Re: "Three Sisters" cropping system

  • pollywog
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2004
      ---For fuller discussion from the Native ways of farming- many tribes
      utilized the 3 sisters- a great online book is "Buffalo Bird Woman's
      Garden", available here:
      ttp://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/buffalo/garden/garden.html

      There are a number of great stories about the 3 sisters, almost every
      nation, especially those in the eastern half of the Turtle Island, had
      both the method of 3 sisters and the story. deb

      In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "John Warner" <daddyoat@n...> wrote:
      > Hello Fukokans,
      >
      > Here's an interesting piece on Iroquois cropping systems.
      >
      > John
      >
      > http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Feb04/AAAS.MtPleasant.kb.html

    • Clyde
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
        <daddyoat@n...> wrote:
        > Hello Fukokans,
        >
        > Here's an interesting piece on Iroquois cropping systems.
        >
        > John

        I am interested in trying this...I guess you plant the squash
        between the corn stalks, do the corn stalks need to be farther
        apart? Google just gives me history, not actual how to.

        Clyde
      • les landeck
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
          morning

          see if you can find a copy of Buffalo Bird Woman"s
          Garden, AS told to Gilbert L. Wilson
          Minnesota Historical Society Press, St Paul

          Les

          --- Clyde <Marinedsrtvet@...> wrote:
          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "John
          > Warner"
          > <daddyoat@n...> wrote:
          > > Hello Fukokans,
          > >
          > > Here's an interesting piece on Iroquois cropping
          > systems.
          > >
          > > John
          > >

          > I am interested in trying this...I guess you plant
          > the squash
          > between the corn stalks, do the corn stalks need to
          > be farther
          > apart? Google just gives me history, not actual how
          > to.
          >
          > Clyde

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
        • pollywog
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
            ---Had posted this in msg. 4050. Here it is again:

            ---For fuller discussion from the Native ways of farming- many tribes
            utilized the 3 sisters- a great online book is "Buffalo Bird Woman's
            Garden", available here:
            http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/buffalo/garden/garden.html

            When planting close together, allow the corn to get a few inches high
            before planting 3 or 4 bean hills around each stalk. deb

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
              Hi Pollywog,

              i've been wanting to get back to you about that site i
              could not get it to open on your previous post. in the
              mean time my friend Nan took her house apart to find
              and provide me with a copy of the book. i've only got
              as far as the introduction, jumped forward on the web
              site to chapter on sunflowers with great pleasure. i
              may begin planting three small pastures at Nans next
              week. i always start with a planting of sunflowers and
              amaranth around the planting areas. this time i will
              be adding Clary sage inside the circles as a deer
              deterrent sunflowers as a site barrier out side the
              low fencing than the amaranth for the outer circle to
              feed the deer. in the planting areas will be some
              African Marigolds that have been quite helpful in
              discouraging the gofers in the past.

              Thanks again for bringing this book to my attention.

              It's Spring let the fun begin, Les

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004
                ---Think I might have figured out the trouble... after trying from the
                message, couldn't get it either. But, could from my bookmarks.

                A-Hah!! The "h" in "http://" was somehow not included in the first
                post's paste.

                The two week mark for planting interlude sounds about right. To me, it
                would be when the corn is up about a hand's length. I do things by
                the seat of my pants (or the length of body parts) rather than time,
                usually. Believe the two measurements to be about equivalent in
                practice, though.

                Did you say "Toe-Mah'-to"? Did I say "Toe-May'-to"? Let's call the
                whole thing off! Did some smartaleck out there just chime in
                "Tu-mee-too'"? Off with their head!! {giggle, snicker.. {;)

                I can appreciate Nan's hard work, please extend my gratitude to her. A
                friend like that is a definite keeper and wonderful resource! Fix
                her a great dinner for that! <G>

                You are so right, it is spring. I don't give a flying patootie what
                the groundhog thinks. the deb's getting the fever... the deb *Needs*
                the fever.

                The fun is ours for the enjoying! <G>

                deb-er-pollywog.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 26, 2004