Ducks for the garden

  • francois daoust
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
      Hi, i remember aproximatively 2 years ago earing about someone in the group
      having a duck that was a good slug eater. There was some good comments about
      this duck because he or she was not so attract by our vegetables. It's been
      a long time. If my memory is good it was in england and the duck was asian.
      I wonder if you are still in the group. Well i don't find the references in
      the archives. It sound verry intersting because where i live slugs are
      always in a great number and eat all the new plants especiallly legumes and
      lettuces. I am looking for something to balance my eco-systems.

      I would be interested to know if someone as knowledge about slug ducks.

      Thank you

      Fran�ois
      Ontario, Canada

    • Connie Kuramoto
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
        We got ducks to take care of our slugs, here in Coastal BC. We got two mallards and a muscovy. We often see them with slug slime on their beaks, although it is too soon to tell if they are doing any real good, the test will come next spring. I find it adventageous to feed them near slug infestations.
        Connie Kuramoto

        Hi, i remember aproximatively 2 years ago earing about someone in the group
        having a duck that was a good slug eater. There was some good comments about
        this duck because he or she was not so attract by our vegetables. It's been
        a long time. If my memory is good it was in england and the duck was asian.
        I wonder if you are still in the group. Well i don't find the references in
        the archives. It sound verry intersting because where i live slugs are
        always in a great number and eat all the new plants especiallly legumes and
        lettuces. I am looking for something to balance my eco-systems.

        I would be interested to know if someone as knowledge about slug ducks.

        Thank you

        François
        Ontario, Canada

      • Ute Bohnsack
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
          Hello Francois,
          You must be thinking of Indian runner ducks.
          Type ["Indian Runner Ducks" slugs] without the brackets into google
          and you'll be surprised.
          Khaki Campbells are also known as good slug eaters.

          Slán,
          Ute (Ireland)

          Saturday, November 29, 2003, 9:19:49 PM, you wrote:

          fd> Hi, i remember aproximatively 2 years ago earing about someone in the group
          fd> having a duck that was a good slug eater. There was some good comments about
          fd> this duck because he or she was not so attract by our vegetables. It's been
          fd> a long time. If my memory is good it was in england and the duck was asian.
          fd> I wonder if you are still in the group. Well i don't find the references in
          fd> the archives. It sound verry intersting because where i live slugs are
          fd> always in a great number and eat all the new plants especiallly legumes and
          fd> lettuces. I am looking for something to balance my eco-systems.

          fd> I would be interested to know if someone as knowledge about slug ducks.

          fd> Thank you

          fd> François
          fd> Ontario, Canada

          fd> _________________________________________________________________
          fd> Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online
          fd> http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

          fd> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        • jamie
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
            Hello François, as Ute mentioned it is Indian Runner Ducks that have been
            used with some success. However, this success is only partial. It has been
            noted that they also eat vegetables although there is some discussion that
            this might be due to age: when young the ducks seek out protein (slugs) but
            as they achieve their mature size they turn to other foods (veg). I have not
            seen any practical work to back this interpretation yet, but believe it
            worth some investigation.

            HTH

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
              Dear All,

              There are chickens now that feed on pasture grass and
              vegetation. They also help iradicate insects and
              pests.

              They are delicious and healthier to eat when matured.

              Cheers,
              Sergio J. Montinola

              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
              http://companion.yahoo.com/
            • Adam Carter
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
                Hello Sergio,

                > There are chickens now that feed on pasture grass and
                > vegetation. They also help iradicate insects and
                > pests.

                Do you mean that they don't need any grain? What type of chickens are
                these?

                Thanks,
                Adam.
              • Sergio Montinola
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Dear Adam,

                  Yes, they do not beed on grain at all. Grasses and
                  vegetation is all they feed on.

                  In the Philippines, the chicks are available for $0.75
                  US dollar per chick. Its called SASO bred and
                  developed in France.

                  They are hardy and can grow on a grass pasture. They
                  are very healthy to eat and good tasting.

                  Hope this will help you.

                  Serge Montinola

                  P.S. Go to the Internet and you will probably get more
                  information.