Re: What I am doing

  • pollywog
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2004
      ---My initial reaction is, let 'em grow: but it does depend on what
      else you have in mind for that spot.

      I try to remember you're in Texas, and the sun just flat out beats
      down on you hard in the summer. Because of that, I wonder if some
      other things that could use a bit of afternoon shade might be
      benefited from proximital plantings?

      The plant will, however, grow back from crown cuttings, so even if you
      cut them at soil level early in the season, there will be re-growth. A
      part of me thinks that cuttings throughout the season may give you
      just that much more good above-ground cover, along with allowing those
      roots to pull nutrients up from leach/percolation levels. So, in other
      words, which do you most want: a spot of dappled shade, or mulch?

      Ahem. All that talk to tell you, "I have no advice". <G> Did you
      honestly expect better from the deb? Wheee-Hooooo! deb

      In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@f...> wrote:

      > I forgot to ask everyone their opinion on something.
      >
      > Realizing that the Queen Anne's Lace has similar roots to a daikon
      > radish.....would you all cut the tops of the plants this year to
      > basically stop them from growing and allow the roots to
      > decompose....do the same kind of work?
      >
      > Or.....would you allow this biennial to go on and come back next year
      > with its flowers that truly help the beneficial insects, and
      > basically still do the work of the similar daikon radish?
      >
      > I am trying to make a decision on this....and hoping I don't make a
      > mistake. My gut instince initially was to cut them at soil
      > level....then plant around them...using the tops as mulch. Then I
      > began to think I would do my garden more of a favor by providing the
      > cover for those beneficials next year and allowing Nature to make the
      > decision for me. Still torn here. Need some advice.
      >
      > Gloria, Texas

    • Beatrice Gilboa
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14, 2004
        Hi Gloria,

        I understand very well from inside your questionning to yourself.

        So much that sometimes when, - like you say -
        >>"Here where so much damage has been done I so want to harm the land no
        more. "

        - I am saying to myself that maybe the best think should be to do nothing
        and not to want to "cultivate" any of "my" choice of transplant or seeded
        vegetable ...
        This idea is on one side relaxing me, and on the other side taking me again
        wanting (!) to try a compromise on the middle way... that where I'm more and
        more find myself: between the two ways doing or not doing. Hopfully there
        are farmers as John to feed us because going back to gathering time would
        make me quite starving (at least on this part of land) ...

        >> I am going to try adding some flowers and see what happens. Why flowers?
        It is because right now there is just so much green in that garden. It
        seems to scream that it wants more color.

        - It will be probably be very nice and harmonious and integrated (knowing
        your experiences of gardening), but why not to be OK whith the green that it
        is right now? Why do we want more?
        I am not asking you, but myself. (sorry for not beeing very "on the ground"
        today)

        Thanks for your last sharing
        .. that let me less alone <g>

        With love