Re: [fukuoka_farming] One-Straw Revolution A Recapitulation book

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
      you will remember some phrases there about how Fukuoka felt he had
      wasted the knowledge that his revelation had given him because he had been
      so fixated on his ideas of natural farming that he'd not given adequate
      expression to the real revelation of that vision which had been god (I do
      not capitalise the word as it is essential not to suggest Fukuoka's god is
      necessarily the same god as the God of the 'Peoples of the Book').
      i have a copy of his first book written in the 40"s "the god's farming "
      it is a dialog between him and a wise men from the mountain ( imaginery i assumed )

      extracted from the editor"s note :
      <...it is not the accumulation of learnings and methods, it is an unlearning , a methodless- a submission of the human will to nature .>

      <there was never any doubt in fukuoka's mind that his way (or lack thereof) would succeed - not in the modern interpretation of the word succeedwhich is generally associated with ambitions exploitation, but the original meaning of theb word- to withdraw near . .
      from masanobu himself
      Before man attemps to know anything.
      before man attempts to seek anything.
      before man attempts to do anything.
      he should know why god ababdonned him .
      humanity knows not the true cause of devastation,
      nor seeks the way to its rebirth.
      not knowing what should be done ,
      man merely prides himself on the multitude of his deeds.

      Knowing not the ten thousand things
      Not one thing can be known.
      Unable to know one thing ,
      the ten thousands things go unknown
      the ten-thousands things converge into one .
      one thing covers ten thousands .

      that is my favorite of his writting as he doesn't waste time about the details of farming .
      jean-claude

    • jamie
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
        Thanks Jean-Claude, Fukuoka questions why he bothers to write yet he has a
        canny ability to express himself.

        Unlearning, methodlessness yes, but I know I am stuck on the last:
        submission of the human will to nature! Ultimately, I don't know if I can do
        without human culture; modern art, John Cage, Jacques Derrida...these things
        that are often in flagrant reaction to nature and the natural.

        It is not enough to like the idea of Fukuoka or natural farming, it is also
        necessary to live it in everything you do and, as yet, and for the
        foreseeable future, I do not live like this.

        I often think that our greatest respect is for the people we are not.

        Jamie
        Souscayrous

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
          Hello Michiyo, well if Fukuoka-san has seen the video I think we'd all
          appreciate his ideas. A Japanese friend of Mark Cain (who was an old pupil
          of Emilia's Synergistic Gardening), said, knowing Fukuoka, that she thought
          he probably wouldn't agree with Emilia, but who knows?

          Emilia never went to Japan, she met Fukuoka when he was in Europe somewhere
          but I don't remember when or where. It was only a brief meeting. Does
          Fukuoka-san remember her I wonder.

          It's very strange to finally be imagining as I write these words
          Fukuoka-san's response to some of these questions, it's wonderful that
          through you and Honma-san we are closer to him and may yet have some form of
          communication with him through these emails, however indirect.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
            Unlearning, methodlessness yes, but I know I am stuck on the last:
            submission of the human will to nature! Ultimately, I don't know if I can do
            without human culture; modern art, John Cage, Jacques Derrida...these things
            that are often in flagrant reaction to nature and the natural.

            humans have needs as any other organisms . as a social organism they have specific needs in that aera beyond shelter and foods...
            nature necessarelly provide for thoses needs ( overwise they will not exist ). peoples have cut themselves from the natural satisfaction of those needs and have created strategies to try to meet them any way .
            because we don't know what those needs are we confuse the strategies and the needs behind .
            when you are clear you need intimacy for exemple you might find it in ways you didn't imagine when your favor strategy was to look for sex .
            so modern art ,john cage , jacques derrida are satisfying fondamentals needs for you . what are they ? could you imagine satysfying them naturally without the help of artifices ? could you hear the frog song as the sweetest of all melodies ?
            jean-claude

          • jamie
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 18, 2003
              Hello Jean-Claude, you write: "nature necessarelly provide for thoses
              needs ( overwise they will not exist ). peoples have cut themselves from the
              natural satisfaction of those needs and have created strategies to try to
              meet them any way ."

              Just as with what we eat, nature provides what we need. The idea of the
              seperation of man and nature has never appealed to me although it is clearly
              prevalent in our culture. Humans are part of nature not some appendage stuck
              on artificially. Our intellect may desire autonomy but our bodies are tied
              inexorably to the earth.

              Yet, I still want to acknowledge the depth of these artificial sounds, words
              and objects. They make a claim on us because they reveal the world afresh -
              how is it that we know the meaning of music and yet there are no words used?
              How can John Cages 4'37" (which is 4'37" of silence) create an answering
              response?

              I am not deaf to the natural world - only yesterday the ruisseau below
              Souscayrous was finally flowing again, and the sound of the water was
              profoundly moving. Even the accompaniment of birds or insects has an effect
              whether consciously acknowledged or not.

              You write: "so modern art ,john cage , jacques derrida are satisfying
              fondamentals needs for you . what are they ? could you imagine satysfying
              them naturally without the help of artifices ? could you hear the frog song
              as the sweetest of all melodies ?"

              My answer would have to be no. I do not believe that Philip Glass, John
              Taverner, Steve Reich can be found in nature, however much I experience
              beauty there. Humans are of the natural world but they are also able to
              create their own meaning expressed in the very best of art (and I believe
              what I am after is expressed only rarely, most being simply pleasant and
              distracting melodies).

              I resist total submission to nature because that submission will never be to
              nature itself but an idea we have of nature. Just as Feuerbach proposed
              about our commitment to religion, I believe we can make a religion out of
              nature and bundle all of our best qualities into nature and thereby isolate
              them from ourselves, rather than recognising that those best qualities are
              ours. Nature is a mirror from which we read back to ourselves our own
              obsessions and observations. I do not know that we can ever really look at
              nature and see nature, however much we might wish for it.

              Jamie
              Souscayrous

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 18, 2003
                . The idea of the
                seperation of man and nature has never appealed to me although it is clearly
                prevalent in our culture. Humans are part of nature not some appendage stuck
                on artificially. Our intellect may desire autonomy but our bodies are tied
                inexorably to the earth.
                you are right humans can't separate themselves from nature but it is a wish dreamed that manifest in the quest of artificial means to satisfy fondamental needs . that is the spinning out off center ,where you don't go anywhere but you dream you do .
                jean-claude

              • jamie
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003
                  Hello Jean-Claude, you write: "you are right humans can't separate
                  themselves from nature but it is a wish dreamed that manifest in the quest
                  of artificial means to satisfy fondamental needs"

                  I think I understand you here: so many people rushing around looking to fill
                  their lack, they try everything other than what is right there before them,
                  supplied by nature. But can there be a human need that is not fulfilled by
                  the natural world but only by the human world of civilized culture?

                  There are people who would find their lives immeasureably shrunken if all
                  art, literature and music were taken from their lives. I know you and
                  Fukuoka would respond by saying these are the people lost to the truth of
                  nature, taken up by the artificial world of 'civilized' humankind, but I do
                  not feel the same emotions when I hear the song of the frogs as I do when I
                  hear Wagner (they can be equally as noisy!); to look at the poplars invading
                  and replenishing the soils below Souscayrous is not the same as to look on
                  Van Gogh's 'Allee des Alyscamps'.

                  I do understand your point but do not yet feel it, perhaps because I'm still
                  firmly settled in my culture, but there is perhaps also the possibility that
                  the very best art draws the truth from the deep well of being and we should
                  leave ourselves open to this call.

                  Jamie
                  Souscayrous

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 22, 2004
                    Hello:
                    I have been telling the story of the RECAPITULATION book to people and
                    it seems there is a need. Is it possible to get 50 copies of the book
                    for use in a class? I would prefer to buy the books but, if necessary,
                    I can offer to license the reprinting of the book for the US so that
                    the Japan side does not have to do so. I produce small printings of
                    some hard to get books, mostly for my use but anyone is welcome to buy
                    them. I sell for cost as it is not my business, only my avocation. I
                    have licensed and printed some rare Japanese titles that I find in the
                    Tokyo bookshops.
                    - michael
                  • Sergio Montinola
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                      Dear Michael,

                      I am interested to buy a copy of the Recapitulation
                      book. Please let me know. Thanks,

                      Sergio J. Montinola

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html