Bogus email, updating the website, and other stuff

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 26, 2004
      Hello All,

      I just got three emails from phoney user names related to the
      fukuokafarmingol.net website. The emails had attachments that I did not
      open. If you also got them then I suggest you also NOT open those
      attachments. They could hide viruses. My web hosting service has verified
      that the emails did not originate on my server and are in no way associated
      with me or the website. Unfortuntely, I have not been able to track down the
      spammers who are doing this, but the hunt has only just begun. If you get
      ANY emails that look like they came from fukuokafarmingol.net and have
      attachments then DELETE them immediately. I am the only person who can
      legitimately send emails from that website and I NEVER broadcast emails with
      attachments and only send attachments to individuals in very specific
      circumstances with prior arrangement.

      Unrelated to that, and on a happier note, I have finished relocating to the
      Chicago area (Brookfield to be more precise), have new ISP and DSL service,
      and don't plan to do any more travelling for the next few months (visited 12
      states in the last few months as diverse as skiing at Snowmass in Colorado
      and swimming in the Gulf of Mexico at Key West, Florida). So it's time to
      update the website.

      Anyone got any ideas on how the website could be improved? I've accumulated
      the links people have mentioned in the last few months and will add them to
      the links pages, but I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts on features
      or functions that could improve the usefulness of the website. Also, are any
      more of you willing to raise your heads and let people know who and where
      you are and what you are up to? Get a listing on the "Stars" project page?

      Somewhat related to that... I put a lot of Fukuoka farming related info on
      my personal website because I was going to use it on my bit of Oregon land,
      but I don't live in Oregon anymore and went from an acre of primo land to
      bits and pieces around three adjoining urban structures (a house and two
      2-flat apartment bldgs.). As I rethink and readjust to this new situation it
      seems logical to remove the Oregon-related stuff but some of it may be
      useful to others. Does anyone have any objections to my moving the related
      pages from my personal website to the Fukuoka website? Any suggestions or
      ideas about this? Is it worth the time to do it, or is that info too
      site-specific/egocentric to be useful to others?

      And now for something completely different yet somewhat related...

      This coming September I, and my new wife, are going to start a nautical
      circumnavigation of the Eastern United States. We'll travel by boat from
      Chicago down the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland and Tennessee
      rivers to the Gulf of Mexico, along the West coast of Florida to the Keys,
      up the East Coast via the Intracontinental Waterway to New York, up the
      Hudson River and Erie canal to the Great Lakes, and eventually back to
      Chicago via both US and Canadian parts of the Great Lakes. The trip should
      take a year (if we are lucky). During that time I won't be doing any
      gardening but I will stay in touch with the internet (including a
      frequently-updated log of the journey on my personal website and possibly on
      one or more magazine websites). Because we will have a lot of time to
      explore the land as we go I would LOVE to try to meet with as many of you as
      possible as we go. Also, I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open for
      interesting agricultural projects and places that are FukuokaFarming
      compatible. So if you live along or near any of those waterways and would
      like to get together or know of interesting farms/gardens that should be
      investigated please let me know. And if you'd like to swap a few
      Fukuoka-friendly fruits and veggies for a boatride that's definitely a
      possibility. And if you don't have any fruits or veggies but would like to
      go for a ride on the boat then that is OK too. Just bring good stories...

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://LarryHaftl.com
      http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net
    • pollywog
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2004
        --- Hot Quacamoles!!!

        Glad to "see" you again, Larry!!

        The Missouri is on the eastern side of Iowa from me, but since I have
        to make trips to Iowa City anyway, and that puts me in the
        "neighborhood", just let me know your time frame, and I'll be there
        with bells on!!!!

        New Wife, a"Road Trip" with a hey nonny, and a boat, to boot. oh,
        Yeah!!!!

        Glad you're safe, sound, and back with us! deb

        In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Haftl" <larry@l...> wrote:
        >.
      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2004
          Hey Larry! Looks like you are trying to put that old adage, "A
          rolling stone gathers no moss" to the extreme test! *g*

          My mind is now at ease to know an old friend is well....and more
          importantly happy.

          I will think about your questions. I do agree the Oregon things may
          help someone else....and should probably be put on the Fukuokaol
          site.

          Gloria
        • Beatrice Gilboa
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
            Hello Larry, my brother (as we say here for a good friend)
            Released to read you. Happy for your new life and interesting traveling that make you enthousiastic.
            Sorry that Atlantic and Medeteranean sea is not part of the trip to reach my area <G>
            Admirative that you are still ready to serve the site with such travelling plans. I agree also that you should move your pages about your Oregon project to the site, it can be useful to others.
            (My page you put in last year, is to revew and quite badly made to say the thing on the long term...)
            With difficulty I take time to read the mails of this site (however very quite at the moment). I let my pottery work developping, adding to the work at garden(s!) give not much time for the computer .
            The site is quite improved in itself... i have no idea to improve it, except the translation that are not useful for one that do not know at all english -tested on friend- (I'm only speaking for the french version). But that's not the root of the site neither your concern.
            I let your question in my mind for a potential improvement.
            Thanks for your advertisment about viruses.
            Thank you for your loyalty-reliability for the site,
            Tanks also for all the participants that I don't mention by name each time I feel gratitude to.
            Thanks also Deb for your subject on amaranthe wich interested me practily speeking (I sew red ones last year but they keep dwarf at 1 meter-3 feet)
            Thanks John for your interesting ground question-answers.
            Thanks to you also Gloria for what your attention to all of us.
            Sorry not to hear anymore or enough from many of you !

            Larry the time is short till september. Enjoy it also completly. I'm with your joyfull enthousiastic projects.

            Bestwishes

            Beatrice (not re-reading, excuse-me for the english speaking errors)
            Udim, IsraelYahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Larry Haftl
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
              Hi Deb,

              > The Missouri is on the eastern side of Iowa from me, but since I have
              > to make trips to Iowa City anyway, and that puts me in the
              > "neighborhood", just let me know your time frame, and I'll be there
              > with bells on!!!!

              Our route will be down the Illinois River to the town of Grafton just north
              of St. Louis on the Mississippi, then down the Mississippi to the Ohio. Not
              very close to Iowa or the Missouri River, but you'd be welcome to mess about
              in the boat a bit if you can get into the St. Louis area (for example).
              Should get there in late September.

              Larry Haftl
              larry@...
              http://LarryHaftl.com
              http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net
            • Larry Haftl
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
                Hi GLoria,

                > Hey Larry! Looks like you are trying to put that old adage, "A
                > rolling stone gathers no moss" to the extreme test! *g*
                >
                > My mind is now at ease to know an old friend is well....and more
                > importantly happy.

                The trick is to avoid getting barnacles on my behind. It's funny... I feel
                more than happy... more like 'complete' or 'whole' for the first time.
                Pretty sure this is a 'cosmic meant to be' situation.

                > I will think about your questions. I do agree the Oregon things may
                > help someone else....and should probably be put on the Fukuokaol
                > site.

                I just uploaded the revisions to my website. All the personal
                farming/gardening stuff is not yet available, but I expect to make it so in
                the next week or so as seems appropriate. It's hard for me to really know
                what is valuable and what is just personal mind-drift.

                Larry Haftl
                larry@...
                http://LarryHaftl.com
                http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net
              • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30, 2004
                  Okay, Larry......Here's a bit of an update on what I am trying to do
                  here in Venus, TX.

                  I let my dedicated beds go back to Nature last year pretty much to
                  see what would happen with them. I wrote sometimes about the
                  successes with weeds and my strawberries. Can't remember if that was
                  on this forum, but I think so.

                  Since I never paid that much attention to weeds before in Texas (grew
                  up in the Chicago suburbs of Illinois), I am now trying to learn the
                  identities of the weeds growing in those beds. I have been observing
                  the transition of weeds, and wildflowers in the undisturbed areas of
                  my land as it heals, but I didn't pay attention to what was in the
                  beds before. I want to know what it is Nature is picking for the
                  soil.....as it heals it....rebuilds it. I have to tell you that as
                  I look out this window by my computer into what had been
                  my 'perennial' garden for a few years, garden path and all, it is so
                  lush and green. The weeds are so healthy.....and so are the
                  foundation plants in the bed. I didn't remove any plants you see
                  from the beds....I just let them go as if no gardener lives here. I
                  do point that out sometimes....that this place looks like no gardener
                  lives here.

                  Anyway....one dominant weed this year in only the older beds that
                  were once worked, amended, etc, is Queen Anne's Lace (daucas
                  carota). I have been trying to find as much information on this
                  weed.....original parent of all carrots....as possible the last week
                  or so. Fascinating for all it does. Provides a place for predator
                  insects to live and eat to their hearts' content! Green lacewings,
                  trichogramma wasps, love it. First it will attract aphids....then
                  come the predators to devour them, and any others that come along.
                  The only thing I can find it is doing to the soil itself, so far, is
                  that its deep roots bring lower nutrients back upwards, which is
                  something we all recognize with deep-rooted plants like that.

                  A companion weed of this other is some kind of I think a legume. It
                  reminds me of peas....but the leaves are longer, less round. I have
                  not identified it yet. Still looking and would love help, if someone
                  knows. It has tendrils like a pea on it. That one I assume is
                  adding nitrogen.

                  Both of these are only growing in or near the beds I let go back to
                  Nature. In these beds Johnson grass....once the predominant
                  weed....has disappeared to some extent....at least so far.

                  This year I am going to experiment with planting my cucurbits in my
                  mint patches to see if the horrid squash bug is thwarted. I have now
                  2 year old collard greens alive in the peppermint patch with no
                  insect problems there at all. I have read that the leafcutter ants
                  that plague many areas with no predator available...and so far no
                  pesticide that has worked on them.....are succumbing to mixtures made
                  from eugene oil, rosemary oils, and mint oils. I would rather see if
                  interplanting will work as well on persistant pests that sometimes
                  even normal <to me> diversity still doesn't completely work.

                  I started working on some new swales....but was thwarted by the
                  Spring rains to a large extent. If the weather stays cool enough, I
                  will work more with them.

                  The only amendment I am using at all is dry molasses on top of the
                  soil in an attempt to help the soil critters whose aid I so need
                  here.

                  I have only spottily planted so far because of the rains. I didn't
                  have access to clay....so I haven't made <or attempted to make> any
                  seedballs. Money dried up totally in November when David still
                  hadn't found a job. But....to update that at least....he starts a
                  new job in Gainesville, TX, on April 5th! Good job, too. I will not
                  be moving. It is 90 miles away from here approximately.

                  Oh yes, I didn't collect seeds from my hairy vetch last year....rain
                  beat me to it anyway. It reseeded itself, but to the house side of
                  where it had been planted on the berm....so it is doing its own thing
                  right now....and I am letting it.

                  Gloria, Texas
                • Larry Haftl
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
                    > Okay, Larry......Here's a bit of an update on what I am trying to do
                    > here in Venus, TX.

                    Hi Gloria,

                    Sounds like your growing season is doing just that... Did you ever use those
                    seeds I sent you?

                    A though about your Queen Ann's Lace... seems to me you are doing the right
                    thing... watching what's going on in your garden and trying to
                    understand/learn from what you are seeing. Trying to do what the garden
                    seems to be telling you to do. Will you make "mistakes"? Sure. But then so
                    does everyone else including Mother Nature. Evolution is, after all, a
                    matter of trial and "error". I suspect that if the Lace was overwhelming the
                    garden we wouldn't be having this discussion. The Lace would be turning into
                    mulch as we write. But since it has not become oppressive then perhaps
                    leaving it gives you an interesting condition to observe. Or cut some and
                    leave some and see what happens. If MN can mess about with the ecosystem why
                    can't we?

                    Glad to hear David's got a good job again. Hope he isn't too bothered by
                    long communtes.

                    Even though I don't have an acre of prime land to play with I think I'll
                    have some fun with the local floras and faunas. Got three city lots, all
                    next to each other, to play with. Unfortunately, all three lots have a tall
                    building on it, so sunlight is hit and miss. Oh well, just that many more
                    microclimates to tinker with. Also unfortunately most of my time is
                    committed to getting ready for the upcoming boat trip, which makes long-term
                    garden planning/doing somewhat delicate. I get four months of prime growing
                    time and then off we go around the Great Loop for a year.

                    Larry Haftl
                    larry@...
                    http://LarryHaftl.com
                    http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net