RE: [fukuoka_farming] Soil Regeneration and pH

  • francois daoust
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      It is funny, i was just thinking about this concept these days. Like Gloria
      says it think i have new books to read and experiment to do!

      I wonder if transmutations could make the pH more basic. I want to settle in
      a area of Nova Scotia in Canada but when i look in the soil surveys the soil
      are very acidic. Horizon's soil pH is described generally as :

      A : 3,8
      B : 4,2
      C : 5'0

      I never care about soil pH but it think it was relativley neutral were i
      used to garden.To lime seems to me very strange and unnatural. To be true i
      am a bit scared of buying a land and not to be able to harvest anything
      except evergreen buds. I remember that Massonobu Fukuoka say in his second
      book that soil pH is just one factor between others when it come to growing.
      But when i look at the vegetation around it talks . I wonder if i take a
      satellite map of this county it would show any transmutations revealed by
      the land cover?

      Thanks

      Fran´┐Żois D'Aoust
      Onatario, Canada

      Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*
    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
        Francois.......The only thing I can offer is this. From an organic
        standpoint....organic practices....which Fukuoka's methods do not
        contradict re the use of chemicals....one can grow say an azalea in
        the part of Texas that I live even though the soil is not acid
        enough. One doesn't need to amend, amend, amend to make that happen.
        Normal decomposition of plant material, etc, will make the azalea
        thrive anyway without it. Chemical gardeners here would tell you to
        totally remove the soil and replace it with peat to grow azaleas.
        Yet organic growers are able to do it without all of that.

        Also....under organic methodology climate zones are fuzzy. A bay
        laurel tree should not be able to overwinter here.....but they do
        under an organic program.

        I am rather certain that under natural farming practices the same
        would be true. I haven't tried to find the limits of the above since
        I have been using Natural farming/gardening
        methodology....but....that could change before long.

        I wouldn't let the pH of the soil in Nova Scotia deter you. It may
        take work to bring the soil to the point that it won't matter,
        though. Depends on what happened before you purchased it. It could
        take years of patience. That is what I am going through here on my
        property in Texas.

        Gloria, Texas
      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
          > I wonder if transmutations could make the pH more basic. I want to settle
          in
          > a area of Nova Scotia in Canada but when i look in the soil surveys the
          soil
          > are very acidic. Horizon's soil pH is described generally as :
          >
          > A : 3,8
          > B : 4,2
          > C : 5'0
          >
          > I never care about soil pH but it think it was relativley neutral were i
          > used to garden.To lime seems to me very strange and unnatural. To be true
          > am a bit scared of buying a land and not to be able to harvest anything
          > except evergreen buds. I remember that Massonobu Fukuoka say in his second
          > book that soil pH is just one factor between others when it come to
          growing.
          > But when i look at the vegetation around it talks . I wonder if i take a
          > satellite map of this county it would show any transmutations revealed by
          > the land cover?

          hello Francois

          just remember that soils are made of plants so it will be a process to
          change from the native vegetation that established itself over a very long
          period of time and made soil for it own use , to the vegetation you want .

          what is the vegetation that grow spontanouslly in nova scotia , is this
          acidity the result of centuries of acid loving plants growth or is it the
          result of short term human disturbance? ( in that case most likelly it will
          recover quicklly thru the natural regeneration process like here , alders
          growing after coniferous forest logging )

          here disturbed soils are acidic and are welcoming the scotchbroom leguminous
          plant ( rich in calcium and nitrogen ), the result is a more balanced ph
          overtime .

          blueberries are a very fine crop and it will be too bad to not takes
          advantage of this gift of the gods .

          that is a lesson given by masanobu fukuoka about natural diet for us, to
          adapt to what want to grow there , rather than forcing our human made
          desires for certain foods onto the land

          jean-claude
        • pollywog
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
            ---I know I beat this horse far too much, but I do have to say I do
            not worry about pH. The more organic material is in my soil, the most
            forgiving I find the plants and soil to be in that regard.

            This does not completely cover plants that truly need highly acidic or
            neutral soils, but then, I prefer to grow the natives, anyway. <G>

            However, I do "stand on my stand" of organic quantity being a very
            good "cushion" for differing pH soil levels.

            I took a look at a soil survey map of my area- the different types of
            soils are across the board. In checking out the soils on these few
            thousand acres I have access to, I find every kind of "pH specific"
            plant and inherent soil.

            I do my wildgardening, along with my domestic gardening, and many
            gradiations between the two. I truly have to say that my experience
            is: get the soil healthy and full of good organic matter and critters,
            you might be surprised at the range of "pH specific" plants you can
            grow just fine. deb