Re: [fukuoka_farming] edible weeds

  • Adam Carter
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hi Sergio,

      Assuming that you know what weeds you have (and don't need the book to
      help with identification) then the best book to obtain is "Cornucopia
      II - A source book of Edible Plants" by Stephen Facciola. This book is
      encyclopedic and includes of 3000 species and 7000 varieties of food
      plants and their uses by presenting habitat and growing requirements,
      the part of the plant used and traditional uses. The only thing it
      doesn't do is help with identification. This book is available from
      Green Harvest Seeds and you could send them an email at
      inquiries@... to get a quote on sending the book to the
      Philippines. Unfortunately the book is not cheap at AUD $95. A quick
      search on the internet comes up with a prices of USD $40 so you could
      explore obtaining it elsewhere.

      The other book that I mentioned, In Touch with the Earth - Useful Weeds
      at our Doorstep' by Pat Collins, is a lot cheaper at AUD $19.95 but it
      does focus on weeds common in temperate Australia and I would be
      concerned that it may not be of much use to you in the Philippines. The
      email address for ordering this book is
      enquiries@...

      Then again, unlike most of us in the 'West', your knowledge of uses for
      local 'weeds' is probably very strong already.

      Regards,

      Adam.

    • animaphile
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
        G'day Ernie,
        It's great to read of your good intentions sympathetic with
        Fukuoka's goals, as an additional person to me in Victoria, Oz, and
        also some people previosly on this group such as Elizabeth Denk and
        so on.

        On this map of the bioregions of Victoria -see
        (
        http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/web/root/Domino/vro/maps.nsf/pages/\
        vic_bioregions?Opendocument
        )
        I'm am in the East Gippsland Lowlands region of Victoria's (Oz)
        bioregions and am also on the border, more or less, of (the State)
        New South Wales. Here is country that the Maap (indigenous) people
        come from. I have lived and worked in Melbourne for many years and
        worked in nature restoration (also called ecological restoration,
        bush regeneration) and in flora and fauna surveying and with
        indigenous peoples all over victoria, including flora & fauna
        surveys in Western Victoria in the Grampians, in Mallee country and
        mallee heathlands, some goldfields work, etc., which are somewhere
        around your area. I hope i may be able to help you with your place,
        with many helpful contact people i can put you in touch with in your
        area - at present i'm in East Gippsland about 600-1000 kms east -
        with much information sources, and with hopefully for you some
        answers or ideas directly from me.

        Firstly which bioregion on the above map would you be in? i could
        picture better in my mind what your place is like in detail if i
        know this, also do you know which type(s) of mallee gum you have,
        golden wattle - the Oz floral emblem - is well known, you can roast
        and eat the seeds of golden wattle and most Victorian wattle trees,
        they are great tasting food, rich in protein and energy in their
        oils, there is much literature and some people and groups i can
        point you to on how to prepare and eat foods such as victorian
        native wattles and many more foods.

        The books mentioned on edible weeds above are good advice, i can add
        my support from experience of eating such species as sow thistles
        etc. Also, for you and Adam and anyone else from Oz, Tim Low also
        wrote a book called "Wild herbs of Australia and New Zealand"
        there's now a 1991 revised edition, (ISBN 0207170010, published in
        1991 by Angus and Robertson, colour and b&w, soft cover, 160 pages
        Price $A19.95 plus $A10 postage within Australia or $A30 overseas
        airmail). Tim Low is the author also of one some better bush food
        books in Oz by 'whitefullahs'.
        see ( http://www.weedinfo.com.au/bk_main2f.html )

        There are also many understory plants aswell as shrubs and trees -
        edible, medicinal, for tool making, nitrogen fixing such as the
        great nitrogen fixers the wattles like your golden wattle.
        Do you have a creek or stream on your place? - this changes what
        types of plants that can grow, naturally, and may give more food
        varieties.

        Mining obviously does alot of damage to soil, but if there are
        broken up rocks or mullock heaps from the mining over the last 100
        years, that would erode the rocks more and weather out their
        phophorus and maybe nitrogen to likely provide at least a little
        more plant soil nutrient than plain rocks before hand. Even mining
        has its minor, i stress minor upsides, even though obviously the
        soil structure is better without it.

        Would you have a digital photo of your place, perhaps i could
        further perceive your situation and perhaps come up with some
        detailed opportunities that you have in the context of your place,
        it must be quite different to where i am know in Victoria, but quite
        similar to places where my natural farming friends are such as
        Castlemaine, Wartook/Laharum area of the Grampians, etc. I must get
        a photo or two of my place online soon.

        Thanks for the enjoyment of sharing our not so far away,
        geographically and ecosystematically, natural farming propositions.
        Not so far as North America or Europe at least.

        Beauty to all,
        Jason Stewart

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "sm303lemk4" <ernie@g...>
        wrote:
        > I've have 40 acres of rather hard land in a low rain fall area of
        Victoria Australia which I have now owned for just over a year. I
        intend to use only a small part of the land for producing enough
        product to supply my needs and leave the rest to nature but in a
        better condition than its in now.
        > Over that time most of the advice given to me on making the land
        more productive has been to deep rip the earth and then bring in
        truck loads of top soil ,river sand ,and manure. This attitude has
        never felt right to me and seems a quick fix solution to a long term
        problem. After looking for alternative ways to improve the land I
        came across "The One Straw Revolution" and a set of ideas that I
        feel more comfortable with and finally this group. I am wondering if
        anyone has used these methods to bring new life to a depleated part
        of the land.
        > A quick rundown on the area. The land I own lies on the edge of a
        quarts reef. Over the last 1 hundred years the area has been mined,
        striped of the vegitation for timber and heaverly grazed with no
        improvements done. The 2 main plants on my land are the Golden
        Wattle and Malley Gum.Grasses and weeds are the main forms of
        seasonal ground gover. The soil is lacking in organic material with
        good runoff ability but poor drainage once you get the water in. To
        dig any holes throughout the year a crow bar is essential or some
        form of mechanical device is needed. Rain fall is 400mm on average.
        I have found that if you dont replace the soil when putting in
        plants then in a matter of days the newly dug up ground has set hard
        again and water penitration is difficult. Sorry for the non
        technical description.
        > Any useful comments or ideas would be most welcome.

        > Ernie.
      • penny_wia
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2004
          Thanks for that info, Adam - I shall check out the local library for
          the book by Pat Collins, as well as Tim Low's book, mentioned in a
          later post.
          I spent a few hours searching the Internet for info about edible
          weeds in North Queensland a few weeks ago, but came up with nothing,
          so I will try books next.
          Flo

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Carter <accarter@i...>