Re: [fukuoka_farming] hazelnut suckers

  • Stephen Inniss
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2004
      With hazelnuts, I leave the suckers, so that in the end there is a large
      clump of branches from the root stock, forming a thick bush. The younger
      recruits are good replacements if the older branches age. Sometimes I
      take out an old shoot if it is damaged or diseased.That may not be
      necessary, but it's more attractive to look at. I have seen bushes on
      which people have tried to prevent the newer and more vigorous suckers.
      They do not look healthy. On the other hand I have seen gigantic
      hazelnut bushes that have been untended for decades, and have hundreds
      of shoots. They are still strong, and produce plenty of hazelnuts.

      I can't say I've found one rule for all suckering plants, though. With
      raspberries, for instance, one has to think of access. If you let all
      the suckers come up then you won't be able to reach the berries in the
      centre of the clump.

      Steve