Fukuoka Backyard Gardening

  • benonthenet
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2004
      Hi all!

      Does anyone have good results applying fukuoka in an arid/semi-arid
      climate? I live in Southern California (Long Beach) where we get
      about 12-15" of rain yearly. This little rainfall and forced me to
      begining to learn to garden differently than when I lived on east
      coast USA.

      Also, how do you apply fukuoka's technique in your backyard -
      especially when it's tiny?

      Please help.

      Thanks!

      Benjamin
    • susan macias
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 22, 2004
        Hi Benjamin,

        I live in Long Beach also, and I'm limited to a small front yard. I'm growing garlic in my landlord's lawn, and use Dutch white clover under the roses and orange tree. Summer irrigation is a must, unless you only grow local sages. There are some local permies whose landlord allowed them to build a rainwater cistern in the backyard. I wish!

        Email me, or come by 117 1/2 Grand most mornings.

        Must go to work now.
        -susan
        smacias@...