Re: [fukuoka_farming] Environmental sustainability possible within a generation???

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2004
      > Hi Jason,
      >
      > In my opinion this is simply more false hope that distracts people from
      > the reality (and urgency) of the situation. To be sustainable
      > indefinitely a culture must not take more from its environment than it
      > returns. Stone age technology is sustainable, anything beyond that is
      > not sustainable. Sure, there are ways and means to be more sustainable
      > than we are now but that is not the same as being sustainable.
      >
      > Please have a read of a small article by Derrick Jensen that sums it up
      > quite nicely, http://www.derrickjensen.org/ga.html

      i am also thinking that way , and am ready myself to do the move toward this
      level of sustainiblity.... but not alone .

      yet david suzuki goals that are more geared toward reducing drastically
      pollutions than sustainibility is really achievable in principal but one
      main obstacle is the artificiality of money economy orchestrated by banks
      and other wall street type of wealth maker that in no way represent the real
      exchange of energies ...

      little farmers knows that ,they don't have a chance to be recognised for
      their performances into making more out of less.

      considering that the sun is constantly bombarding the earth , it is
      completelly possible to produce more energy than is used up ( creation is
      there to prove it )in opposition with other forms of farming that require
      more or less a deficit between what is produced and and what is spent.(
      mechanical ,chemical , monocultured and centralised agriculture being the
      worst .)

      David suzuki is a yuppi confortable kind of guy who are not willing to go to
      stone age technology even if it is what it takes to be really sustainable
      ( too bad he miss the opportunity to knows the comfort that comes from being
      willing to risk uncomfort ....

      jean-claude
    • animaphile
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2004
        Dear Adam,
        Thanks your energy to write your words.

        Wouldn't you also think that Dr. Suzuki (-sensei) would also like to
        say that sort of thing in Jensen-sensei writing to the Prime
        Minister of Canada, and that the happiness of all simultaneous with
        the impermanence of all would be his goal also, but to move away
        from not being whole like that (- at once happy & aware of the
        impermanence of the happiness), Suzuki-sensei when talking to the
        Prime Minister of Canada, and even more so the media & public would
        have to start graciously and in a, little, way, to remain being
        heard, with the view that 'from little things big things grow'. I
        mean not to be confused with being patient or compromising one's
        message because these just abandon or dumb down/deviate respectively
        the goal. I sharing the message to start with in a small way that
        keeps the listeners listening.

        Suzuki's plans i agree with
        (
        http://www.davidsuzuki.org/WOL/News_Releases/web_of_life02050401.asp
        )

        and your linked Derrick Jensen writing i agree with
        ( http://www.derrickjensen.org/ga.html ),

        can you see how this is possible?!

        Mu

        see (
        http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~ssb/access?Au=http%3A\
        %2F%2Fguest@...%2Fcgi-bin%2Fxpr-ddb.pl%3F71.xml%2Bid%28\
        %27b7121%27%29 )
        .

        See below your quoted for more, i'm writing words and writing in a
        form, layout, arrangement to attempt to benefit everyones awareness
        (es) aswell so that it's not just empty words.

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Carter <accarter@i...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Jason,
        >
        > In my opinion this is simply more false hope that distracts people
        from the reality (and urgency) of the situation. To be sustainable
        indefinitely a culture must not take more from its environment than
        it returns. Stone age technology is sustainable, anything beyond
        that is not sustainable. Sure, there are ways and means to be more
        sustainable than we are now but that is not the same as being
        sustainable.

        > Please have a read of a small article by Derrick Jensen that sums
        it up quite nicely, http://www.derrickjensen.org/ga.html

        > Cheers,
        >
        > Adam.

        Suzuki-sensei i think is solving problems but his implementation of
        the solutions at present is incomplete, whether or not he fully
        understands the problems - i don't make judgements on this, because
        it would be dis-ingenuous of me to pass judgement on Suzuki-sensei
        or anyone really.
        Jensen-sensei, i think, has well articulated and well understood the
        particular problem he addresses in his writing above, but is not
        solving the problem in implemented practice or himself really
        manifestly getting beyond the mindset that created the problems. i
        don't like his labelling of stone-age, and the images or constructs
        that go with it - writing-acting in favour of a present-day
        European image of the past in what is presently labelled 'stone-
        age', just like i don't like it when people re-act against the label
        of stone-age, and just like i don't like the often cynical writing
        re-acting against and negating about the label of the golden age.
        The only 'age' that is any 'age' is right now. Right now is the only
        now in which we can act. Thanks also to Jamie for previously re-
        iterating here on this subject in his reponse to the "The Ultimatum
        of God Nature...". The only chance for a golden age is right now,
        the every now, the everywhen now (as compared to the word
        everything). So, if not already, if and when we, each of us has a
        truelly happy moment, that moment, that now, is a golden age. To
        make the golden age moment more often and everywhen is a goal, i am
        aware.

        Only European people call people in different in concept/societies,
        time/history or space/places:
        'stone age' people,
        'hunter-gatherer' people,
        cultured/savage people,
        civilised/brutish people,
        primitive/modern people, etc.
        Even also using the label racists which i have used, is subject to
        this inherent hypocrisy for us all.
        I don't believe in any of these labels as they are discrimination,
        passings of judgement, they all end up being prejudice. I minimise
        using them, i don't pretend to be able to stop using them or act to
        restrict their use by different people from me, though. It can only
        be the intended meaning of the sentence behind the label in the
        particular context of their use that i read and listen to.
        Fukuoka-sensei and many Indigenous sensei of this continent here are
        both pointing at the same destination, both very clear about it, and
        both becoming and/or maintaining that which could be called the
        everpresent everpossible golden age of every moment, but it's ever
        transient and is maintained by ever becoming to that destination of
        the golden age. (very difficult to put to words for me at this
        moment - i hope you's all get what's meant)

        The word farming in english is an additional word with an original
        meaning that is very problematical also as it is about
        peasants/slaves working out in the field on self-appointed or
        brutally-acquired `aristocrats` `owned` land. A better dramatisation
        than Jensen's above clear articulation of this problem is in the
        film "BraveHeart".
        However, we explicitly are on a Fukuoka-Farming group, and the word
        farming in Japanese English has none of these problems originally or
        now, it is not from the english meaning but is from the meaning of
        the Japanese word "Nou" which means nothing more repressive than out
        in the field, so far as all the times i've looked it up in Japanese
        Kanji dictionaries etc. I would be happy with a group called Shizen
        Nouhou, but this title alone would be self-defeating because many
        english readers of fukuoka-sensei books would not find it or would
        look for farming, natural farming, fukouka, etc. Combinations of
        words for reforming the title of the group or a new group have
        crossed my mind several times, but it's more academic than most
        problems of the world when we can all understand with a bit of
        communication that the farming we are talking about is that defined
        by Fukuoka not that defined by the english language history of the
        word Farming.

        How can anyone writing on a computer in a building with electricity
        or wherever write meaningfully of returning to 'stone-age'- i should
        say, even, write of their image of the stone age as more sustainable
        etc., i agree with Jensen's identification of the empirical problems
        but not the interpretation of the empirical problems into a
        civilised vs. stone-age dichotomy, neither do i agree with the lack
        of here and now solutions. It is romantic or re-acting against
        romantic, both are the same in that they are dictated by
        romanticism, to image-ine a different situation as more sustainable,
        it is the ever present possibility of being/becoming personally
        sustainable right this moment that is real, not romantic, and which
        is The Golden Age we all have the oppotunity to inhabit. These are
        so simple choices every moment at a personal level. eg. i can choose
        to stop writing on this computer now, it is not difficult at all to
        choose sustainable interventions now. Also i can choose to continue
        writing to hope to effect a benefit to many people reading this,
        open more sustainability than just in my person and if that happens
        thereby effect more sustainability than i could ever by stopping
        writing. These choices are always a very fine line, that line
        actually doesn't exist except in words and thoughts, so i'm aware
        that i must exercise enormous ego-control - self-discipline or
        whatever one calls it in these choices.

        It is the integration of what Suzuki-sensei and Jensen-sensei say,
        in which lays some movement closer to a golden age of right this
        moment. It could be hoped that they could perhaps directly talk with
        each other. This would be fruitfull, even more so.

        A further, wise, very to the point, perceptive person Jean-claude or
        should i say wise family, on this group put it so well in a previous
        message 3190 (including that it was written in a beautifully
        sensuous to me french style of english and including that it was not
        so much english english conforming to pedantic word perfect rules,
        spelling & definitons, as rather very meaningful usage plain english
        words with the spontaneity of some harmless spelling misses). Thank
        you so much Jean-Claude, whatever you do keep up the free english,
        especially for your posts.
        3190 by Jean-claude in part:
        "Nature is in charge , trying to fix with the mind that created the
        problem in the first place is the last trap we want to avoid . it is
        not because we have packed the soil that we have to till , nature
        will do it on its own .
        we wanted to produce more easy foods, we got the results, lets focus
        on better nutrition and being less obssessed with yields and
        everything we fall in its place . what is the point of growing all
        those fancy monsters from the cabbage familly when kale as a more
        primitive form is fullfulling all the jobs with better nutrition (
        you can eat the stems, the flowers, the buds, the leaves etc....
        they don't need to be obese to be abondant."

        Also to Jamie around this 3190 time in this group. To address from
        those posts one of Jamie's well communicated, in 3196, reservations
        about my explanation of the problems, where he said: "In my
        situating of NF as amelioration and not goal I hoped to express just
        this transience, this inability of totalising explanations: it is
        what concerns me about Jason's ruthless exposure of western
        domination and jean-claude's dietry regimen" that he was concerned
        that mine & Jean-claude's explanations are not totalising
        explanation. First, I agree, mine and they are nor totalising.
        Second, however, i made it very clear in my first posts to this
        group that all human's explanations, and awarenesses generally, are
        partial. i said and say this with joy not sadness, for one it is
        true, for two it is obvious, and for three it is, i'm aware, the
        reason we have for wanting to live, ie. that we all always have room
        for improving ourselves, both internally and in our effect
        externally on the everyone, and in our overcoming the difference
        between the internal and the external, by integrating it into shared
        consciousnesses. To everyone else this is a very rewarding part of
        the archive from my experience participating also here at that time:
        and it's thread.

        Have any of you read Fukuoka-sensei referring to himself as a
        pantheist or even a panentheist or as an anarchist?

        I don't recall reading anywhere Fukuoka-sensei calling himself any
        of these things, even the chapter section in "The Ultimatum of God
        Nature..." about Agnosticism is an invention of the translator,
        because i went hunting for the Japanese word for Agnostic in my
        Japanese edition chapter and it is a vaguely similar sentence
        subject that Fukuoka-sensei talks about there, in the exactly the
        same paragraphs and subjects but there is no word agnostic in the
        Japanese. Of course correct me if i'm wrong on this point of record
        please. In the Japanese edition, the really philosophical section
        near the end, Fukuoka-sensei writes about the philosophy of Mu and
        shizen nouhou (spontaneous/nature farming - he Law/rules/methods as
        in translation the same english usage by Oz indigenous peoples of
        the Law for words such as Tjukurpa, Alcheringa -more like saying the
        law of the land, the rules of living, and the way of life) "(Mu) no
        tetsu gaku to shizen nou hou".

        shizen
        see (
        http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~ssb/access?Au=http%3A\
        %2F%2Fguest@...%2Fcgi-bin%2Fxpr-ddb.pl%3F81.xml%2Bid%28\
        %27b81ea-7136%27%29
        )

        Fukuoka-sensei then starts writing with the kanji word Mu.i

        see by pasting and searching for –³ˆ×

        also see (using the buddhist and earlier kanji read as 'i')(
        http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~ssb/access?Au=http%3A\
        %2F%2Fguest@...%2Fcgi-bin%2Fxpr-ddb.pl%3F71.xml%2Bid%28\
        %27b7121-7232%27%29
        )

        Cheers Adam, Thanks,

        Beauty mates,
        Jason
      • animaphile
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
          Whoops, sooorry! making some corrections - i don't have any computer
          myself working at home or electricity in the house at present
          (because of old batteries on my solar electricity), so i don't have
          much free time on computer at my neighbours and rush sometimes, that
          should be

          `eg. see
          ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fukuoka_farming/message/3190 )
          and its associated threads`

          `In the Japanese edition, the really philosophical section
          near the end, Fukuoka-sensei writes about the philosophy of Mu and
          shizen nouhou (meaning spontaneous/nature farming - the
          Law/rules/methods, as,
          in translation, the same english usage by Oz indigenous peoples of
          "the Law" for words such as Tjukurpa, Alcheringa -more like saying
          the law of the land, the rules of living, and the way of life)
          "(Mu) no tetsu gaku to shizen nou hou".`

          and also i neglected to say Adam that not only do i agree with
          Jensen-sensei words, but with yours also, even though by this i mean
          the intention i percieve of both of your words rather than
          necessarily the particularities of the wording.

          Thanks again, great discussion Adam & Jean-claude

          Konban wa (Good evening in Japanese),

          Jason
        • Adam Carter
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
            Hi Jason,

            I appreciate your detailed response.

            Just a couple of things I'd like to elaborate on. If one perceives that
            the foundations of civilisation are rotten, then no amount of 'reform'
            is going to make a difference in the long run. There are increasing
            numbers of people who hold such perspectives. These people have not
            given up hope, it is just that their hopes are not confined to a
            civilised outlook.

            Instead of being directed at reform, their energies are directed in
            many different directions. Towards creating alternative means of
            subsistence and learning primitive skills. Towards defending remaining
            wild places. Towards undermining civilisation itself. Towards
            supporting surviving indigenous life ways.

            I can strongly recommend the books by Derrick Jensen (especially 'A
            Language Older than Words' and 'Culture of Make
            Believe'), Chellis Glendinning ('My name is Chellis and I'm in recovery
            from Western Civilisation' and 'Off the Map') and Daniel Quinn
            ('Ishmael') to name a few of the growing number of critiques of
            civilisation itself. While I'm on the subject of books, look out for
            'The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies' by
            Richard Heinberg not only does this give comprehensive analysis of the
            coming end of oil but it also debunks the myths of the 'sustainable'
            alternatives.

            You wondered at how someone using electricity can write meaningfully
            about returning to the 'stone age', but we do not have to wonder what
            it was like 10,000 years ago. Less than 250 years ago the entire
            continent that you and I live on was living quite happily and
            sustainably with stone tools.

            Cheers,

            Adam.

            PS. Jason, thanks for the recommendation of Tim Low's Wild Herbs book,
            I've ordered it today.
          • animaphile
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
              wrote:
              > Hi Jason,

              > I appreciate your detailed response.

              Thanks.
              You've come from Melbourne recently.
              I grew up in SE of Melbourne, did years of, all my life,
              participating in nature there, learn't all species of plants, both
              indig and introduced, 1500+, 600+ indig sp., most animals... great
              place for me, but i'm not a sympathiser of some people i know there
              who talk about overthrowing the city culture, i'm not a greeny-nazi,
              i couldn't and wouldn't want to destroy the people who live there or
              force them in any way, this would be so counter to compassion and to
              bringing up & out the good nature that is the underlying base of
              human nature. Even though the destruction of non-human nature there
              that i love all my life is/was so severe and pernicious. My
              experiences there were heartbreaking, many times many bushlands were
              needlessly and/or wantonly harmed in a sado-masochistic or merchant
              of death dealing way. Still good bush aswell and regeneration going
              too.

              > Just a couple of things I'd like to elaborate on. If one perceives
              that the foundations of civilisation are rotten, then no amount
              of 'reform' is going to make a difference in the long run. There are
              increasing numbers of people who hold such perspectives. These
              people have not given up hope, it is just that their hopes are not
              confined to a civilised outlook.

              I agree with the intention or sentiment but the wording
              of 'foundations of civilisation are rotten' is rotten if anything
              is, if throwing out this word then really you need to change
              languages and throw out the english language also. Do you speak a
              different language from English? Japanese and Indig' languages of
              this continent are liberating examples, would you learn a Palawa
              language perhaps?
              What have you learn't about Indigenous people's of this continent so
              far, as from your posts you imply that you are an originally non-
              indig' person, hope i'm not wrong in this reading of your posts.
              Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre/Corporation is very worthwhile.

              > Instead of being directed at reform, their energies are directed
              in many different directions.

              Yeah!

              > Towards creating alternative means of subsistence and learning
              primitive skills.

              There's nothing primitive about primitives - know wha' a mean?
              I don't believe in alternatives or mainstreams, primitive or modern
              they both define themselves by what they are opposed to or what they
              are supposed not to be. Bring on at once becoming Eternal and MU!

              >Towards defending remaining wild places.
              Yeah!
              Regenerating is better again and doesn't sow the seed of its own
              conflict as defensiveness does.
              >Towards undermining civilisation itself.

              No need to undermine civilisation, just build a real one rather than
              pretend, false one, eg. Indigenous civilisations, peoples, societies
              of this continent. Jamie & Gloria's one's for Europe. etc.

              > Towards supporting surviving indigenous life ways.

              Yeah!
              Sorry to be feeling like an editor of your wording, i don't really
              presume to be an editor, rather it is continuing my detailed
              response, because i am absolutely convinced that there is no benefit
              in taking sides for anyone, you, me, or George W. Bush, Saddam, the
              spooks in the intelligence agencies or even Satan.

              > I can strongly recommend the books by Derrick Jensen
              (especially 'A Language Older than Words' and 'Culture of Make
              Believe'), Chellis Glendinning ('My name is Chellis and I'm in
              recovery from Western Civilisation' and 'Off the Map') and Daniel
              Quinn ('Ishmael') to name a few of the growing number of critiques
              of civilisation itself. While I'm on the subject of books, look out
              for 'The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial
              Societies' by Richard Heinberg not only does this give comprehensive
              analysis of the coming end of oil but it also debunks the myths of
              the 'sustainable' alternatives.

              Thanks it's the thought of yours that counts, i actually just had a
              thorough read of all the write-ups of books on his website, and
              after my own personal upbringing experiences i can say that i'm
              beyond the life-phase of dealing with my parental families problems.
              I've received alot of heart from indig' people's and different
              people's including takusan Nihonjin (many japanese people) and
              shared alot too, that has taken me beyond civilisation vs.
              primitive, western vs. eastern, white vs. black, asian vs. european,
              christian vs. 'other' than christian, eastern or japanese or
              aboriginal christian vs. western christian, secular vs. non-secular,
              materialistic vs. spiritual, man vs. woman, history vs. herstory,
              linear thinking vs. lateral thinking vs. multidimensional thinking,
              left brain vs. right brain, deep vs. shallow ecology (i've read
              literally a 1000 or more ecology science papers, not incl. books
              versus hundreds of (so called) deep ecology literatures, not to
              mention dialogues with people, etc.), greeny vs. browny vs. redneck,
              the attachment to money vs. the attachment to not having money (both
              dictated by the action for or reaction against attachment to money,
              i do go the bible on this "The love of(attachment to) money is the
              root of all evil" not 'money is the root of all evil' - pls at least
              consider jean-claude), technocracy vs. luddism (technology was and
              is never the issue, people are the issue and their societies and
              choices made by people & societies about technology ie. attachment
              to for or against technology), paleao (lithic) vs. neo (lithic)
              (words mean literally old vs. new rocks - old stones vs. new
              stones), good vs. bad, attached-to-science vs. against-science vs.
              sucker-for-psuedo-science (all still dictated in mode of thinking by
              science, whether for or against or hoodwinked by), etc.
              There is an important section in Fukuoka's "Ultimatum of God
              Nature..." ("KAMI TO SHIZEN TO HITO NO KAKUMEI...") where he
              describes and discusses "Men who kill God", it is especially
              important for us men who have come from societies that have been
              dominated by nature destructive ideologies. The use of the word
              civilisation can be a very good meaning, furthermore it can be
              reclaimed by secure type people away from any destructive meanings
              to mean humane, civil, a citizen of God Nature, etc. There no reason
              to be a word-fashion-victim for Jensen or anyone, we make the
              language, not at the mercy of it, as we make the future every
              present moment! Does any of the writing above directly address
              Hawkins & Lovins "Natural Capitalism" i like to extract the
              happening empirical info out of that publ., it is spontaneous, up to
              date-ish more than most and edifying. I don't like it when anyone
              diminishes faith in human nature or any nature, there's nothing
              wrong with nature, there is some things wrong with some stuff in
              some poeple's heads not the least of which is us brought up in
              materialist, secular-christian, stratified, babylon-system...
              societies. But it is all only `in people's heads`. To paraphrase Tim
              Peters, if your yardstick or guidebook of life be wrong or you ask
              the wrong question then you have f..k all hope of getting the right
              answer or any answer. Bring on MU!

              > You wondered at how someone using electricity can write
              meaningfully about returning to the 'stone age', but we do not have
              to wonder what it was like 10,000 years ago.

              I'd like you to explore that inconsitency some more that i
              mentioned, about myself and us, and whoever.

              >Less than 250 years ago the entire continent that you and I live on
              was living quite happily and sustainably with stone tools.

              Yes!
              But it wasn't BECAUSE of stone tools that they were/are happy or
              sustainable 250 years ago or today, that is the very materialistic
              (european if we like that word for a convention of assumed meaning)
              obsession with materials and technological determinisms, and also
              archaeologies largely dependence upon material artefacts, and
              whitefellah's societies, up till recently at least, reliance on
              archaeology as their abriter of truth about indigenous peoples of
              this continent. When really archaeology can only be misleading
              compared to simply directly asking to teach their civilisation
              & 'culture' & customs & spirituality. To emphasise indig' peoples of
              this continents' pre-eminence in religion/spirituality, society,
              kinship and social systems more than just & in addition to their
              tool technologies is more in keeping with what apparently makes my
              indig' friends today happy about themselves, and more about the
              strengths of their societies and cultures in being sustainable.

              Have you read David Horton's book "The Pure State of Nature" it is
              better than nothing, but like everything partial. He's an
              archaeologist, sheep farmer and was editor of the Encyclopedia of
              Aboriginal Australia. He debunks many of the lies & underestimations
              by whitefellahs about Indig' peoples of this continent, but then
              introduces a few underestimations of his own, ie. he debunks
              different whitefella's partialities and then projects his own
              partialities from the specialisation of archaeology and especially
              simplistic underestimations about indig' farming (Fukuoka-defined
              farming) which is understandable & expectable given his emotional
              investment in his own sheep farm. I've read the anthropology paper,
              and many more of them, (Haynes & Chase, "Plant sites and
              domiculture") that he criticises about Oz Indig' farming in Cape
              York, and it is so obvious that they planted seeds there for food
              plants that for Horton to refuse to accept this is an absurd, even
              racist in a partial about-farming-or-horticulture-way,
              underestimating of Indig' people's of this continent. Even my local
              community indig friends have told me 'on the quiet' that
              transporting & planting native seeds for food is natural thing for
              them, their ancestors and their particular customs of their S.E. Oz
              culture.

              Nonetheless, while being wary of it limitations, it is a very
              worthwhile, important reading for the world to read about Oz. It is
              a good book to give to all those neighbours who you said thought or
              called you mad in what you're doing on farm. This is exactly what
              i've done here with success in gaining mutual understanding with my
              neighbours and their & my mutual joy. No madness accussations. It is
              even available as an Adobe ebook (ebooks.com) for US$7.95, normally
              AUD$30+ on paper.

              I'd also suggest for reading as first suggestions from me: Larissa
              Behrendt "Aboriginal Dispute Resolution". An Indig' young woman from
              SE Oz, a highly qualified lawyer, spokesperson on TV, etc. I've
              learn't profound lessons on how to live my own whitefellah life
              better from Larissa Behrendt, as she reccommends in that book. Did
              you read some of my earlier quotes and links about indig peoples,
              such as Eve Fesl's book "Conned" that i quoted the intro from.
              And "Ancestor Spirits", and Koorie Plants Koorie People, this would
              be a No. 1 book for you to get, in my humble opinion

              There are many native nitrogen fixers that would be the equal of
              clover in Oz, not that clover is bad in Oz, it is fairly harmless,
              not much weedy, but that can't be said for the changes it makes in
              the micro-organisms in Oz particularly, because we have our own
              unique sets of Oz micro-organisms with our plant species, to be
              clear it is not an either or choice though, just be careful and wary
              with clover - soil - micro-organisms in Oz, and as Fukuoka advises
              don't do anything at all that's unneccessary. She-oaks (Casuarina &
              Allocasuarina) are nitrogen fixers also to legumes and wattles.
              Murnong root vegetable grows in Tassie. It may be a threatened
              species like the Camas root vegetable in Canada that Stephen Inniss
              mentioned many moons ago as threatened and depleted around his
              town, - the solution rather than just the problem identification
              with this is to get in good terms with the Botanists, Jamie
              Kirkpatrick is a great one is Tassie, and help to grow this murnong
              on your place as an re-dispersal and regeneration of its former
              range if it is at all possible to grow on your place. Very good
              taste root raw or cooked. Could be a double good one for you Adam.
              Desmodium are one of many native legume genera around in Oz.

              > Cheers,

              > Adam.
              >
              > PS. Jason, thanks for the recommendation of Tim Low's Wild Herbs
              book, I've ordered it today.

              Great!

              See Ya, Jyaa-ne
              Jason
            • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                > the attachment to money vs. the attachment to not having money (both
                > dictated by the action for or reaction against attachment to money,
                > i do go the bible on this "The love of(attachment to) money is the
                > root of all evil" not 'money is the root of all evil' - pls at least
                > consider jean-claude),

                I am not talking about the attachement or non attachment to money as a
                source of a problem but money itself as an inapropriate means to satisfy
                needs .
                it is like trying to hit a nail with a rake or some other inapropriate
                tool.( like a plow to aerate the soil )
                IT is not question of being attached or not to any quantity of it but it is
                about removing peoples from the direct experience that occur in the
                circulation of energy.
                That is what is wrong with this concept of trying to symbolise, quantify
                circulation of energy ..
                it is like replacing by words the direct experience of observing something .

                Also and on top of that Nowhere in nature there is this idea <i give you
                that if you give me this > or any idea of storing beyond needs in case ...

                at last there is , even more so , the artificial regulation of the
                circulation of energy symbolised by money organised by the banking and
                financial system .That is nothing less that a very brutal way of depriving
                peoples from the possibility of satisfying their needs in a direct , real
                way ...
                jean-claude
              • Adam Carter
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                  Hi Jason,

                  Thanks for the time you have taken on this subject. However we seem to
                  have gone far off topic from this mailing list so I think it is
                  probably best we leave this thread for now. Otherwise we could be
                  spending the rest of our lives going backward and forwards on this one
                  :-)

                  For the record, my wife is aboriginal. Although I'll also add that my
                  perspectives we're formed independently of that fact.

                  Like you, I have been on a long journey to arrive at where I am now.
                  While we have arrived at different destinations, there is still much we
                  have in common.

                  Towards a better world,

                  Adam.
                • animaphile
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                    Thanks so much fellahs for the energy of your writings,
                    I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments,
                    Jean-claude, i agree with your oh so clear articulation of the
                    corrupting limitation of money as a system of exchange (have i got
                    this description right jean-claude?), my sentiment overlaps in
                    meaning with that but is not identical with it. I don't care about
                    money as something to be for or as something to fight against, i
                    think fighting this would waste my energy, not that you, jean-claude
                    are necessarily fighting against it when you're writing accurately
                    descriptive and explanatory words. Paper/Plastic money, is just
                    paper to me, it just represents something that it could be but is as
                    useful on its own as a bit of bark of a tree. Metal money, is just a
                    lump of metal to me,it just represents something that it could be
                    but is as useful on its own as a sinker for fishing line. It's the
                    concept of money in some (so many) people's heads that Jean-claude
                    describes so well that i reject.
                    Adam,
                    Thanks, my reading of Fukuoka-sensei books and so on, emphasises to
                    me that we are not of topic at all here, according to the way
                    Fukuoka himself and Stephen Canner define Fukuoka_Farming. It is
                    quite fruitful what you & Jean-claude are talking about, - reading
                    of 4 English translation books and one Japanese book. See the
                    following messages in the archive for listings of books everyone
                    (from my offline archive) "Michiyo & Kyle's booklist FF msg no's:
                    1019 1286 2325 2338 & even more important related 2374 2384 2385
                    2386 2389 2876" & ( http://www.infomadonna.ne.jp/~ham/book.htm ). So
                    don't worry about being off topic with this thread, please continue
                    with this thread if you want to, tiredness and not being outside in
                    the field is a different topic and from that we are maybe off the
                    topic of not being out in our fields. Your a lucky man with your
                    wife and place in Tassie. I'll contact you by email with
                    `Aboriginal` intellectual nature information property links which i
                    have a little incumbancy to privately return to respective people,
                    and to share more personal dialogue that i don't make public with
                    unknown strangers.

                    Great communications,
                    Arigato gozaimasu,
                    Jason

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude

                    [animaphile - jason - wrote]

                    wrote:
                    > Hi Jason,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the time you have taken on this subject. However we
                    seem to have gone far off topic from this mailing list so I think it
                    is probably best we leave this thread for now. Otherwise we could be
                    spending the rest of our lives going backward and forwards on this
                    one :-)

                    > For the record, my wife is aboriginal. Although I'll also add that
                    my perspectives we're formed independently of that fact.

                    > Like you, I have been on a long journey to arrive at where I am
                    now.
                    > While we have arrived at different destinations, there is still
                    much we have in common.

                    > Towards a better world,
                    >
                    > Adam.
                  • animaphile
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                      Catry" <instinct@s...> wrote:

                      > [quoted Adam Carter wrote:]
                      > > Hi Jason,
                      > >
                      > > In my opinion this is simply more false hope that distracts
                      people from the reality (and urgency) of the situation. To be
                      sustainable indefinitely a culture must not take more from its
                      environment than it returns. Stone age technology is sustainable,
                      anything beyond that is not sustainable. Sure, there are ways and
                      means to be more sustainable than we are now but that is not the
                      same as being sustainable.

                      > > Please have a read of a small article by Derrick Jensen that
                      sums it up quite nicely, http://www.derrickjensen.org/ga.html

                      > i am also thinking that way , and am ready myself to do the move
                      toward this level of sustainiblity.... but not alone .

                      Yes! Yes!, for me not alone -even not just one family alone, is such
                      a neccessary point. Only as a society can it - practice, in my
                      perception actually become sustainable (sustainable meaning that it
                      continues to occur aswell as meaning that it continues not to do any
                      unsustainable practices), it is necessary to make personal decisions
                      to be sustainable all the time through one's life, but to continue
                      personally one needs a conducive society aswell in the long/medium
                      term of many decades. So many people have done it individually or
                      personally in adverse societies but have become burn't out, i feel
                      real compassion and concern for them doing it alone, so i think and
                      i myself partly successfully practice influencing my communities in
                      East Gippsland, Melbourne & Sydney to be more informed and
                      sympathetic and practice themselves sustainability of the kind that
                      Fukuoka points so clearly to. Not preaching is what i really try
                      hard to do, even though communicating in a firm tone with my
                      communities, i realise that often many of these people got their
                      ideas that maintain their unsustainabilty from what they've read and
                      heard in the media, so i often provide debunking media, books and
                      radio and TV and newspapers to them, i have succeeded in some
                      spinning-back the spin-out ideas of how to use human-ignited fire
                      here and some reduction of peoples cultural cringe towards
                      indigenous people's foods (called bush tucker or bushfood). It's not
                      easy but is incidently socially very rewarding. Some seriously
                      unsustainable people are very friendly toward me.

                      > yet david suzuki goals that are more geared toward reducing
                      drastically pollutions than sustainibility is really achievable in
                      principal but one main obstacle is the artificiality of money
                      economy orchestrated by banks and other wall street type of wealth
                      maker that in no way represent the real exchange of energies ...

                      i agree so true.

                      > little farmers knows that ,they don't have a chance to be
                      recognised for their performances into making more out of less.

                      i agree so very true.

                      > considering that the sun is constantly bombarding the earth , it is
                      > completelly possible to produce more energy than is used up (
                      creation is there to prove it )in opposition with other forms of
                      farming that require more or less a deficit between what is produced
                      and and what is spent.( mechanical ,chemical , monocultured and
                      centralised agriculture being the worst .)

                      i agree, good ?new insight for records on group.

                      > David suzuki is a yuppi confortable kind of guy who are not
                      willing to go to stone age technology even if it is what it takes
                      to be really sustainable ( too bad he miss the opportunity to knows
                      the comfort that comes from being willing to risk uncomfort ....

                      so great a point, thank you

                      > jean-claude

                      Arigato,
                      Jason
                    • Gerald Whitehawk
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 10, 2004
                        Why you all fight, when all want same thing -- be bigger than the other.
                        That not-natural. Money, only expression non-natural want to have more than
                        need. When non-natural wishes fall, money non-useful. Earth beautiful
                        again. Too much in your heads, not-natural.

                        Use wise words of other people� but use them wisely? You have to go look
                        for your hearts in yourself, first. Natural?: eat, drink, piss, sleep� just
                        enough for natural necessities. Can you be happy with that? If not need
                        money, destroy Earth! The point of natural life, the perfection of spirit -
                        loosing ego.

                      • macropneuma
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 10, 2004
                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Whitehawk"
                          <gwhitehawk@h...> wrote:

                          > Why you all fight, when all want same thing -- be bigger than the
                          other.
                          > That not-natural. Money, only expression non-natural want to have
                          more than
                          > need. When non-natural wishes fall, money non-useful. Earth
                          beautiful
                          > again. Too much in your heads, not-natural.
                          >
                          > Use wise words of other people… but use them wisely? You have to
                          go look
                          > for your hearts in yourself, first. Natural?: eat, drink, piss,
                          sleep… just
                          > enough for natural necessities. Can you be happy with that? If
                          not need
                          > money, destroy Earth! The point of natural life, the perfection
                          of spirit -
                          > loosing ego.

                          Thankyou
                          Beauty mate (Australian English similar to thank you)
                          Arigato gozaimasu (Japanese thank you)
                          I Agree including for myself.

                          Jason