Re: Introduction and question

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20, 2004
      Larry and Jamie have more of Emilia's notes. I don't really have
      that much anymore sadly. Computers going down does that. All I ever
      had was what Emilia sent to me personally to assist me in 'spreading
      the word.'

      Her grace...and her enormous knowledge are so sorely missed
      here.....and in the world today.

      Manuel....before I forget....Welcome! If you will do a search of the
      messages on this group's homepage by clicking on Messages....then in
      the upper right corner where you have the opportunity to
      search....just put in Emilia. I would guess you will find a treasure
      there alone. Emilia was not one to hold back when she had something
      to say. <grins>

      What I think I got from Emilia more than anything else was the
      lecture....urging....to observe. She told me to sit down in the
      places I wanted to garden and just observe for as long a time as I
      could. Not to talk.....not to read....just to watch.

      At first I found myself a bit bored...kind of waiting for things to
      happen. Where's the magic? I can remember asking myself, as if a
      fairy would hit me on the head with a magic wand so I would see what
      Emilia was trying to tell me. Then I got it. I sat there in those
      places on different days quietly becoming almost a part of
      it...Nature...around me. I began to see more of what was happening
      there each day. I saw for the first time that my plan for garden
      beds was not as good as Nature's plan. The placing of things we
      humans configure is not always with the best of everything in mind
      that plants and their codependents need. We forget that the plants
      need friends like birds, and dragon flies, as well as bees, predatory
      beneficial insects, and such.....but Nature doesn't.

      You find yourself noticing where the water flows not just from a
      rain....but from any watering that you do yourself. It begins to
      tell you more and more as you watch it unfold. You see the when some
      plants need some protection from the heat of the day....begin to
      sense more. You begin to notice the interaction between weeds and
      what you may have planted. Plants we put in a place aren't so
      discriminatory as humans are towards 'weeds.' Emilia used to tell me
      to leave some weeds....because they help.

      I know I am going on and on....and I don't know if you think I am
      crazy....or bizarre. I just know that that is one 'gift' Emilia gave
      me. It doesn't tell you what to plant with what...followed by what
      in the first year....and the second....and so forth. Yet it was a
      big part of what she tried so hard to get me to see. Without it you
      will just go through the motions.

      Emilia could tell you where to place a water
      source....pond,etc.....and when to plant this and that. She knew so
      much more than maybe any of us through a lifetime of learning it
      herself. She was an amazing....and sometimes feisty....woman. Get
      to know her from her posts to this group. They are invaluable.

      Gloria, Texas
    • Leunam
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 21, 2004
        Thanks both of you, I'm looking at the search engine, several thousands
        messages are waiting ;)

        Manuel

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
            http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=14816

          • MANDCRUSSELL@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
              Lincoln peas from Guerney

            • pollywog
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
                ---Lucia, even if you get them "late", it will be worth it. Peas,
                especially after getting established, can handle some rather icky
                temps and weather.

                I grow an indoor garden every year in my windows- no lights, and this
                last year my indoor garden had to face hard freeze temps when the
                furnace died for a few days. Peas died, (it got to less than 20*F for
                a couple of days, fer Petes Sake!), but we still got good out of them.

                Often, peas are such fast growers, one can still get a decent harvest
                even when planted late in the growing season: at the least, you should
                be able to get a few seeds for next year's use. I doubt it would be
                that desperate, though. If you want, you can grow a portion in the
                garden area, grow a couple of plants over the winter, and have seed
                for the "appropriate" window of next year's planting time. Just
                portion seed out for each area of use, or plant a few in a dedicated
                nursery plot, for propagation material to be used later.

                If you are late in season, peas clone (cutting, digging up) easily, if
                carefully. You can grow yourself a mess over the winter, save what
                seeds you can for next year, whatever. There's a great flex factor
                there. Peas are just too easy. If it's a tendril pea, easier yet. All
                peas will layer, tendril peas do so too easy for words.

                My vote is, get them Lincolns now, no matter "season" timing, and
                utilize those puppies. Heirlooms are lost because of timidity, way too
                often.

                And, bear in mind those of us who adore our heirlooms, and may be
                willing to swap, even rare for rare. I might offer a trade later for
                one of my Hillbilly Tomato clones, but don't bank on it. <G> Don't
                worry, have other plants/seeds to offer, and may need to send them out
                real fast, if the bosses decide to pull out those chemicals the
                Matriarch is wanting to use. They own the land, they have final say. Ugh.

                Hillbilly is being sent all over, though: Montana, Deleware, and
                outside the continental U.S confines. I want this type, (and this
                particular plant), to be heirloom in every sense- love my Hillbilly,
                and he deserves to live for centuries! Boy has one helluva history,
                and is one fellow deserving of long life and many years of
                productivity. Any fine heirloom deserves the same, and keeping them in
                one geographic/climactic area, reduces their chances for longevity.

                Snag those peas! Save seeds well, or grow and save! Grow a portion,
                save the rest! Flex! Flex!! "Recipe Adherent Progroms" are for those
                with no soul and no imagination! <G>

                Now, have said all that, but believe Lincolns may be not as rare as
                you were told. Check the Shumway Catalog for this year, plenty
                available. They are a rather popular heirloom, even before Shumway
                started offering them again; although there are other, hybrid as well
                as OP (as opposed to heirloom) types. No matter. If you have access, I
                say snag 'em. {:) deb

              • lucia@lrw.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
                  hi deb - thanks for your feedback! I called Gurney's they were out of
                  stock. But Shumway's had some, plus some cranberries I'm going to try out.
                  we have alot of swampy land and blueberries dp well. so I figure the
                  cranberries will do well there too, and I love them blended raw with
                  soaked dates. mmmmm.

                  I'm rather new at this and everyone here has been so helpful.

                  I like your advise about ordering even if they come late. you're right and
                  I would have done that if shumway's didn't have any.

                  Lucia

                  <