First of three thoughts

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2003
      Hello all,

      Wanted to share three thoughts with you.

      The first came from reading an article about backyard gardens in "Better
      Homes and Gardens". The article was about creating an English Cottage Garden
      in your backyard, told in the first person, where the author ended the
      article by saying, "... the satisfaction that comes from looking out on your
      garden and knowing it is something that you created, not nature."

      I suspect that many of you on this list had a similar reaction to that
      statement that I did... sadness over the obvious complete disconnect it
      demonstrates. Better Homes & Gardens is a widely distributed magazine (more
      than a million subscribers I believe), and recognized as an authority in the
      field of home decoration and gardening. That its editors would allow such a
      statement to be made indicates the disconnect includes them as well.

      Fukuoka may, or may not, have developed a practical, working method of
      farming. As Robert Monie just pointed out there are very, very few examples
      of working farms using Fukuoka's methods, and that is not because a
      description of how to use the method has been unavailable, or because the
      method is so new, or because the method only works in a very specific
      ecosystem growing only a very specific crop rotation. But even though
      working examples of using Fukuoka's method (or Emilia Hazelip's for that
      matter) are so few and far between, I believe it is very important to try to
      understand what they are saying, to try to implement what they are
      suggesting, and to learn from first-hand experience what they are promoting.
      Important because we live in a human-centric world that continuously, as
      that article demonstrates, emphasizes the falseness of human domination over
      natural processes, of the ridiculous idea that humans actually create living
      plants, that humans are apart from and above nature and natural processes.

      I, and many others, may never be successful in fully implementing a Fukuoka
      or Hazelip method of gardening, but simply by reading what they have
      written, listening to what they have said, and experiencing what they are
      talking about we are forced to look more openly at the natural world around
      us and our relationship to/with/in it. And if all that ever grows from this
      is an improvement in our understanding of where we fit into the universe
      then I'd say their methods were extremely userul/productive/successful.

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://LarryHaftl.com
      http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net