Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Introduction and question

  • Leunam
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 21, 2004
      Thanks both of you, I'm looking at the search engine, several thousands
      messages are waiting ;)

      Manuel

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
          http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=14816

        • MANDCRUSSELL@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
            Lincoln peas from Guerney

          • pollywog
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
              ---Lucia, even if you get them "late", it will be worth it. Peas,
              especially after getting established, can handle some rather icky
              temps and weather.

              I grow an indoor garden every year in my windows- no lights, and this
              last year my indoor garden had to face hard freeze temps when the
              furnace died for a few days. Peas died, (it got to less than 20*F for
              a couple of days, fer Petes Sake!), but we still got good out of them.

              Often, peas are such fast growers, one can still get a decent harvest
              even when planted late in the growing season: at the least, you should
              be able to get a few seeds for next year's use. I doubt it would be
              that desperate, though. If you want, you can grow a portion in the
              garden area, grow a couple of plants over the winter, and have seed
              for the "appropriate" window of next year's planting time. Just
              portion seed out for each area of use, or plant a few in a dedicated
              nursery plot, for propagation material to be used later.

              If you are late in season, peas clone (cutting, digging up) easily, if
              carefully. You can grow yourself a mess over the winter, save what
              seeds you can for next year, whatever. There's a great flex factor
              there. Peas are just too easy. If it's a tendril pea, easier yet. All
              peas will layer, tendril peas do so too easy for words.

              My vote is, get them Lincolns now, no matter "season" timing, and
              utilize those puppies. Heirlooms are lost because of timidity, way too
              often.

              And, bear in mind those of us who adore our heirlooms, and may be
              willing to swap, even rare for rare. I might offer a trade later for
              one of my Hillbilly Tomato clones, but don't bank on it. <G> Don't
              worry, have other plants/seeds to offer, and may need to send them out
              real fast, if the bosses decide to pull out those chemicals the
              Matriarch is wanting to use. They own the land, they have final say. Ugh.

              Hillbilly is being sent all over, though: Montana, Deleware, and
              outside the continental U.S confines. I want this type, (and this
              particular plant), to be heirloom in every sense- love my Hillbilly,
              and he deserves to live for centuries! Boy has one helluva history,
              and is one fellow deserving of long life and many years of
              productivity. Any fine heirloom deserves the same, and keeping them in
              one geographic/climactic area, reduces their chances for longevity.

              Snag those peas! Save seeds well, or grow and save! Grow a portion,
              save the rest! Flex! Flex!! "Recipe Adherent Progroms" are for those
              with no soul and no imagination! <G>

              Now, have said all that, but believe Lincolns may be not as rare as
              you were told. Check the Shumway Catalog for this year, plenty
              available. They are a rather popular heirloom, even before Shumway
              started offering them again; although there are other, hybrid as well
              as OP (as opposed to heirloom) types. No matter. If you have access, I
              say snag 'em. {:) deb

            • lucia@lrw.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
                hi deb - thanks for your feedback! I called Gurney's they were out of
                stock. But Shumway's had some, plus some cranberries I'm going to try out.
                we have alot of swampy land and blueberries dp well. so I figure the
                cranberries will do well there too, and I love them blended raw with
                soaked dates. mmmmm.

                I'm rather new at this and everyone here has been so helpful.

                I like your advise about ordering even if they come late. you're right and
                I would have done that if shumway's didn't have any.

                Lucia

                <