Soil and Health Library possible troubles

  • pollywog
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13 7:35 AM
      Those who are members of GO: this is a crosspost, so it's already been
      posted there. deb

      Have been corresponding with Steve Solomon, who runs the Soil and
      Health Library. For those who have not been there lately, (especially
      our members in Australia), here is what he is facing (copied from his
      homepage):

      ***********************************IMPORTANT NOTICE
      (11 February, 2004)

      The ability of this library to continue to provide many of our books
      is being threatened by the pending "Free Trade" agreement between the
      USA and Australia. Australia's rules regarding when books fall into
      the public domain (50 years after the author's death) may be
      harmonised with the American rules, which will cause us to remove, for
      example, Weston Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, as well
      as other titles, too. Should Australian rules be entirely harmonised
      with American rules, this library will be gutted and reduced to
      offering mostly books published prior to the mid-1930s.

      Please write your local Member in Canberra and express your concerns
      about these points in the pending Free Trade Agreement:

      * Agreement on standards of copyright protection
      * An increased term of protection for copyright material

      Tell your local Member that you do not wish Australian copyright rules
      regarding books and library practices to be changed to harmonise with
      American restrictions.
      ************************************

      Steve in Australia, and Keith in Tokyo (Journey to Forever), both put
      so much work and heart into what they do, to keep the fine books and
      intelligence available, that would otherwise be lost.

      I do not know if there is anything directly we in America can do to
      help, aside from spreading the word to our friends in Australia who
      are able to do more. The outcome of this part of the agreement may not
      be obvious, and I do not know if it is being openly discussed down
      South.

      If anyone does know of anything us Northerners can do, please let us
      know! In the meantime, please share this information.

      http://soilandhealth.org

      Thanks! deb
    • Beatrice Gilboa
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14 7:46 AM
        Thanks Deb, I found interesting reviews on soil and health web site you suggest to us.
        (do not see what I could personnaly do for the library problem... we got a lot of so called "harmonization" doing chaotic effects in the new Europe)
        Best wishes
        Beatrice
        Udim, Israel

      • les landeck
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16 8:14 PM
          --- pollywog <debhlv@...> wrote:

          Thank You

          i pasted this on to all on to all my pucky chucker
          friends.

          is fell into my, Good Morning Now What! hold the
          coffee it's a Bloody Mary morning extra celery please.

          Les

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        • pollywog
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19 11:18 AM
            --- Thanks Les... I think? <G>

            Are you speaking of chucker as in the bird? Chukar? If so, I may be
            one of your pucky chucker friends, except I don't know what pucky
            means. If it means "old redheaded hillbilly", that's me! {:)

            Now, your sentiment of forget the coffee, and let's have a Bloody Mary
            (although I do adore them with extra pickled green beans instead of
            celery!) suits my present proclivities to a "T". <G>

            All fun aside, I do feel rather helpless. I asked Steve if he knew of
            anything anyone outside of Australia could do, and he knew of nothing.
            Asked the political movers and shakers in my assorted in-laws base,
            and they came up short, also.

            The idea of such a great source of information: of books many of us
            could not afford to buy (even if we could somehow find them), getting
            lost, bugs the bejeebies out of me.

            It's also the sheer work, time, and heart Steve Solomon has put in to
            this endeavor. This is not a silly hodge-podge of stuff. He's gone to
            great lengths to make this a library of useful, needed information. I
            do not follow all the sub-libraries, although now am beginning to
            delve more into them. Even at that, however; the soil, ag, health,
            homesteading libraries have so much wonderful information, insight,
            and spirit in them.

            So, to those of you, along with Les, who are checking this out,
            thanks. From all the rest of us who benefit from his work. deb

            In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, les landeck
            <offeringsoftheland@y...> wrote:

            > --- pollywog <debhlv@y...> wrote:
            > >

            > Thank You
            >
            > i pasted this on to all on to all my pucky chucker
            > friends.
            >
            > is fell into my, Good Morning Now What! hold the
            > coffee it's a Bloody Mary morning extra celery please.
            >
            > Les

          • les landeck
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19 6:11 PM
              Pucky as in rabbit pellets or horse pellets
              chucker spreaders of puckys
              can't remember having more than 5 bloody marys in this
              life time, just might like them better with the green
              beans.

              back to the now what problem, might be good to connect
              with the Liberians they had a lot of pull getting
              Michial Moore Bowling for Columbine book published
              they seam to have a powerful Internet exchange that
              may go world wide, speaking of that could the library
              be moved to another country on the net thats not
              involved?

              sorry for the brief response pollywog but with the new
              new field, and it all being done by hand layering
              straw, chicken pucky,mushroom compost and mulched
              fines of many kinds of tree chips even my typing
              finger is tired.

              Do Well Les

              http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
            • pollywog
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20 5:47 AM
                ---Thanks for the explanation- now I know I'm a chukar pucky chucker. <G>

                Have one bloody mary with pickled beans! You'll forgo the mary, and
                bug the bartender for double shots of beans. Is methane intoxicating? <G>

                Say, like the idea of getting a hold of librarians!! Steve mentioned
                to me that he and Keith like to share as much as possible, for the
                express purpose of reducing chances the books will be lost. But yeah,
                if we could have more places such as Soil and Health, and Journey to
                Forever doing this, it could only help. It would be one helluva
                undertaking, though.

                Am woefully unaware of public domain/copyright issues in other
                countries, except that Japan (Journey to Forever) can also do what
                Steve is, so far, and at least to a large degree. My biggest concern
                is if this kind of trade agreement is coming from us in the States,
                and we are going to be doing this same kind of agreement across the
                board, we might just be the ones responsible for this happening
                country by country.

                I understand about tired fingers these great days. Have been out
                mulching the bosses' peonies, getting my strawberry beds ready for
                their coming babies, checking the healing of my garden plot, making a
                raised bed plot for a shading vine out my west window (that summer sun
                beats in)... Best of all, have been happily picking-n-munching
                dandelion and nettles and sorrel and wild onions (notice? Not "ramps")
                <G>- Ah! Heaven!! Spring Is Here!! Joy Joy Joy!!! deb