hay, and we need more of that on our fields.

  • les landeck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      Happy New Year

      Please keep the interaction up. you all can not begin
      to understand how much your incite as to your
      perspective has meant to me this year.

      each and everyone of you brings incite and balance to
      my growing need to learn others needs and incites as
      to our place in this time of learning.

      There is a need to follow one direction but others
      need in their own way, to find there way. each of you
      can help most by teaching what you have observed. not
      as i have had a problem with, what i believe and or
      some thing stronger.

      i greatly enjoy your personal incites. i next want to
      learn who has influenced you in your learning an what
      incite you have gained from the two.

      my ego tells me i'am dam good at what i do. others
      tell me the same. so what! my ignorance is still
      complete. every post is new incite, a new look on a
      old question that must be rethought reconsidered
      reevaluated. we are all moving forward with a need to
      make tomorrow better, yet it is a step clime and we
      need to help each other up. in order to see and
      understand our incite's and how we came to them.

      i have no problem with someone with an idea 180
      degrees from me other than the loss of sleep they
      cause me rethinking what i thought i understood. many
      times i have had to agree and change my ways. and
      other times i have had to wait over ten, twenty, and
      now thirty years for some to care more about others,
      and learn understand why in their own way.

      i'am in the middle of understanding the loss of of
      another human life, yet dealing with some thousand
      ants moving in for food and warmth and space sharing.
      how did i do? better but not well.

      if life is equal i did very bad. yet better than the
      past. next time?

      Happy New Year Do Well And Please Teach Us What You
      Have Observed and Learned so we may all grow.

      Les

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • les landeck
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2004
[...]

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Robin, Maya, or Napi
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2004
          Thank you, Ms. or Mr. Les, for a beautiful thought in the morning's mail. The
          liberatingly humble phrase "my ignorance is still complete" starts us into the
          garden in happiness, with all that there is to be observed, & without
          presumption that this visibly coming spring will add the *final* lessons to
          those of last spring, & the one before that, & the one before that.

          les landeck wrote:

          > Happy New Year
          >
          > Please keep the interaction up. you all can not begin
          > to understand how much your incite as to your
          > perspective has meant to me this year.
          >
          > each and everyone of you brings incite and balance to
          > my growing need to learn others needs and incites as
          > to our place in this time of learning.
          >
          > There is a need to follow one direction but others
          > need in their own way, to find there way. each of you
          > can help most by teaching what you have observed. not
          > as i have had a problem with, what i believe and or
          > some thing stronger.
          >
          > i greatly enjoy your personal incites. i next want to
          > learn who has influenced you in your learning an what
          > incite you have gained from the two.
          >
          > my ego tells me i'am dam good at what i do. others
          > tell me the same. so what! my ignorance is still
          > complete. every post is new incite, a new look on a
          > old question that must be rethought reconsidered
          > reevaluated. we are all moving forward with a need to
          > make tomorrow better, yet it is a step clime and we
          > need to help each other up. in order to see and
          > understand our incite's and how we came to them.
          >
          > i have no problem with someone with an idea 180
          > degrees from me other than the loss of sleep they
          > cause me rethinking what i thought i understood. many
          > times i have had to agree and change my ways. and
          > other times i have had to wait over ten, twenty, and
          > now thirty years for some to care more about others,
          > and learn understand why in their own way.
          >
          > i'am in the middle of understanding the loss of of
          > another human life, yet dealing with some thousand
          > ants moving in for food and warmth and space sharing.
          > how did i do? better but not well.
          >
          > if life is equal i did very bad. yet better than the
          > past. next time?
          >
          > Happy New Year Do Well And Please Teach Us What You
          > Have Observed and Learned so we may all grow.
          >
          > Les

        • Gloria C. Baikauskas
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2004
            Les......I would have to say that Emilia Hazelip from this list
            before her death had the most profound effect on me re gardening.
            Why? Because she caused me to pay attention to what was actually
            happening around me in the garden.

            Looking through her eyes in a way I began to see how Nature planned
            my beds for me....if only I would pay attention. I began to see how
            valuable weeds could be to the rebuilding of my soil....but also in
            general in the garden.

            It is hard to put aside a lifetime of lessons that tell us to add
            this to the soil, give that to the plants, etc. I am still learning.

            I will tell you I have been doing a happy dance the last few days.
            Last year again, but even more so, I did not mow large portions of my
            land. It was an experiment on many levels. One was to see how well
            Nature would do at replanting the land.....what wildflowers might
            appear.....would the birds seed some trees for me...that kind of
            thing. Another was to see what the weeds would do for the nutrition
            of the soil.

            I have been digging a swale near my grapevines. I have been putting
            the soil from the swale between two grapevines to create an oblong
            bed slightly raised. I decided to comb through the soil to remove
            some Johnson grass roots. That's what started the happy dance.
            Worms! Big, fat, long red worms......and in such abundance one would
            have thought I had stumbled on someone's stash for a long fishing
            trip! This is an area I have never amended in any way....except for
            very recently sprinkling it with some dry molasses before a heavy
            rain. That alone would not account for the large abundance, and the
            size, of the worms. Not that quickly.

            For me each worm I encounter on this land is a treasure. To find so
            many means I struck the Mother Lode. Life is good. Spring is ever
            so welcome!

            Gloria, Texas
          • carrieshepard
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 2004
              Yes,

              I just noticed the same thing happening in my yard! I have some
              flowering quince blooming for the first time this year and as I was
              pulling back the long dead grass that had sort of mulched it over
              the winter and wasn't allowing me full access to the view of the
              blossoms I also noticed there are more worms, and the soil is very
              rich and black from the castings. There are also lots of new shoots
              this season -- which is great because I want this to grow up and
              form a nice privacy hedge and wild bird habitat.

              I have several plantings of smaller shrubs that didn't get weeded or
              well tended last season and all of them are much better for it this
              season. The long grasses have fallen over and seem to have
              protected the plants from the harsh winter winds and at the same
              time fed the worms.

              Maybe this season the weedeater won't get used at all <G>,

              Carrie