Re: [fukuoka_farming] introduction and info

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 22, 2004
      > Apart from this, i'm about to put into soil potatos too; of course i'm not
      > going to use seddballs in this case, but i don't know how to manage the
      > whole thing without 'touching' the ground, as to say without damaging the
      > soil structure.

      i have been growing potatoes directly on sod with heavy mulch on top .
      recover with more mulch as it grows . by end of summer you can harvest your
      potatoes cleaned and you got a bed free of weeds top sow winter crops or
      ground .cover
      the inconvenience is that you need to harvest mulch ( grasses for me ) on a
      wide surface to maintain your mulch cover over the bed .makes sure also no
      light have access to the tubers .

      i have tried to bury them also but didn't find any avantages than to grow
      them directly on the surface of the sod.( to note that it was a natural
      prairie not a lawn so the plants are way farther apart and don't form a
      tight sod .( i have no experience with lawn type of sod )

      jean-claude
    • Stephen Inniss
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 23, 2004
        Hello Carlo,

        I think that by definition there is no way to grow and harvest root
        crops without disturbing the soil, unless you are constantly adding
        loads of mulch, as Jean-Claude has described. However, instead of
        traditional potato growing I've planted clover after the potatoes went
        in, and scattered more seed again after I took the potatoes out (taking
        potatoes out of the ground is pretty hard on the clover, but some plants
        survive and seed generates the rest). This is not perfect, but at least
        the soil does not stay bare. Clover keeps less desireable plants from
        colonizing the patch; so far I've found that putting in the potatoes and
        just leaving it does not work very well (I get a carpet of buttercup and
        grasses, and the potatoes do not do so well), and may be even worse than
        bare ground. A good seeding of clover, plus removal of less desireable
        plants in the first year, seems to give decent results. In fact, I think
        my results are better than attempting to keep the soil around the
        potatoes bare. Clover seems to help keep up soil moisture levels in the
        summer, possibly by shading the soil, and prevents leaching and erosion
        when the winter rains hit, and in addition there may be some leakage
        from the clover's nitrogen fixing activities. I'll be able to say more
        after a couple more years of this, but so far I can say that a modest
        patch of potatoes in this style provides some hundreds of pounds of
        potato with very little effort (dig to plant, almost no weeding, and dig
        again to harvest).

        Stephen
      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 23, 2004
          (dig to plant, almost no weeding, and dig
          > again to harvest).

          and there is no reason to be afraid of disturbing the soils from time to
          time . wild boars do that very well to eat roots and give a chance to a new
          generation of plants to fill this new ecological niche . digging out roots
          is not the same disturbance than tilling the ground . but again if we plant
          potatoe in a monoculture fashion we are left with a completelly bare soil
          after harvest. better to space potatoe plants among other plants .
          jean-claude
        • Gloria C. Baikauskas
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 24, 2004
            The flower, nicotiana, is reportedly good to plant with
            potatoes....as it will attract the potato beetle away from the
            potatoes. Just thought I would add that information. It is also
            known as flowering tobacco. I have read this several times, but I
            have yet to try it here.

            Gloria, Texas
          • neptune_violet
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 25, 2004
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Gloria C. Baikauskas"
              <gcb49@f...> wrote:

              Thanks Gloria;

              I am planning on planting potatoes this year. I'm going to try out
              your suggestion.

              I am new to this group. I joined it to learn more about what fukuoka
              farming was about. My garden has been a bionintensive one, but I
              think I would like to try sectioning off some of it for fukuoka
              farming.

              Lorrie, Massachusetts

              The flower, nicotiana, is reportedly good to plant with
              > potatoes....as it will attract the potato beetle away from the
              > potatoes. Just thought I would add that information. It is also
              > known as flowering tobacco. I have read this several times, but I
              > have yet to try it here.
              >
              > Gloria, Texas
            • pollywog
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 25, 2004
                ---Is a trap crop, best planted a distance from potatoes, not with
                them. Lobelia (incarnata & cardinal), ditto.

                They will attract the potato beetle, so to plant them together with
                'taters, will bring those pesties hot-n-heavy to the area. Best to
                plant a bit out and away from the "crop" spots, if one is hoping to
                keep the beetle away from the people-food. deb

                <gcb49@f...> wrote:
                > The flower, nicotiana, is reportedly good to plant with
                > potatoes....as it will attract the potato beetle away from the
                > potatoes. Just thought I would add that information. It is also
                > known as flowering tobacco. I have read this several times, but I
                > have yet to try it here.
                >
                > Gloria, Texas
              • carrieshepard
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30, 2004
                  <gcb49@f...> wrote:
                  > The flower, nicotiana, is reportedly good to plant with
                  > potatoes....as it will attract the potato beetle away from the
                  > potatoes. Just thought I would add that information. It is also
                  > known as flowering tobacco. I have read this several times, but I
                  > have yet to try it here.
                  >
                  > Gloria, Texas

                  Hi Gloria,

                  I just yesterday sprinkled some nicotiana seeds on one raised bed of
                  potatoes and bush beans. I'll report back on how this works for me.

                  Carrie
                  in OK
                • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 1, 2004
                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "carrieshepard"
                    <carrieshepard@y...> wrote:

                    > Hi Gloria,
                    >
                    > I just yesterday sprinkled some nicotiana seeds on one raised bed
                    of
                    > potatoes and bush beans. I'll report back on how this works for me.
                    >
                    > Carrie
                    > in OK

                    Well...it ought to be a really pretty bed to be sure. Both potatoes
                    and beans have pretty flowers....and the nicotiana is no slouch
                    either. Can't wait to hear your results, Carrie.

                    Are you surviving all these big storms all right there? We got hit
                    again last night. It has slowed me down considerably trying to
                    plant....as well as trying to keep plants from being drowned. We had
                    3 inches of rain the other day. I forgot to empty the rain gauge.
                    It topped off....holds 5 inches....so I know we got at least 2 more
                    last night. Winds have been a huge problem, too, but the hail has
                    missed us. It wouldn't be the first time hail and wind had taken all
                    my fruit from the trees.....or drowned a garden bed...even a raised
                    one.

                    Gloria, Texas
                  • carrieshepard
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5, 2004
                      > Are you surviving all these big storms all right there? We got
                      hit
                      > again last night. >
                      > Gloria, Texas

                      Hi Gloria,

                      We had lots of water and high winds, but thankfully no bad damage at
                      our place. It's definitely wetter than usual, but it's now clear
                      skies and dry enough that I have to water my seedlings daily again.

                      We mulched my main garden heavily with grass hay I bought over the
                      weekend just this morning. Peas are blooming now, tomatoes look
                      nice and strong, onions are growing quickly, rhubarb looks beautiful,
                      picking asparagus every other day, and it's nice and lush looking
                      with all the irises blooming now. My roses are beginning to bloom
                      and I'm sure would already have if the goats hadn't eaten the tops
                      off them before I got their fence secured.

                      I planted garlic bulbs around my fruit trees and I'm going to mulch
                      them and try seeding more perennial herbs as I have the time. I
                      have a packet of daikon radish seeds that I want to also plant
                      around the place and see how they work in different parts of my
                      landscape.

                      I've been mulching my flower bed behind my house with the droppings
                      and hay from the bunny cottage and when it's full I'll begin
                      mulching my grape vines and other flower beds as well. I'd like to
                      get some more geese soon for the orchard also.

                      Blessings,
                      Carrie