using ground cover

  • SArjuna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2004
      Hi,
      We are enthusiastic about changing our garden over to no till permanent
      beds, and have a question about permanent ground cover.
      Do you actually plant white clover in the beds, then plant various
      vegetables in the clover? Doesn't the clover "strong arm" the veggies?
      Do you also cover the pathways with clover?
      I'd appreciate hearing from some folks who have done this!
      Thanks,
      Shivani in WI, USA

    • Stephen Inniss
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2004
        Hello,

        I've had good luck with clover plus some of the larger plants (squash,
        sweet corn, potatoes, melons, broad beans). In my climate (northwest
        coast of North America) clover is an ideal ground cover for walkways and
        between trees as well. In or out of vegetable plantings, it is much
        better than the usual first colonists on disturbed ground here (grasses
        or buttercup), since it is less likely to overwhelm other plants. I
        tried clover with some other, smaller vegetables such as carrot,
        oriental cabbages, and bush beans, but deer ate those the past two
        years. I may be successful in excluding the deer this year, so hope to
        be able to post some results at the end of the season.

        Some members of this group have experimented with other ground covers,
        depending on the climates they live in.

        Stephen