New member intro

  • Christine Abela
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hi! I am new here, and would like to introduce myself.

      My name is Christine, I live in Melbourne, Australia, with my husband
      and two children. We have a 2-acre suburban block (this is bigger
      than average!), and I grow lots of fruit and veg, organically. I try
      to follow Permaculture principals, but I don't always succeed, and
      sometimes succumb to the temptations of less-organic methods and
      products.

      Other hobbies include sewing, patchwork, painting and avoiding the
      ironing. In my spare time (of which I have little!) I run an
      internet-based quilt pattern business.

      I hope to learn more from this list, and meet lots of interesting
      people. I hope to put in a frog-friendly pond, more herbs, more
      fruit trees (with companion plantings beneath), and to expand the
      range of perennial food plants, rather than concentrating on annuals.

      I hope to learn HEAPS!

      Thanks,
      Christine Abela
      http://au.geocities.com/geckogully/
      Gecko Gully quilt patterns and hand-dye kits (coming soon: teddy bear
      clothes and doll's house quilts too!)
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
        Hi, Christine! I'm new too, so maybe I should introduce myself also...

        My name is Carol, and I live in Santa Cruz, California, where I have
        (unfortunately) no land to call my own or dirt to dig. I do, however, do
        lots and lots of reading about organic gardening and related things in
        preparation for the day when I do have a place to put my book-learnin to
        some use. Topics I'm especially fond of include earthworms, heirloom
        varieties, probiotics for plants, seedballs, and recently, cellulosic
        ethanol.

        I also produce an agriculture/food radio program, so that keeps me in touch
        with lots of interesting stuff. I'm hoping to do a show on Mr. Fukuoka
        before the year is out.

        :)
        Carol

        > Hi! I am new here, and would like to introduce myself.
        >
        > My name is Christine, I live in Melbourne, Australia, with my husband
        > and two children. We have a 2-acre suburban block (this is bigger
        > than average!), and I grow lots of fruit and veg, organically. I try
        > to follow Permaculture principals, but I don't always succeed, and
        > sometimes succumb to the temptations of less-organic methods and
        > products.
        >
        > Other hobbies include sewing, patchwork, painting and avoiding the
        > ironing. In my spare time (of which I have little!) I run an
        > internet-based quilt pattern business.
        >
        > I hope to learn more from this list, and meet lots of interesting
        > people. I hope to put in a frog-friendly pond, more herbs, more
        > fruit trees (with companion plantings beneath), and to expand the
        > range of perennial food plants, rather than concentrating on annuals.
        >
        > I hope to learn HEAPS!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Christine Abela
        > http://au.geocities.com/geckogully/
        > Gecko Gully quilt patterns and hand-dye kits (coming soon: teddy bear
        > clothes and doll's house quilts too!)

      • Carol Deppe
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
          Hi, Carol. Check out Jim Bones' website
          www.seedballs.com. There you will find out that
          Fukuoka is living, what he is up to these days, as
          well as be able to read an interview with him. c.

          http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
        • Carol
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
            Yes, I've been to Jim Bones' site, and I like it, but I find it hard to know
            how up to date the information about Mr. Fukuoka is. It says it's all
            copyright 1995 & 1996, so unless there are more recent parts of the site
            that I missed, it's hard to tell. I wrote to Jim Bones back in March, but I
            never got a reply. Maybe I should try again.

            Carol

          • Okinori Taniguchi
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
              >Hi, Christine, Carol & all ! I'm new too, so maybe I should introduce
              >myself also...
              >
              >My name is Okinori, and I live in Kyoto, Japan where I have
              >(unfortunately) no land to call my own or dirt to dig.

              I'm a researcher of the enviromental design and an enviromental
              designer-to-be, even I'm
              60 years old.

              Mr. Fukuoka has published a new book in Japanese, if I literally
              translate the title in English,
              it is " The Revolution of One Straw (General Compilation)- Traveling with
              Seed Balls."
              There are included many photos of his around the world with seed balls.
              The contents of it :
              http://www.infomadonna.ne.jp/~ham/book.htm

              http://www.infomadonna.ne.jp/~ham/tane_out4.htm

              /*-----------------------------------------------
              Okinori Taniguchi

              Environmental Design Department
              Osaka Sangyo University

              3-1-1 Nakagaito,Daitoshi,
              Osaka, Japan 574-8530
              http://www.edd.osaka-sandai.ac.jp/~o-tanig/indexe.html
              o-tanig@...-sandai.ac.jp
              tel: 81 720 75 3001 fax: 81 720 70 7857
              ---------------------------------------------------*/
            • Bargyla Rateaver
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2001
                again, SOIL is the answer, the clue.Why is it so hard for people to accept
                that?
                =====

                Carol wrote:

                > Hi, Christine! I'm new too, so maybe I should introduce myself also...
                >
                > My name is Carol, and I live in Santa Cruz, California, where I have
                > (unfortunately) no land to call my own or dirt to dig. I do, however, do
                > lots and lots of reading about organic gardening and related things in
                > preparation for the day when I do have a place to put my book-learnin to
                > some use. Topics I'm especially fond of include earthworms, heirloom
                > varieties, probiotics for plants, seedballs, and recently, cellulosic
                > ethanol.
                >
                > I also produce an agriculture/food radio program, so that keeps me in touch
                > with lots of interesting stuff. I'm hoping to do a show on Mr. Fukuoka
                > before the year is out.
                >
                > :)
                > Carol

                Bargyla Rateaver
                http://home.earthlink.net/~brateaver
              • Carol
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2001
                  Hi, Okinori :) and thanks for the links! It's good to hear that Mr.
                  Fukuoka is still around and still busy. What a guy!

                  Carol