Re: hazelnut suckers - water shoots

  • Zack Domike
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2004
      Re: hazelnut suckers From: Stephen Inniss

      Hello,
      Here in Chile, the local hazelnut is unique, but
      according to
      http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/research/profiles/smason/smcoryl1.htm

      seems similar to European hazelnuts, and forms a stool
      when coppiced (trimmed to the ground and left to
      regenerate with suckers, AKA water shoots, which is
      more palatable to post-rap speakers.)

      The shoots flower after about four years, and grow to
      one inch usable stakes in about six years. But your
      zone and soil will be different.

      I am actively pruning them now, in our autumn, to thin
      out the shoots, harvest some stakes, and make it
      easier to get to the ripe nuts. Good boiled or
      roasted.
      Zack

      http://search.yahoo.com