Environmental sustainability possible within a generation -in Canada- Sukuki-san

  • animaphile
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2004
      Environmental sustainability possible within a generation,
      Dr. Suzuki tells Prime Minister and municipal leaders.

      see
      (
      http://www.davidsuzuki.org/WOL/News_Releases/web_of_life02050401.asp
      )

      Some more good news for perhaps a change.

      Kindness & blessings to all,
      Jyaa-ne (See Ya in Japanese),
      Jason
    • Adam Carter
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2004
        Hi Jason,

        In my opinion this is simply more false hope that distracts people from
        the reality (and urgency) of the situation. To be sustainable
        indefinitely a culture must not take more from its environment than it
        returns. Stone age technology is sustainable, anything beyond that is
        not sustainable. Sure, there are ways and means to be more sustainable
        than we are now but that is not the same as being sustainable.

        Please have a read of a small article by Derrick Jensen that sums it up
        quite nicely, http://www.derrickjensen.org/ga.html

        Cheers,

        Adam.

        On 07/02/2004, at 10:46 AM, animaphile wrote:

        > Environmental sustainability possible within a generation,
        > Dr. Suzuki tells Prime Minister and municipal leaders.
        >
        > see
        > (
        > http://www.davidsuzuki.org/WOL/News_Releases/web_of_life02050401.asp
        > )
        >
        > Some more good news for perhaps a change.
        >
        > Kindness & blessings to all,
        > Jyaa-ne (See Ya in Japanese),
        > Jason
      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2004
          > Hi Jason,
          >
          > In my opinion this is simply more false hope that distracts people from
          > the reality (and urgency) of the situation. To be sustainable
          > indefinitely a culture must not take more from its environment than it
          > returns. Stone age technology is sustainable, anything beyond that is
          > not sustainable. Sure, there are ways and means to be more sustainable
          > than we are now but that is not the same as being sustainable.
          >
          > Please have a read of a small article by Derrick Jensen that sums it up
          > quite nicely, http://www.derrickjensen.org/ga.html

          i am also thinking that way , and am ready myself to do the move toward this
          level of sustainiblity.... but not alone .

          yet david suzuki goals that are more geared toward reducing drastically
          pollutions than sustainibility is really achievable in principal but one
          main obstacle is the artificiality of money economy orchestrated by banks
          and other wall street type of wealth maker that in no way represent the real
          exchange of energies ...

          little farmers knows that ,they don't have a chance to be recognised for
          their performances into making more out of less.

          considering that the sun is constantly bombarding the earth , it is
          completelly possible to produce more energy than is used up ( creation is
          there to prove it )in opposition with other forms of farming that require
          more or less a deficit between what is produced and and what is spent.(
          mechanical ,chemical , monocultured and centralised agriculture being the
          worst .)

          David suzuki is a yuppi confortable kind of guy who are not willing to go to
          stone age technology even if it is what it takes to be really sustainable
          ( too bad he miss the opportunity to knows the comfort that comes from being
          willing to risk uncomfort ....

          jean-claude
        • animaphile
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2004
            Dear Adam,
            Thanks your energy to write your words.

            Wouldn't you also think that Dr. Suzuki (-sensei) would also like to
            say that sort of thing in Jensen-sensei writing to the Prime
            Minister of Canada, and that the happiness of all simultaneous with
            the impermanence of all would be his goal also, but to move away
            from not being whole like that (- at once happy & aware of the
            impermanence of the happiness), Suzuki-sensei when talking to the
            Prime Minister of Canada, and even more so the media & public would
            have to start graciously and in a, little, way, to remain being
            heard, with the view that 'from little things big things grow'. I
            mean not to be confused with being patient or compromising one's
            message because these just abandon or dumb down/deviate respectively
            the goal. I sharing the message to start with in a small way that
            keeps the listeners listening.

            Suzuki's plans i agree with
            (
            http://www.davidsuzuki.org/WOL/News_Releases/web_of_life02050401.asp
            )

            and your linked Derrick Jensen writing i agree with
            ( http://www.derrickjensen.org/ga.html ),

            can you see how this is possible?!

            Mu

            see (
            http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~ssb/access?Au=http%3A\
            %2F%2Fguest@...%2Fcgi-bin%2Fxpr-ddb.pl%3F71.xml%2Bid%28\
            %27b7121%27%29 )
            .

            See below your quoted for more, i'm writing words and writing in a
            form, layout, arrangement to attempt to benefit everyones awareness
            (es) aswell so that it's not just empty words.

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Carter <accarter@i...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Jason,
            >
            > In my opinion this is simply more false hope that distracts people
            from the reality (and urgency) of the situation. To be sustainable
            indefinitely a culture must not take more from its environment than
            it returns. Stone age technology is sustainable, anything beyond
            that is not sustainable. Sure, there are ways and means to be more
            sustainable than we are now but that is not the same as being
            sustainable.

            > Please have a read of a small article by Derrick Jensen that sums
            it up quite nicely, http://www.derrickjensen.org/ga.html

            > Cheers,
            >
            > Adam.

            Suzuki-sensei i think is solving problems but his implementation of
            the solutions at present is incomplete, whether or not he fully
            understands the problems - i don't make judgements on this, because
            it would be dis-ingenuous of me to pass judgement on Suzuki-sensei
            or anyone really.
            Jensen-sensei, i think, has well articulated and well understood the
            particular problem he addresses in his writing above, but is not
            solving the problem in implemented practice or himself really
            manifestly getting beyond the mindset that created the problems. i
            don't like his labelling of stone-age, and the images or constructs
            that go with it - writing-acting in favour of a present-day
            European image of the past in what is presently labelled 'stone-
            age', just like i don't like it when people re-act against the label
            of stone-age, and just like i don't like the often cynical writing
            re-acting against and negating about the label of the golden age.
            The only 'age' that is any 'age' is right now. Right now is the only
            now in which we can act. Thanks also to Jamie for previously re-
            iterating here on this subject in his reponse to the "The Ultimatum
            of God Nature...". The only chance for a golden age is right now,
            the every now, the everywhen now (as compared to the word
            everything). So, if not already, if and when we, each of us has a
            truelly happy moment, that moment, that now, is a golden age. To
            make the golden age moment more often and everywhen is a goal, i am
            aware.

            Only European people call people in different in concept/societies,
            time/history or space/places:
            'stone age' people,
            'hunter-gatherer' people,
            cultured/savage people,
            civilised/brutish people,
            primitive/modern people, etc.
            Even also using the label racists which i have used, is subject to
            this inherent hypocrisy for us all.
            I don't believe in any of these labels as they are discrimination,
            passings of judgement, they all end up being prejudice. I minimise
            using them, i don't pretend to be able to stop using them or act to
            restrict their use by different people from me, though. It can only
            be the intended meaning of the sentence behind the label in the
            particular context of their use that i read and listen to.
            Fukuoka-sensei and many Indigenous sensei of this continent here are
            both pointing at the same destination, both very clear about it, and
            both becoming and/or maintaining that which could be called the
            everpresent everpossible golden age of every moment, but it's ever
            transient and is maintained by ever becoming to that destination of
            the golden age. (very difficult to put to words for me at this
            moment - i hope you's all get what's meant)

            The word farming in english is an additional word with an original
            meaning that is very problematical also as it is about
            peasants/slaves working out in the field on self-appointed or
            brutally-acquired `aristocrats` `owned` land. A better dramatisation
            than Jensen's above clear articulation of this problem is in the
            film "BraveHeart".
            However, we explicitly are on a Fukuoka-Farming group, and the word
            farming in Japanese English has none of these problems originally or
            now, it is not from the english meaning but is from the meaning of
            the Japanese word "Nou" which means nothing more repressive than out
            in the field, so far as all the times i've looked it up in Japanese
            Kanji dictionaries etc. I would be happy with a group called Shizen
            Nouhou, but this title alone would be self-defeating because many
            english readers of fukuoka-sensei books would not find it or would
            look for farming, natural farming, fukouka, etc. Combinations of
            words for reforming the title of the group or a new group have
            crossed my mind several times, but it's more academic than most
            problems of the world when we can all understand with a bit of
            communication that the farming we are talking about is that defined
            by Fukuoka not that defined by the english language history of the
            word Farming.

            How can anyone writing on a computer in a building with electricity
            or wherever write meaningfully of returning to 'stone-age'- i should
            say, even, write of their image of the stone age as more sustainable
            etc., i agree with Jensen's identification of the empirical problems
            but not the interpretation of the empirical problems into a
            civilised vs. stone-age dichotomy, neither do i agree with the lack
            of here and now solutions. It is romantic or re-acting against
            romantic, both are the same in that they are dictated by
            romanticism, to image-ine a different situation as more sustainable,
            it is the ever present possibility of being/becoming personally
            sustainable right this moment that is real, not romantic, and which
            is The Golden Age we all have the oppotunity to inhabit. These are
            so simple choices every moment at a personal level. eg. i can choose
            to stop writing on this computer now, it is not difficult at all to
            choose sustainable interventions now. Also i can choose to continue
            writing to hope to effect a benefit to many people reading this,
            open more sustainability than just in my person and if that happens
            thereby effect more sustainability than i could ever by stopping
            writing. These choices are always a very fine line, that line
            actually doesn't exist except in words and thoughts, so i'm aware
            that i must exercise enormous ego-control - self-discipline or
            whatever one calls it in these choices.

            It is the integration of what Suzuki-sensei and Jensen-sensei say,
            in which lays some movement closer to a golden age of right this
            moment. It could be hoped that they could perhaps directly talk with
            each other. This would be fruitfull, even more so.

            A further, wise, very to the point, perceptive person Jean-claude or
            should i say wise family, on this group put it so well in a previous
            message 3190 (including that it was written in a beautifully
            sensuous to me french style of english and including that it was not
            so much english english conforming to pedantic word perfect rules,
            spelling & definitons, as rather very meaningful usage plain english
            words with the spontaneity of some harmless spelling misses). Thank
            you so much Jean-Claude, whatever you do keep up the free english,
            especially for your posts.
            3190 by Jean-claude in part:
            "Nature is in charge , trying to fix with the mind that created the
            problem in the first place is the last trap we want to avoid . it is
            not because we have packed the soil that we have to till , nature
            will do it on its own .
            we wanted to produce more easy foods, we got the results, lets focus
            on better nutrition and being less obssessed with yields and
            everything we fall in its place . what is the point of growing all
            those fancy monsters from the cabbage familly when kale as a more
            primitive form is fullfulling all the jobs with better nutrition (
            you can eat the stems, the flowers, the buds, the leaves etc....
            they don't need to be obese to be abondant."

            Also to Jamie around this 3190 time in this group. To address from
            those posts one of Jamie's well communicated, in 3196, reservations
            about my explanation of the problems, where he said: "In my
            situating of NF as amelioration and not goal I hoped to express just
            this transience, this inability of totalising explanations: it is
            what concerns me about Jason's ruthless exposure of western
            domination and jean-claude's dietry regimen" that he was concerned
            that mine & Jean-claude's explanations are not totalising
            explanation. First, I agree, mine and they are nor totalising.
            Second, however, i made it very clear in my first posts to this
            group that all human's explanations, and awarenesses generally, are
            partial. i said and say this with joy not sadness, for one it is
            true, for two it is obvious, and for three it is, i'm aware, the
            reason we have for wanting to live, ie. that we all always have room
            for improving ourselves, both internally and in our effect
            externally on the everyone, and in our overcoming the difference
            between the internal and the external, by integrating it into shared
            consciousnesses. To everyone else this is a very rewarding part of
            the archive from my experience participating also here at that time:
            and it's thread.

            Have any of you read Fukuoka-sensei referring to himself as a
            pantheist or even a panentheist or as an anarchist?

            I don't recall reading anywhere Fukuoka-sensei calling himself any
            of these things, even the chapter section in "The Ultimatum of God
            Nature..." about Agnosticism is an invention of the translator,
            because i went hunting for the Japanese word for Agnostic in my
            Japanese edition chapter and it is a vaguely similar sentence
            subject that Fukuoka-sensei talks about there, in the exactly the
            same paragraphs and subjects but there is no word agnostic in the
            Japanese. Of course correct me if i'm wrong on this point of record
            please. In the Japanese edition, the really philosophical section
            near the end, Fukuoka-sensei writes about the philosophy of Mu and
            shizen nouhou (spontaneous/nature farming - he Law/rules/methods as
            in translation the same english usage by Oz indigenous peoples of
            the Law for words such as Tjukurpa, Alcheringa -more like saying the
            law of the land, the rules of living, and the way of life) "(Mu) no
            tetsu gaku to shizen nou hou".

            shizen
            see (
            http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~ssb/access?Au=http%3A\
            %2F%2Fguest@...%2Fcgi-bin%2Fxpr-ddb.pl%3F81.xml%2Bid%28\
            %27b81ea-7136%27%29
            )

            Fukuoka-sensei then starts writing with the kanji word Mu.i

            see by pasting and searching for –³ˆ×

            also see (using the buddhist and earlier kanji read as 'i')(
            http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~ssb/access?Au=http%3A\
            %2F%2Fguest@...%2Fcgi-bin%2Fxpr-ddb.pl%3F71.xml%2Bid%28\
            %27b7121-7232%27%29
            )

            Cheers Adam, Thanks,

            Beauty mates,
            Jason
          • animaphile
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
              Whoops, sooorry! making some corrections - i don't have any computer
              myself working at home or electricity in the house at present
              (because of old batteries on my solar electricity), so i don't have
              much free time on computer at my neighbours and rush sometimes, that
              should be

              `eg. see
              ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fukuoka_farming/message/3190 )
              and its associated threads`

              `In the Japanese edition, the really philosophical section
              near the end, Fukuoka-sensei writes about the philosophy of Mu and
              shizen nouhou (meaning spontaneous/nature farming - the
              Law/rules/methods, as,
              in translation, the same english usage by Oz indigenous peoples of
              "the Law" for words such as Tjukurpa, Alcheringa -more like saying
              the law of the land, the rules of living, and the way of life)
              "(Mu) no tetsu gaku to shizen nou hou".`

              and also i neglected to say Adam that not only do i agree with
              Jensen-sensei words, but with yours also, even though by this i mean
              the intention i percieve of both of your words rather than
              necessarily the particularities of the wording.

              Thanks again, great discussion Adam & Jean-claude

              Konban wa (Good evening in Japanese),

              Jason
            • Adam Carter
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                Hi Jason,

                I appreciate your detailed response.

                Just a couple of things I'd like to elaborate on. If one perceives that
                the foundations of civilisation are rotten, then no amount of 'reform'
                is going to make a difference in the long run. There are increasing
                numbers of people who hold such perspectives. These people have not
                given up hope, it is just that their hopes are not confined to a
                civilised outlook.

                Instead of being directed at reform, their energies are directed in
                many different directions. Towards creating alternative means of
                subsistence and learning primitive skills. Towards defending remaining
                wild places. Towards undermining civilisation itself. Towards
                supporting surviving indigenous life ways.

                I can strongly recommend the books by Derrick Jensen (especially 'A
                Language Older than Words' and 'Culture of Make
                Believe'), Chellis Glendinning ('My name is Chellis and I'm in recovery
                from Western Civilisation' and 'Off the Map') and Daniel Quinn
                ('Ishmael') to name a few of the growing number of critiques of
                civilisation itself. While I'm on the subject of books, look out for
                'The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies' by
                Richard Heinberg not only does this give comprehensive analysis of the
                coming end of oil but it also debunks the myths of the 'sustainable'
                alternatives.

                You wondered at how someone using electricity can write meaningfully
                about returning to the 'stone age', but we do not have to wonder what
                it was like 10,000 years ago. Less than 250 years ago the entire
                continent that you and I live on was living quite happily and
                sustainably with stone tools.

                Cheers,

                Adam.

                PS. Jason, thanks for the recommendation of Tim Low's Wild Herbs book,
                I've ordered it today.
              • animaphile
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Jason,

                  > I appreciate your detailed response.

                  Thanks.
                  You've come from Melbourne recently.
                  I grew up in SE of Melbourne, did years of, all my life,
                  participating in nature there, learn't all species of plants, both
                  indig and introduced, 1500+, 600+ indig sp., most animals... great
                  place for me, but i'm not a sympathiser of some people i know there
                  who talk about overthrowing the city culture, i'm not a greeny-nazi,
                  i couldn't and wouldn't want to destroy the people who live there or
                  force them in any way, this would be so counter to compassion and to
                  bringing up & out the good nature that is the underlying base of
                  human nature. Even though the destruction of non-human nature there
                  that i love all my life is/was so severe and pernicious. My
                  experiences there were heartbreaking, many times many bushlands were
                  needlessly and/or wantonly harmed in a sado-masochistic or merchant
                  of death dealing way. Still good bush aswell and regeneration going
                  too.

                  > Just a couple of things I'd like to elaborate on. If one perceives
                  that the foundations of civilisation are rotten, then no amount
                  of 'reform' is going to make a difference in the long run. There are
                  increasing numbers of people who hold such perspectives. These
                  people have not given up hope, it is just that their hopes are not
                  confined to a civilised outlook.

                  I agree with the intention or sentiment but the wording
                  of 'foundations of civilisation are rotten' is rotten if anything
                  is, if throwing out this word then really you need to change
                  languages and throw out the english language also. Do you speak a
                  different language from English? Japanese and Indig' languages of
                  this continent are liberating examples, would you learn a Palawa
                  language perhaps?
                  What have you learn't about Indigenous people's of this continent so
                  far, as from your posts you imply that you are an originally non-
                  indig' person, hope i'm not wrong in this reading of your posts.
                  Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre/Corporation is very worthwhile.

                  > Instead of being directed at reform, their energies are directed
                  in many different directions.

                  Yeah!

                  > Towards creating alternative means of subsistence and learning
                  primitive skills.

                  There's nothing primitive about primitives - know wha' a mean?
                  I don't believe in alternatives or mainstreams, primitive or modern
                  they both define themselves by what they are opposed to or what they
                  are supposed not to be. Bring on at once becoming Eternal and MU!

                  >Towards defending remaining wild places.
                  Yeah!
                  Regenerating is better again and doesn't sow the seed of its own
                  conflict as defensiveness does.
                  >Towards undermining civilisation itself.

                  No need to undermine civilisation, just build a real one rather than
                  pretend, false one, eg. Indigenous civilisations, peoples, societies
                  of this continent. Jamie & Gloria's one's for Europe. etc.

                  > Towards supporting surviving indigenous life ways.

                  Yeah!
                  Sorry to be feeling like an editor of your wording, i don't really
                  presume to be an editor, rather it is continuing my detailed
                  response, because i am absolutely convinced that there is no benefit
                  in taking sides for anyone, you, me, or George W. Bush, Saddam, the
                  spooks in the intelligence agencies or even Satan.

                  > I can strongly recommend the books by Derrick Jensen
                  (especially 'A Language Older than Words' and 'Culture of Make
                  Believe'), Chellis Glendinning ('My name is Chellis and I'm in
                  recovery from Western Civilisation' and 'Off the Map') and Daniel
                  Quinn ('Ishmael') to name a few of the growing number of critiques
                  of civilisation itself. While I'm on the subject of books, look out
                  for 'The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial
                  Societies' by Richard Heinberg not only does this give comprehensive
                  analysis of the coming end of oil but it also debunks the myths of
                  the 'sustainable' alternatives.

                  Thanks it's the thought of yours that counts, i actually just had a
                  thorough read of all the write-ups of books on his website, and
                  after my own personal upbringing experiences i can say that i'm
                  beyond the life-phase of dealing with my parental families problems.
                  I've received alot of heart from indig' people's and different
                  people's including takusan Nihonjin (many japanese people) and
                  shared alot too, that has taken me beyond civilisation vs.
                  primitive, western vs. eastern, white vs. black, asian vs. european,
                  christian vs. 'other' than christian, eastern or japanese or
                  aboriginal christian vs. western christian, secular vs. non-secular,
                  materialistic vs. spiritual, man vs. woman, history vs. herstory,
                  linear thinking vs. lateral thinking vs. multidimensional thinking,
                  left brain vs. right brain, deep vs. shallow ecology (i've read
                  literally a 1000 or more ecology science papers, not incl. books
                  versus hundreds of (so called) deep ecology literatures, not to
                  mention dialogues with people, etc.), greeny vs. browny vs. redneck,
                  the attachment to money vs. the attachment to not having money (both
                  dictated by the action for or reaction against attachment to money,
                  i do go the bible on this "The love of(attachment to) money is the
                  root of all evil" not 'money is the root of all evil' - pls at least
                  consider jean-claude), technocracy vs. luddism (technology was and
                  is never the issue, people are the issue and their societies and
                  choices made by people & societies about technology ie. attachment
                  to for or against technology), paleao (lithic) vs. neo (lithic)
                  (words mean literally old vs. new rocks - old stones vs. new
                  stones), good vs. bad, attached-to-science vs. against-science vs.
                  sucker-for-psuedo-science (all still dictated in mode of thinking by
                  science, whether for or against or hoodwinked by), etc.
                  There is an important section in Fukuoka's "Ultimatum of God
                  Nature..." ("KAMI TO SHIZEN TO HITO NO KAKUMEI...") where he
                  describes and discusses "Men who kill God", it is especially
                  important for us men who have come from societies that have been
                  dominated by nature destructive ideologies. The use of the word
                  civilisation can be a very good meaning, furthermore it can be
                  reclaimed by secure type people away from any destructive meanings
                  to mean humane, civil, a citizen of God Nature, etc. There no reason
                  to be a word-fashion-victim for Jensen or anyone, we make the
                  language, not at the mercy of it, as we make the future every
                  present moment! Does any of the writing above directly address
                  Hawkins & Lovins "Natural Capitalism" i like to extract the
                  happening empirical info out of that publ., it is spontaneous, up to
                  date-ish more than most and edifying. I don't like it when anyone
                  diminishes faith in human nature or any nature, there's nothing
                  wrong with nature, there is some things wrong with some stuff in
                  some poeple's heads not the least of which is us brought up in
                  materialist, secular-christian, stratified, babylon-system...
                  societies. But it is all only `in people's heads`. To paraphrase Tim
                  Peters, if your yardstick or guidebook of life be wrong or you ask
                  the wrong question then you have f..k all hope of getting the right
                  answer or any answer. Bring on MU!

                  > You wondered at how someone using electricity can write
                  meaningfully about returning to the 'stone age', but we do not have
                  to wonder what it was like 10,000 years ago.

                  I'd like you to explore that inconsitency some more that i
                  mentioned, about myself and us, and whoever.

                  >Less than 250 years ago the entire continent that you and I live on
                  was living quite happily and sustainably with stone tools.

                  Yes!
                  But it wasn't BECAUSE of stone tools that they were/are happy or
                  sustainable 250 years ago or today, that is the very materialistic
                  (european if we like that word for a convention of assumed meaning)
                  obsession with materials and technological determinisms, and also
                  archaeologies largely dependence upon material artefacts, and
                  whitefellah's societies, up till recently at least, reliance on
                  archaeology as their abriter of truth about indigenous peoples of
                  this continent. When really archaeology can only be misleading
                  compared to simply directly asking to teach their civilisation
                  & 'culture' & customs & spirituality. To emphasise indig' peoples of
                  this continents' pre-eminence in religion/spirituality, society,
                  kinship and social systems more than just & in addition to their
                  tool technologies is more in keeping with what apparently makes my
                  indig' friends today happy about themselves, and more about the
                  strengths of their societies and cultures in being sustainable.

                  Have you read David Horton's book "The Pure State of Nature" it is
                  better than nothing, but like everything partial. He's an
                  archaeologist, sheep farmer and was editor of the Encyclopedia of
                  Aboriginal Australia. He debunks many of the lies & underestimations
                  by whitefellahs about Indig' peoples of this continent, but then
                  introduces a few underestimations of his own, ie. he debunks
                  different whitefella's partialities and then projects his own
                  partialities from the specialisation of archaeology and especially
                  simplistic underestimations about indig' farming (Fukuoka-defined
                  farming) which is understandable & expectable given his emotional
                  investment in his own sheep farm. I've read the anthropology paper,
                  and many more of them, (Haynes & Chase, "Plant sites and
                  domiculture") that he criticises about Oz Indig' farming in Cape
                  York, and it is so obvious that they planted seeds there for food
                  plants that for Horton to refuse to accept this is an absurd, even
                  racist in a partial about-farming-or-horticulture-way,
                  underestimating of Indig' people's of this continent. Even my local
                  community indig friends have told me 'on the quiet' that
                  transporting & planting native seeds for food is natural thing for
                  them, their ancestors and their particular customs of their S.E. Oz
                  culture.

                  Nonetheless, while being wary of it limitations, it is a very
                  worthwhile, important reading for the world to read about Oz. It is
                  a good book to give to all those neighbours who you said thought or
                  called you mad in what you're doing on farm. This is exactly what
                  i've done here with success in gaining mutual understanding with my
                  neighbours and their & my mutual joy. No madness accussations. It is
                  even available as an Adobe ebook (ebooks.com) for US$7.95, normally
                  AUD$30+ on paper.

                  I'd also suggest for reading as first suggestions from me: Larissa
                  Behrendt "Aboriginal Dispute Resolution". An Indig' young woman from
                  SE Oz, a highly qualified lawyer, spokesperson on TV, etc. I've
                  learn't profound lessons on how to live my own whitefellah life
                  better from Larissa Behrendt, as she reccommends in that book. Did
                  you read some of my earlier quotes and links about indig peoples,
                  such as Eve Fesl's book "Conned" that i quoted the intro from.
                  And "Ancestor Spirits", and Koorie Plants Koorie People, this would
                  be a No. 1 book for you to get, in my humble opinion

                  There are many native nitrogen fixers that would be the equal of
                  clover in Oz, not that clover is bad in Oz, it is fairly harmless,
                  not much weedy, but that can't be said for the changes it makes in
                  the micro-organisms in Oz particularly, because we have our own
                  unique sets of Oz micro-organisms with our plant species, to be
                  clear it is not an either or choice though, just be careful and wary
                  with clover - soil - micro-organisms in Oz, and as Fukuoka advises
                  don't do anything at all that's unneccessary. She-oaks (Casuarina &
                  Allocasuarina) are nitrogen fixers also to legumes and wattles.
                  Murnong root vegetable grows in Tassie. It may be a threatened
                  species like the Camas root vegetable in Canada that Stephen Inniss
                  mentioned many moons ago as threatened and depleted around his
                  town, - the solution rather than just the problem identification
                  with this is to get in good terms with the Botanists, Jamie
                  Kirkpatrick is a great one is Tassie, and help to grow this murnong
                  on your place as an re-dispersal and regeneration of its former
                  range if it is at all possible to grow on your place. Very good
                  taste root raw or cooked. Could be a double good one for you Adam.
                  Desmodium are one of many native legume genera around in Oz.

                  > Cheers,

                  > Adam.
                  >
                  > PS. Jason, thanks for the recommendation of Tim Low's Wild Herbs
                  book, I've ordered it today.

                  Great!

                  See Ya, Jyaa-ne
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                    > the attachment to money vs. the attachment to not having money (both
                    > dictated by the action for or reaction against attachment to money,
                    > i do go the bible on this "The love of(attachment to) money is the
                    > root of all evil" not 'money is the root of all evil' - pls at least
                    > consider jean-claude),

                    I am not talking about the attachement or non attachment to money as a
                    source of a problem but money itself as an inapropriate means to satisfy
                    needs .
                    it is like trying to hit a nail with a rake or some other inapropriate
                    tool.( like a plow to aerate the soil )
                    IT is not question of being attached or not to any quantity of it but it is
                    about removing peoples from the direct experience that occur in the
                    circulation of energy.
                    That is what is wrong with this concept of trying to symbolise, quantify
                    circulation of energy ..
                    it is like replacing by words the direct experience of observing something .

                    Also and on top of that Nowhere in nature there is this idea <i give you
                    that if you give me this > or any idea of storing beyond needs in case ...

                    at last there is , even more so , the artificial regulation of the
                    circulation of energy symbolised by money organised by the banking and
                    financial system .That is nothing less that a very brutal way of depriving
                    peoples from the possibility of satisfying their needs in a direct , real
                    way ...
                    jean-claude
                  • Adam Carter
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                      Hi Jason,

                      Thanks for the time you have taken on this subject. However we seem to
                      have gone far off topic from this mailing list so I think it is
                      probably best we leave this thread for now. Otherwise we could be
                      spending the rest of our lives going backward and forwards on this one
                      :-)

                      For the record, my wife is aboriginal. Although I'll also add that my
                      perspectives we're formed independently of that fact.

                      Like you, I have been on a long journey to arrive at where I am now.
                      While we have arrived at different destinations, there is still much we
                      have in common.

                      Towards a better world,

                      Adam.
                    • animaphile
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                        Thanks so much fellahs for the energy of your writings,
                        I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments,
                        Jean-claude, i agree with your oh so clear articulation of the
                        corrupting limitation of money as a system of exchange (have i got
                        this description right jean-claude?), my sentiment overlaps in
                        meaning with that but is not identical with it. I don't care about
                        money as something to be for or as something to fight against, i
                        think fighting this would waste my energy, not that you, jean-claude
                        are necessarily fighting against it when you're writing accurately
                        descriptive and explanatory words. Paper/Plastic money, is just
                        paper to me, it just represents something that it could be but is as
                        useful on its own as a bit of bark of a tree. Metal money, is just a
                        lump of metal to me,it just represents something that it could be
                        but is as useful on its own as a sinker for fishing line. It's the
                        concept of money in some (so many) people's heads that Jean-claude
                        describes so well that i reject.
                        Adam,
                        Thanks, my reading of Fukuoka-sensei books and so on, emphasises to
                        me that we are not of topic at all here, according to the way
                        Fukuoka himself and Stephen Canner define Fukuoka_Farming. It is
                        quite fruitful what you & Jean-claude are talking about, - reading
                        of 4 English translation books and one Japanese book. See the
                        following messages in the archive for listings of books everyone
                        (from my offline archive) "Michiyo & Kyle's booklist FF msg no's:
                        1019 1286 2325 2338 & even more important related 2374 2384 2385
                        2386 2389 2876" & ( http://www.infomadonna.ne.jp/~ham/book.htm ). So
                        don't worry about being off topic with this thread, please continue
                        with this thread if you want to, tiredness and not being outside in
                        the field is a different topic and from that we are maybe off the
                        topic of not being out in our fields. Your a lucky man with your
                        wife and place in Tassie. I'll contact you by email with
                        `Aboriginal` intellectual nature information property links which i
                        have a little incumbancy to privately return to respective people,
                        and to share more personal dialogue that i don't make public with
                        unknown strangers.

                        Great communications,
                        Arigato gozaimasu,
                        Jason

                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude

                        [animaphile - jason - wrote]

                        wrote:
                        > Hi Jason,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the time you have taken on this subject. However we
                        seem to have gone far off topic from this mailing list so I think it
                        is probably best we leave this thread for now. Otherwise we could be
                        spending the rest of our lives going backward and forwards on this
                        one :-)

                        > For the record, my wife is aboriginal. Although I'll also add that
                        my perspectives we're formed independently of that fact.

                        > Like you, I have been on a long journey to arrive at where I am
                        now.
                        > While we have arrived at different destinations, there is still
                        much we have in common.

                        > Towards a better world,
                        >
                        > Adam.
                      • animaphile
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 7, 2004
                          Catry" <instinct@s...> wrote:

                          > [quoted Adam Carter wrote:]
                          > > Hi Jason,
                          > >
                          > > In my opinion this is simply more false hope that distracts
                          people from the reality (and urgency) of the situation. To be
                          sustainable indefinitely a culture must not take more from its
                          environment than it returns. Stone age technology is sustainable,
                          anything beyond that is not sustainable. Sure, there are ways and
                          means to be more sustainable than we are now but that is not the
                          same as being sustainable.

                          > > Please have a read of a small article by Derrick Jensen that
                          sums it up quite nicely, http://www.derrickjensen.org/ga.html

                          > i am also thinking that way , and am ready myself to do the move
                          toward this level of sustainiblity.... but not alone .

                          Yes! Yes!, for me not alone -even not just one family alone, is such
                          a neccessary point. Only as a society can it - practice, in my
                          perception actually become sustainable (sustainable meaning that it
                          continues to occur aswell as meaning that it continues not to do any
                          unsustainable practices), it is necessary to make personal decisions
                          to be sustainable all the time through one's life, but to continue
                          personally one needs a conducive society aswell in the long/medium
                          term of many decades. So many people have done it individually or
                          personally in adverse societies but have become burn't out, i feel
                          real compassion and concern for them doing it alone, so i think and
                          i myself partly successfully practice influencing my communities in
                          East Gippsland, Melbourne & Sydney to be more informed and
                          sympathetic and practice themselves sustainability of the kind that
                          Fukuoka points so clearly to. Not preaching is what i really try
                          hard to do, even though communicating in a firm tone with my
                          communities, i realise that often many of these people got their
                          ideas that maintain their unsustainabilty from what they've read and
                          heard in the media, so i often provide debunking media, books and
                          radio and TV and newspapers to them, i have succeeded in some
                          spinning-back the spin-out ideas of how to use human-ignited fire
                          here and some reduction of peoples cultural cringe towards
                          indigenous people's foods (called bush tucker or bushfood). It's not
                          easy but is incidently socially very rewarding. Some seriously
                          unsustainable people are very friendly toward me.

                          > yet david suzuki goals that are more geared toward reducing
                          drastically pollutions than sustainibility is really achievable in
                          principal but one main obstacle is the artificiality of money
                          economy orchestrated by banks and other wall street type of wealth
                          maker that in no way represent the real exchange of energies ...

                          i agree so true.

                          > little farmers knows that ,they don't have a chance to be
                          recognised for their performances into making more out of less.

                          i agree so very true.

                          > considering that the sun is constantly bombarding the earth , it is
                          > completelly possible to produce more energy than is used up (
                          creation is there to prove it )in opposition with other forms of
                          farming that require more or less a deficit between what is produced
                          and and what is spent.( mechanical ,chemical , monocultured and
                          centralised agriculture being the worst .)

                          i agree, good ?new insight for records on group.

                          > David suzuki is a yuppi confortable kind of guy who are not
                          willing to go to stone age technology even if it is what it takes
                          to be really sustainable ( too bad he miss the opportunity to knows
                          the comfort that comes from being willing to risk uncomfort ....

                          so great a point, thank you

                          > jean-claude

                          Arigato,
                          Jason
                        • Gerald Whitehawk
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 10, 2004
                            Why you all fight, when all want same thing -- be bigger than the other.
                            That not-natural. Money, only expression non-natural want to have more than
                            need. When non-natural wishes fall, money non-useful. Earth beautiful
                            again. Too much in your heads, not-natural.

                            Use wise words of other people� but use them wisely? You have to go look
                            for your hearts in yourself, first. Natural?: eat, drink, piss, sleep� just
                            enough for natural necessities. Can you be happy with that? If not need
                            money, destroy Earth! The point of natural life, the perfection of spirit -
                            loosing ego.

                          • macropneuma
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 10, 2004
                              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Whitehawk"
                              <gwhitehawk@h...> wrote:

                              > Why you all fight, when all want same thing -- be bigger than the
                              other.
                              > That not-natural. Money, only expression non-natural want to have
                              more than
                              > need. When non-natural wishes fall, money non-useful. Earth
                              beautiful
                              > again. Too much in your heads, not-natural.
                              >
                              > Use wise words of other people… but use them wisely? You have to
                              go look
                              > for your hearts in yourself, first. Natural?: eat, drink, piss,
                              sleep… just
                              > enough for natural necessities. Can you be happy with that? If
                              not need
                              > money, destroy Earth! The point of natural life, the perfection
                              of spirit -
                              > loosing ego.

                              Thankyou
                              Beauty mate (Australian English similar to thank you)
                              Arigato gozaimasu (Japanese thank you)
                              I Agree including for myself.

                              Jason