

        Well...it ought to be a really pretty bed to be sure. Both potatoes
        and beans have pretty flowers....and the nicotiana is no slouch
        either. Can't wait to hear your results, Carrie.

        Are you surviving all these big storms all right there? We got hit
        again last night. It has slowed me down considerably trying to
        plant....as well as trying to keep plants from being drowned. We had
        3 inches of rain the other day. I forgot to empty the rain gauge.
        It topped off....holds 5 inches....so I know we got at least 2 more
        last night. Winds have been a huge problem, too, but the hail has
        missed us. It wouldn't be the first time hail and wind had taken all
        my fruit from the trees.....or drowned a garden bed...even a raised
        one.

        Gloria, Texas
      • carrieshepard
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2004
          > Are you surviving all these big storms all right there? We got
          hit
          > again last night. >
          > Gloria, Texas

          Hi Gloria,

          We had lots of water and high winds, but thankfully no bad damage at
          our place. It's definitely wetter than usual, but it's now clear
          skies and dry enough that I have to water my seedlings daily again.

          We mulched my main garden heavily with grass hay I bought over the
          weekend just this morning. Peas are blooming now, tomatoes look
          nice and strong, onions are growing quickly, rhubarb looks beautiful,
          picking asparagus every other day, and it's nice and lush looking
          with all the irises blooming now. My roses are beginning to bloom
          and I'm sure would already have if the goats hadn't eaten the tops
          off them before I got their fence secured.

          I planted garlic bulbs around my fruit trees and I'm going to mulch
          them and try seeding more perennial herbs as I have the time. I
          have a packet of daikon radish seeds that I want to also plant
          around the place and see how they work in different parts of my
          landscape.

          I've been mulching my flower bed behind my house with the droppings
          and hay from the bunny cottage and when it's full I'll begin
          mulching my grape vines and other flower beds as well. I'd like to
          get some more geese soon for the orchard also.

          Blessings,
          Carrie