Re: Soil Regeneration and pH

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 5:28 PM
      Francois.......The only thing I can offer is this. From an organic
      standpoint....organic practices....which Fukuoka's methods do not
      contradict re the use of chemicals....one can grow say an azalea in
      the part of Texas that I live even though the soil is not acid
      enough. One doesn't need to amend, amend, amend to make that happen.
      Normal decomposition of plant material, etc, will make the azalea
      thrive anyway without it. Chemical gardeners here would tell you to
      totally remove the soil and replace it with peat to grow azaleas.
      Yet organic growers are able to do it without all of that.

      Also....under organic methodology climate zones are fuzzy. A bay
      laurel tree should not be able to overwinter here.....but they do
      under an organic program.

      I am rather certain that under natural farming practices the same
      would be true. I haven't tried to find the limits of the above since
      I have been using Natural farming/gardening
      methodology....but....that could change before long.

      I wouldn't let the pH of the soil in Nova Scotia deter you. It may
      take work to bring the soil to the point that it won't matter,
      though. Depends on what happened before you purchased it. It could
      take years of patience. That is what I am going through here on my
      property in Texas.

      Gloria, Texas
    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 3:54 PM
        > I wonder if transmutations could make the pH more basic. I want to settle
        in
        > a area of Nova Scotia in Canada but when i look in the soil surveys the
        soil
        > are very acidic. Horizon's soil pH is described generally as :
        >
        > A : 3,8
        > B : 4,2
        > C : 5'0
        >
        > I never care about soil pH but it think it was relativley neutral were i
        > used to garden.To lime seems to me very strange and unnatural. To be true
        > am a bit scared of buying a land and not to be able to harvest anything
        > except evergreen buds. I remember that Massonobu Fukuoka say in his second
        > book that soil pH is just one factor between others when it come to
        growing.
        > But when i look at the vegetation around it talks . I wonder if i take a
        > satellite map of this county it would show any transmutations revealed by
        > the land cover?

        hello Francois

        just remember that soils are made of plants so it will be a process to
        change from the native vegetation that established itself over a very long
        period of time and made soil for it own use , to the vegetation you want .

        what is the vegetation that grow spontanouslly in nova scotia , is this
        acidity the result of centuries of acid loving plants growth or is it the
        result of short term human disturbance? ( in that case most likelly it will
        recover quicklly thru the natural regeneration process like here , alders
        growing after coniferous forest logging )

        here disturbed soils are acidic and are welcoming the scotchbroom leguminous
        plant ( rich in calcium and nitrogen ), the result is a more balanced ph
        overtime .

        blueberries are a very fine crop and it will be too bad to not takes
        advantage of this gift of the gods .

        that is a lesson given by masanobu fukuoka about natural diet for us, to
        adapt to what want to grow there , rather than forcing our human made
        desires for certain foods onto the land

        jean-claude
      • pollywog
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4 6:32 AM
          ---I know I beat this horse far too much, but I do have to say I do
          not worry about pH. The more organic material is in my soil, the most
          forgiving I find the plants and soil to be in that regard.

          This does not completely cover plants that truly need highly acidic or
          neutral soils, but then, I prefer to grow the natives, anyway. <G>

          However, I do "stand on my stand" of organic quantity being a very
          good "cushion" for differing pH soil levels.

          I took a look at a soil survey map of my area- the different types of
          soils are across the board. In checking out the soils on these few
          thousand acres I have access to, I find every kind of "pH specific"
          plant and inherent soil.

          I do my wildgardening, along with my domestic gardening, and many
          gradiations between the two. I truly have to say that my experience
          is: get the soil healthy and full of good organic matter and critters,
          you might be surprised at the range of "pH specific" plants you can
          grow just fine. deb

          In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "francois daoust"
          <francois_daoust@h...> wrote:
          > It is funny, i was just thinking about this concept these days. Like
          Gloria