RE: [fukuoka_farming] Ducks for the garden

  • jamie
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hello François, as Ute mentioned it is Indian Runner Ducks that have been
      used with some success. However, this success is only partial. It has been
      noted that they also eat vegetables although there is some discussion that
      this might be due to age: when young the ducks seek out protein (slugs) but
      as they achieve their mature size they turn to other foods (veg). I have not
      seen any practical work to back this interpretation yet, but believe it
      worth some investigation.

      HTH

      Jamie

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
        Dear All,

        There are chickens now that feed on pasture grass and
        vegetation. They also help iradicate insects and
        pests.

        They are delicious and healthier to eat when matured.

        Cheers,
        Sergio J. Montinola

        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        http://companion.yahoo.com/
      • Adam Carter
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
          Hello Sergio,

          > There are chickens now that feed on pasture grass and
          > vegetation. They also help iradicate insects and
          > pests.

          Do you mean that they don't need any grain? What type of chickens are
          these?

          Thanks,
          Adam.
        • Sergio Montinola
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
            Dear Adam,

            Yes, they do not beed on grain at all. Grasses and
            vegetation is all they feed on.

            In the Philippines, the chicks are available for $0.75
            US dollar per chick. Its called SASO bred and
            developed in France.

            They are hardy and can grow on a grass pasture. They
            are very healthy to eat and good tasting.

            Hope this will help you.

            Serge Montinola

            P.S. Go to the Internet and you will probably get more
            information.