Re: [fukuoka_farming] Response to Jason Stewart

  • Adam Carter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2004
      Hi Jason,

      I agree with you with about Fukuoka's finger and the problems with the
      term 'Natural Farming'. For me the word 'farming' will always have
      negative connotations even in the context of Fukuoka's ideas (albeit to
      a much lesser degree than industrial agriculture). A world made up of
      billions of small plots of land is as undesirable as the present state
      of the world. However I do view Fukuoka's ideas as a bridge between
      where we are now and a return to the only proven long term sustainable
      form of human existence - living as hunter gatherers. Of course, the
      bridge is only theoretical because it won't be crossed in practice :-(

      As far as my own situation goes. I've only recently escaped from
      Melbourne and have been living in the far south of Tassie for about
      nine months. So far I've planted a lot of apple and hazel nut trees.
      The hazel nuts will be used as a grain substitute (we currently grind
      purchased nuts up and make pancakes etc with them). In autumn I'll be
      sowing an area with white clover and a number of winter vegetables that
      are prone to self seeding and will follow that up in spring with other
      self seeding varieties. The aim to be to create a self sustaining
      source of vegetables. However we are already self sufficient in greens
      as we are eating a number of weeds that grow on our land - dock,
      sorrel, thistles, false dandelion and plantain. We've chickens and
      ducks for meat and eggs however I aim to supply all of our meat needs
      through hunting game (as difficult as that is both practically and
      psychologically). Basically the idea is to get as close as possible to
      a hunting and gathering existence, even though much of the gathering
      will be of introduced species. I'm learning as much as is possible
      about known bush foods, the main problem being the loss of knowledge
      due to the genocide committed by the invading Europeans (not to mention
      the ongoing ecocide by Forestry Tasmania). Insects are another food
      source I'll be looking into along with earth worms which I haven't yet
      tried but are apparently very nutritious.

      So, to sum it up, I'm going to eat what is edible and learn to enjoy
      it. It's really not as cold as you may expect down here and we have a
      great advantage of a good rainfall which is important because I won't
      be watering anything. The acidic clay soil is a drawback but the edible
      weeds I mentioned earlier demonstrate that edible plants will grow and
      I'm not going to be fussy.

      Cheers,

      Adam.