third of three thoughts

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2003
      Hello again,

      The third thought relates to diet. A few months ago there was an active
      thread here about diets, and I would like to pass on some practical
      experience and understanding I've gained of late on the subject.

      A little more than three years ago I was diagnosed as a diabetic. During
      those three years I have taken some steps to improve my health and deal with
      the problems induced by diabetes, but it is only in the last few months that
      I have been able to make what I consider is remarkable progress in reducing
      the problems. I did this by a combination of exercise and changes to my
      diet. The changes to my diet were to simply reduce the total number of grams
      of carbohydrates I ate each day. I used to take a lot of medication to try
      reducing my blood sugar levels to the generally accepted range, and while I
      was able to reduce the levels from what they were I was still too high. With
      the combination of diet and exercise I was able to reduce the levels until
      they are now in the high end of the acceptable range, and reduce the amount
      of medication I was taking by more than 65%. It may be possible to eliminate
      the medication completely and stay withing the acceptable range in the near
      future. Oh yeah, my chloresterol levels, and all other blood chemistry is
      looking great.

      The key was reduced carbohydrate intake. No breads, cereals, grains, fruits,
      sugars, etc. Also no counting calories or worrying about how much fat was in
      what I was eating. Turns out that diet is just about the same thing we
      humans used to eat before the development of grains and cereals. Also turns
      out that obesity and heart diseases can be directly attributed to the
      consumption of carbs/development of grain/cereal agriculture.

      So maybe to get back to a "natural diet" using "natural farming/gardening"
      means not raising the rice/barley crops Fukuoka is so famous for. Maybe the
      emphasis should be on the greens, herbs, vegetables, wild or domesticated,
      and not on grains, cereals, fruits.

      Just a few thoughts.
      Larry Haftl
      larry@...