Re: [fukuoka_farming] what is the point of this forum?

  • sinniss@shaw.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2003
      Jamie wrote (among other things):

      > What a mess I have made when all I intended was good!

      Jamie, any of us might say the same thing, after taking a hard look at
      ourselves, our words, and our works, in this small forum or in any other
      endeavour. Certainly I can frequently say this myself! The more you do
      and say, the more the opportunity for mistakes and regrets. Mr. Fukuoka
      warned us of this himself, from painful personal experience, and he's
      not alone in posting that particular warning. Nevertheless, Mr. Fukuoka
      (or any wise person) learns from these mistakes and takes another course
      of action (or inaction). As, quite clearly, do you. Good faith is still
      a good beginning, even if by itself it does not guarantee a good ending.

      As for the problem of whether we are actually accomplishing anything
      good or useful, I have yet to see a group of human beings, however
      intelligent, well informed, and well intentioned, achieve anything at
      all without a lot of jabber, posturing, and head-butting (usually, but
      not necessarily, by the males in the group, and most often by the
      younger males). Maybe the internet makes this worse, since it places
      words so far from deeds, but the basic story is ancient indeed and
      repeated daily all around us. We're all from the same flawed clay, so
      that's the way it plays out, especially near the beginning. In my view,
      we are very far indeed from the ending, though, so there is hope. The
      oak tree project is a prime example of just how far off that end may be!

      I believe any of our works of natural farming, however small, is of more
      value than the sum of words we have accumulated together. Nevertheless,
      some at least of those works were inspired and informed by those words,
      which of themselves are so sterile. To put it another way (and to risk
      offending some by quoting from the works of a famous Western skeptic):

      "I also know that we must cultivate our gardens."

      Jamie also wrote:

      > I believe we can achieve something quite wonderful together.

      So do I.

      Stephen