re: Soil regeneration & Ph

  • Chris Bellanger
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 4:51 AM
      Hi,

      I don't persomally know the answers to your questions...

      My suggestion would be:

      - allow whatever grows to grow, mabee consider harvesting the tops of
      whatever 'weeds' are growing once or twice yearly and composting them, then
      putting them back on the soil

      - add to the soil a good broad spectrum rock dust that has all minerals and
      is ground down to mostly less than 0.5 microns.

      - select as many different seeds as you wish to trial plant and scatter them
      as nature would, then see what grows. then grow that.

      - as your soil gradually regenerates, repeat the above process, and you will
      find more and more plants will grow.

      - research what plants grow naturally in your area, and grow them. Often
      times we forget about all the possible diversity, focusing on what we want,
      which is often not in harmony with nature, and very narrow in choice

      - Biodynamic methods are excellent, but very labour intensive

      - deep ripping is a great method for spedding up natures healing processes,
      in some cases.

      - add lots of organic matter to the soil

      Just a few options :)

      Chris
      Melb, Oz

      >From: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      >To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 704
      >Date: 2 Apr 2004 08:28:10 -0000
      >

      >There are 3 messages in this issue.
      >
      >Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. RE: Soil Regeneration and pH
      > From: "francois daoust" <francois_daoust@...>
      > 2. Re: Re: Bogus email, updating the website, and other stuff>now
      >what I am doing
      > From: "Larry Haftl" <larry@...>
      > 3. Re: Soil Regeneration and pH
      > From: "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...>

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:20:02 +0000
      > From: "francois daoust" <francois_daoust@...>
      >Subject: RE: Soil Regeneration and pH
      >
      >It is funny, i was just thinking about this concept these days. Like Gloria
      >says it think i have new books to read and experiment to do!
      >
      >I wonder if transmutations could make the pH more basic. I want to settle
      >in
      >a area of Nova Scotia in Canada but when i look in the soil surveys the
      >soil
      >are very acidic. Horizon's soil pH is described generally as :
      >
      >A : 3,8
      >B : 4,2
      >C : 5'0
      >
      >I never care about soil pH but it think it was relativley neutral were i
      >used to garden.To lime seems to me very strange and unnatural. To be true i
      >am a bit scared of buying a land and not to be able to harvest anything
      >except evergreen buds. I remember that Massonobu Fukuoka say in his second
      >book that soil pH is just one factor between others when it come to
      >growing.
      >But when i look at the vegetation around it talks . I wonder if i take a
      >satellite map of this county it would show any transmutations revealed by
      >the land cover?
      >
      >Thanks
      >
      >Fran´┐Żois D'Aoust
      >Onatario, Canada

      >Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*
      >http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

      >Message: 2
      > Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:47:10 -0600
      > From: "Larry Haftl" <larry@...>
      >Subject: Re: Re: Bogus email, updating the website, and other stuff>now
      >what I am doing
      >
      > > Okay, Larry......Here's a bit of an update on what I am trying to do
      > > here in Venus, TX.
      >
      >Hi Gloria,
      >
      >Sounds like your growing season is doing just that... Did you ever use
      >those
      >seeds I sent you?
      >
      >A though about your Queen Ann's Lace... seems to me you are doing the right
      >thing... watching what's going on in your garden and trying to
      >understand/learn from what you are seeing. Trying to do what the garden
      >seems to be telling you to do. Will you make "mistakes"? Sure. But then so
> [...]

      What's your house worth? Click here to find out:
      http://www.ninemsn.realestate.com.au