Re: [fukuoka_farming] Land rejuvenating

  • Adam Carter
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi Ernie,

      One thing that you should look into is the edibility of any of the
      weeds that currently grow in your land. I've been really surprised
      about how many weeds we have growing here that are edible and now make
      up a fair part of our diet. A great book containing common edible weeds
      is 'In Touch with the Earth - Useful Weeds at our Doorstep' by Pat
      Collins. Pat lives in the Hunter Valley but I have found her book
      extremely useful down here in Tasmania. The book is available from
      Green Patch Seeds http://www.greenpatchseeds.com.au/herbsremedies.html
      I have taken a number of my weeds to the local Herbarium (part of the
      University) for positive identification (although they refused to
      comment on edibility - I needed the book for that but the internet is
      useful too once you know what you've got).

      Gloria mentioned daikon radish. Should you go down this path, I have
      found Green Patch to be the most economical place to buy daikon seeds
      from in quantity at $120 for 1kg (another company quoted me $900 for
      1kg!). I'll be sowing my daikon in another month or so.

      Cheers,

      Adam
      Tasmania
    • Sergio Montinola
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
        Dear Adam,

        I received and read your email on "edible weeds".

        Very interesting and valuable to all natural farmers.
        I would kike to get hold of the book too.

        I am in the Philippines. we have all kinds of weeds.
        Daikon seeds is not that expensive over here. Maybe we
        can help those that need it too.

        We use our weeds as herbal and medicinal plants most
        of the time.

        Regards,

        Sergio J. Montinola

        --- Adam Carter <accarter@...> wrote:
        > Hi Ernie,
        >
        > One thing that you should look into is the edibility
        > of any of the
        > weeds that currently grow in your land. I've been
        > really surprised
        > about how many weeds we have growing here that are
        > edible and now make
        > up a fair part of our diet. A great book containing
        > common edible weeds
        > is 'In Touch with the Earth - Useful Weeds at our
        > Doorstep' by Pat
        > Collins. Pat lives in the Hunter Valley but I have
        > found her book
        > extremely useful down here in Tasmania. The book is
        > available from
        > Green Patch Seeds
        > http://www.greenpatchseeds.com.au/herbsremedies.html
        >
        > I have taken a number of my weeds to the local
        > Herbarium (part of the
        > University) for positive identification (although
        > they refused to
        > comment on edibility - I needed the book for that
        > but the internet is
        > useful too once you know what you've got).
        >
        > Gloria mentioned daikon radish. Should you go down
        > this path, I have
        > found Green Patch to be the most economical place to
        > buy daikon seeds
        > from in quantity at $120 for 1kg (another company
        > quoted me $900 for
        > 1kg!). I'll be sowing my daikon in another month or
        > so.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Adam
        > Tasmania

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • Sergio Montinola
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
            Hi Sergio,

            Assuming that you know what weeds you have (and don't need the book to
            help with identification) then the best book to obtain is "Cornucopia
            II - A source book of Edible Plants" by Stephen Facciola. This book is
            encyclopedic and includes of 3000 species and 7000 varieties of food
            plants and their uses by presenting habitat and growing requirements,
            the part of the plant used and traditional uses. The only thing it
            doesn't do is help with identification. This book is available from
            Green Harvest Seeds and you could send them an email at
            inquiries@... to get a quote on sending the book to the
            Philippines. Unfortunately the book is not cheap at AUD $95. A quick
            search on the internet comes up with a prices of USD $40 so you could
            explore obtaining it elsewhere.

            The other book that I mentioned, In Touch with the Earth - Useful Weeds
            at our Doorstep' by Pat Collins, is a lot cheaper at AUD $19.95 but it
            does focus on weeds common in temperate Australia and I would be
            concerned that it may not be of much use to you in the Philippines. The
            email address for ordering this book is
            enquiries@...

            Then again, unlike most of us in the 'West', your knowledge of uses for
            local 'weeds' is probably very strong already.

            Regards,

            Adam.

          • animaphile
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
              G'day Ernie,
              It's great to read of your good intentions sympathetic with
              Fukuoka's goals, as an additional person to me in Victoria, Oz, and
              also some people previosly on this group such as Elizabeth Denk and
              so on.

              On this map of the bioregions of Victoria -see
              (
              http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/web/root/Domino/vro/maps.nsf/pages/\
              vic_bioregions?Opendocument
              )
              I'm am in the East Gippsland Lowlands region of Victoria's (Oz)
              bioregions and am also on the border, more or less, of (the State)
              New South Wales. Here is country that the Maap (indigenous) people
              come from. I have lived and worked in Melbourne for many years and
              worked in nature restoration (also called ecological restoration,
              bush regeneration) and in flora and fauna surveying and with
              indigenous peoples all over victoria, including flora & fauna
              surveys in Western Victoria in the Grampians, in Mallee country and
              mallee heathlands, some goldfields work, etc., which are somewhere
              around your area. I hope i may be able to help you with your place,
              with many helpful contact people i can put you in touch with in your
              area - at present i'm in East Gippsland about 600-1000 kms east -
              with much information sources, and with hopefully for you some
              answers or ideas directly from me.

              Firstly which bioregion on the above map would you be in? i could
              picture better in my mind what your place is like in detail if i
              know this, also do you know which type(s) of mallee gum you have,
              golden wattle - the Oz floral emblem - is well known, you can roast
              and eat the seeds of golden wattle and most Victorian wattle trees,
              they are great tasting food, rich in protein and energy in their
              oils, there is much literature and some people and groups i can
              point you to on how to prepare and eat foods such as victorian
              native wattles and many more foods.

              The books mentioned on edible weeds above are good advice, i can add
              my support from experience of eating such species as sow thistles
              etc. Also, for you and Adam and anyone else from Oz, Tim Low also
              wrote a book called "Wild herbs of Australia and New Zealand"
              there's now a 1991 revised edition, (ISBN 0207170010, published in
              1991 by Angus and Robertson, colour and b&w, soft cover, 160 pages
              Price $A19.95 plus $A10 postage within Australia or $A30 overseas
              airmail). Tim Low is the author also of one some better bush food
              books in Oz by 'whitefullahs'.
              see ( http://www.weedinfo.com.au/bk_main2f.html )

              There are also many understory plants aswell as shrubs and trees -
              edible, medicinal, for tool making, nitrogen fixing such as the
              great nitrogen fixers the wattles like your golden wattle.
              Do you have a creek or stream on your place? - this changes what
              types of plants that can grow, naturally, and may give more food
              varieties.

              Mining obviously does alot of damage to soil, but if there are
              broken up rocks or mullock heaps from the mining over the last 100
              years, that would erode the rocks more and weather out their
              phophorus and maybe nitrogen to likely provide at least a little
              more plant soil nutrient than plain rocks before hand. Even mining
              has its minor, i stress minor upsides, even though obviously the
              soil structure is better without it.

              Would you have a digital photo of your place, perhaps i could
              further perceive your situation and perhaps come up with some
              detailed opportunities that you have in the context of your place,
              it must be quite different to where i am know in Victoria, but quite
              similar to places where my natural farming friends are such as
              Castlemaine, Wartook/Laharum area of the Grampians, etc. I must get
              a photo or two of my place online soon.

              Thanks for the enjoyment of sharing our not so far away,
              geographically and ecosystematically, natural farming propositions.
              Not so far as North America or Europe at least.

              Beauty to all,
              Jason Stewart

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "sm303lemk4" <ernie@g...>
              wrote:
              > I've have 40 acres of rather hard land in a low rain fall area of
              Victoria Australia which I have now owned for just over a year. I
              intend to use only a small part of the land for producing enough
              product to supply my needs and leave the rest to nature but in a
              better condition than its in now.
              > Over that time most of the advice given to me on making the land
              more productive has been to deep rip the earth and then bring in
              truck loads of top soil ,river sand ,and manure. This attitude has
              never felt right to me and seems a quick fix solution to a long term
              problem. After looking for alternative ways to improve the land I
              came across "The One Straw Revolution" and a set of ideas that I
              feel more comfortable with and finally this group. I am wondering if
              anyone has used these methods to bring new life to a depleated part
              of the land.
              > A quick rundown on the area. The land I own lies on the edge of a
              quarts reef. Over the last 1 hundred years the area has been mined,
              striped of the vegitation for timber and heaverly grazed with no
              improvements done. The 2 main plants on my land are the Golden
              Wattle and Malley Gum.Grasses and weeds are the main forms of
              seasonal ground gover. The soil is lacking in organic material with
              good runoff ability but poor drainage once you get the water in. To
              dig any holes throughout the year a crow bar is essential or some
              form of mechanical device is needed. Rain fall is 400mm on average.
              I have found that if you dont replace the soil when putting in
              plants then in a matter of days the newly dug up ground has set hard
              again and water penitration is difficult. Sorry for the non
              technical description.
              > Any useful comments or ideas would be most welcome.

              > Ernie.
            • penny_wia
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2004
                Thanks for that info, Adam - I shall check out the local library for
                the book by Pat Collins, as well as Tim Low's book, mentioned in a
                later post.
                I spent a few hours searching the Internet for info about edible
                weeds in North Queensland a few weeks ago, but came up with nothing,
                so I will try books next.
                Flo

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Carter <accarter@i...>