Re: Introduction and question

  • pollywog
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20, 2004
      ---Hello Manuel!
      I would bet two of your best sources for Emelia's work and knowledge
      right now would be Gloria and Larry. You can also search the archives
      here for much input from her.

      I joined this group, to my loss, at the end of Emelia's time here.
      Having gone back through the archives here, and read what she has on
      Larry's site, I have grown to just adore that lady and her fine mind.
      Gloria had a wonderful personal relationship with her, and is always
      willing to share. Don't worry, soon as Gloria sees this from you, I'm
      sure you'll be hearing from her! Others, also, will be sharing
      resources for her work, too.

      You're going to do fine! deb

      In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Leunam" <m.iglesias@s...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone, my name is Manuel and I live in Madrid, Spain.

      > Would you kindly tell me where to find some practical information about
      > permaculture and something more about Emilia's work?
      >
      > Thank you very much
      >
      > Manuel Iglesias
    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20, 2004
        Larry and Jamie have more of Emilia's notes. I don't really have
        that much anymore sadly. Computers going down does that. All I ever
        had was what Emilia sent to me personally to assist me in 'spreading
        the word.'

        Her grace...and her enormous knowledge are so sorely missed
        here.....and in the world today.

        Manuel....before I forget....Welcome! If you will do a search of the
        messages on this group's homepage by clicking on Messages....then in
        the upper right corner where you have the opportunity to
        search....just put in Emilia. I would guess you will find a treasure
        there alone. Emilia was not one to hold back when she had something
        to say. <grins>

        What I think I got from Emilia more than anything else was the
        lecture....urging....to observe. She told me to sit down in the
        places I wanted to garden and just observe for as long a time as I
        could. Not to talk.....not to read....just to watch.

        At first I found myself a bit bored...kind of waiting for things to
        happen. Where's the magic? I can remember asking myself, as if a
        fairy would hit me on the head with a magic wand so I would see what
        Emilia was trying to tell me. Then I got it. I sat there in those
        places on different days quietly becoming almost a part of
        it...Nature...around me. I began to see more of what was happening
        there each day. I saw for the first time that my plan for garden
        beds was not as good as Nature's plan. The placing of things we
        humans configure is not always with the best of everything in mind
        that plants and their codependents need. We forget that the plants
        need friends like birds, and dragon flies, as well as bees, predatory
        beneficial insects, and such.....but Nature doesn't.

        You find yourself noticing where the water flows not just from a
        rain....but from any watering that you do yourself. It begins to
        tell you more and more as you watch it unfold. You see the when some
        plants need some protection from the heat of the day....begin to
        sense more. You begin to notice the interaction between weeds and
        what you may have planted. Plants we put in a place aren't so
        discriminatory as humans are towards 'weeds.' Emilia used to tell me
        to leave some weeds....because they help.

        I know I am going on and on....and I don't know if you think I am
        crazy....or bizarre. I just know that that is one 'gift' Emilia gave
        me. It doesn't tell you what to plant with what...followed by what
        in the first year....and the second....and so forth. Yet it was a
        big part of what she tried so hard to get me to see. Without it you
        will just go through the motions.

        Emilia could tell you where to place a water
        source....pond,etc.....and when to plant this and that. She knew so
        much more than maybe any of us through a lifetime of learning it
        herself. She was an amazing....and sometimes feisty....woman. Get
        to know her from her posts to this group. They are invaluable.

        Gloria, Texas
      • Leunam
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 21, 2004
          Thanks both of you, I'm looking at the search engine, several thousands
          messages are waiting ;)

          Manuel

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
              http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=14816

            • MANDCRUSSELL@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
                Lincoln peas from Guerney

              • pollywog
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
                  ---Lucia, even if you get them "late", it will be worth it. Peas,
                  especially after getting established, can handle some rather icky
                  temps and weather.

                  I grow an indoor garden every year in my windows- no lights, and this
                  last year my indoor garden had to face hard freeze temps when the
                  furnace died for a few days. Peas died, (it got to less than 20*F for
                  a couple of days, fer Petes Sake!), but we still got good out of them.

                  Often, peas are such fast growers, one can still get a decent harvest
                  even when planted late in the growing season: at the least, you should
                  be able to get a few seeds for next year's use. I doubt it would be
                  that desperate, though. If you want, you can grow a portion in the
                  garden area, grow a couple of plants over the winter, and have seed
                  for the "appropriate" window of next year's planting time. Just
                  portion seed out for each area of use, or plant a few in a dedicated
                  nursery plot, for propagation material to be used later.

                  If you are late in season, peas clone (cutting, digging up) easily, if
                  carefully. You can grow yourself a mess over the winter, save what
                  seeds you can for next year, whatever. There's a great flex factor
                  there. Peas are just too easy. If it's a tendril pea, easier yet. All
                  peas will layer, tendril peas do so too easy for words.

                  My vote is, get them Lincolns now, no matter "season" timing, and
                  utilize those puppies. Heirlooms are lost because of timidity, way too
                  often.

                  And, bear in mind those of us who adore our heirlooms, and may be
                  willing to swap, even rare for rare. I might offer a trade later for
                  one of my Hillbilly Tomato clones, but don't bank on it. <G> Don't
                  worry, have other plants/seeds to offer, and may need to send them out
                  real fast, if the bosses decide to pull out those chemicals the
                  Matriarch is wanting to use. They own the land, they have final say. Ugh.

                  Hillbilly is being sent all over, though: Montana, Deleware, and
                  outside the continental U.S confines. I want this type, (and this
                  particular plant), to be heirloom in every sense- love my Hillbilly,
                  and he deserves to live for centuries! Boy has one helluva history,
                  and is one fellow deserving of long life and many years of
                  productivity. Any fine heirloom deserves the same, and keeping them in
                  one geographic/climactic area, reduces their chances for longevity.

                  Snag those peas! Save seeds well, or grow and save! Grow a portion,
                  save the rest! Flex! Flex!! "Recipe Adherent Progroms" are for those
                  with no soul and no imagination! <G>

                  Now, have said all that, but believe Lincolns may be not as rare as
                  you were told. Check the Shumway Catalog for this year, plenty
                  available. They are a rather popular heirloom, even before Shumway
                  started offering them again; although there are other, hybrid as well
                  as OP (as opposed to heirloom) types. No matter. If you have access, I
                  say snag 'em. {:) deb

                • lucia@lrw.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
                    hi deb - thanks for your feedback! I called Gurney's they were out of
                    stock. But Shumway's had some, plus some cranberries I'm going to try out.
                    we have alot of swampy land and blueberries dp well. so I figure the
                    cranberries will do well there too, and I love them blended raw with
                    soaked dates. mmmmm.

                    I'm rather new at this and everyone here has been so helpful.

                    I like your advise about ordering even if they come late. you're right and
                    I would have done that if shumway's didn't have any.

                    Lucia

                    <