Carpet Composting

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2003
      Hi Les and Everybody,

      Biocomposable carpets made of sisal, coir, hemp, jute, seagrass, mountain grass, and bamboo are readily available but they don't come cheap. Even their vendors admit that they can be "beautiful but expensive" (see http://www.naturalarearugs.com .) If I could afford 'em I might try 'em. Rugs are indeed supportative environments for all sorts of interesting microbial life and they just might speed up the process of soilmaking. But at X dollars per foot (I'm afraid to even look at the price) I think they're out of my range.

      Bob Monie--south Louisiana

    • les landeck
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2003
        Hi Robert,
        at this point new carpet materials are not cost
        effective but hotels throw out use seagrass carpets, i
        just haven't found any place using them. most of these
        will most likely break down in four to six months. so
        for those who are open to trying this try the used
        office type carpet. if some of you test this, we could
        go to step two how to work with it than step three
        based on what we learn at what cost would be except
        able if it did everything carpet does yet with a
        better eco construction.

        thanks for the reply Robert, Les

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree