Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Wei-Wu-Wei.....and an FYI

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 55 , Nov 9, 2003
      Hi Gloria and All,

      Regarding the gift book list, I would recommend the other 2 Fukuoka books that have been translated into English and are now available at moderate prices in the "Indian" editions. For the practical-minded who just want to see something grow (a noble goal in itself), the two Rodale books by Patrice Lanza on mulch layering (sheet mulching) would be helpful: "Lasagna Gardening" and "Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces," both readily available from amazon.com and other mass retailers. Lanza has another book on the way called "Lasagna Gardening for Herbs," due out in 2004.

      A bit more philosophical and involved is Toby Hemenway's "Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Homescale Permaculture." Hemenway's preference for sheet mulching over composting and his attention to "plant guilds," both natural and human-made, alone make his book worth reading. His attempt to present a book on how to relocate permaculture from its Australian birthplace to American soil remains, so far as I know, unequalled. Certainly others should follow where he left off.

      For the still more scientifically and academically inclined, there is the new (and expensive) 820-page textbook, "Natural Agriculture" by biochemist and college professor Raymond Poincelot. (2003, Prentice-Hall). Poincelot adopts a severely critical "show me--let me measure it" attitude to all claims for sustainable agriculture. He wants thrifty use of water, renewal of topsoil, minimum use of fertilizer and pesticide, but insists at the same time on high yields. For Poincelot, the purpose of farming is not to grow people with good character (as it is in Fukuoka's famous dictum) but to grow food. No food, no farming, says Poincelot. I am working my way through the book and will provide a comprehensive review of it for this group at least by January.

      I still like the quiet, unassuming little book by Lee Reich, "Weedless Gardening" as an informed, conventional scientist/gardener's attempt to use some of the no-till and mulch approaches inspired by Fukuoka. Reich's method of putting down a layer of paper and manuring over it with soybean meal to start a new garden has worked like a charm for me--much better than the old days of "double digging" and raised bed organic growing. Granted, Reich only goes part of the way towards Fukuoka, but part is better than none, and Reich's book (along with the Lazana books) is useful for beginners.

      We should be grateful that two major principles suggested by Fukuoka--no-till and deep mulching with cover crops--have been adopted by several commercial farms in the US
      with considerable success. Steve Groff's Ceder Meadows Farm is an example, and I recommend Steve's Video "No-Till Vegetables: A Sustainable Way to Increase Profits, Save Our Soil, and Reduce Pesticides" for any holiday gift list. See Steve's website:
      http://www.cedarmeadowsfarm.com/video.html .

      My present evaluation of Fukuoka Farming is that it remains an ideal that has piqued the attention of many but in practice has largely remained unattainable. Meditation in the garden, back yard, forest and meadow is a noble practice exemplified in the works, for example, of William Wordsworth, Andrew Marvell and Henry Thoreau. All three would agree that contemplating Nature can make one a better person, but none of the three would confuse such contemplation with farming. Farming must be not contemplation but growing enough to feed people; what else could it be? An electrical engineer who honestly reported personal moral improvement and philosophical enlightenment from contemplating the wonders of electricity would not be counted much of an engineer if he (she) could not get the signals to transmit. Similarly, farmers who cannot grow things are not farmers; they are mystics, philosophers, writers, poets, or something else.

      The lessons learned from mysticism, philosophy, literature, poetry, religion and other modes of awareness and being might be applicable to farming or they might not be. For them to be useful, they have to translate into something that cuts across individual perception. If my mystical neighbor tells me that certain grow for him because Nature has singled him out for secret revelations, that doesn't add up to much for me, if I don't hear Nature talking the way he (she) does.

      To me, the essence of civilization is shared ideas, shared approachs, techniques, understanding, and expectation--something similar to what experiemental science calls "Repeatability." My Polaris solar light works for me just as well as neighbor Jones' works for him. It doesn't require any mumbo jumbo to make it turn the photons into electricity, store the energy in the nickle-hydride batteries, and pump them out on demand to the florescent lamp and make it glow. The device is wonderfully "repeatable." It will do its thing submerged in a well, locked in a cave or coal mine, by the swimming pool in the backyard, or on the top of the highest, snow-covered peak.

      Judged by this standard of "repeatability," the Fukuoka farming model doesn't seem to work. Fukuoka has travelled the world, yet it is hard to find a true "Fukuoka Farm" anywhere that is flourishing. The farms that are flourishing might better be called "Fusion" farms in the same sense that restaurants that combine different culinary styles (for example Japanese and Italian or Vietnamese and French) are called "fusion" restaurants that produce "fusion" cusine. I emphatically do not mean to conjure up the New Arge fraud of "cold fusion" or anything like it here. Fusion is synomymous with "intelligent, successful BLENDing of elements from different cultures, places, and times to meet the needs of other cultures, places, and times."

      I have been trying out some such blends or fusions which are heretical from the point of view of their sources and origins but might be more "reproducible" than following Fukuoka's advice directly. Everyone probably has to do this if they hope to approach the ideal of good yields and sustainability. An example: it is possible to combine some techniques of aeroponics with no-till sheet mulching. I have started little plots of such garden near New Orleans, San Jose (CA) and Berkeley (CA) with good success. I begin with layers of soybean meal, kudzu meal, and rice hulls. I plant seeds, plugs or larger nursery plants along with cover crops (white clover, soy, buckwheat, rye) and use very small amounts of aeroponics products (ODC and Beyond) to inhibit fungal infections and provide low-level availbality of at least 15 plant nutrients. The yields from such an approach are good and have been nearly identical in all three locations. Microbial activity and worm activity in the soil are
      good. Is this chemical farming, organic farming, natural farming, or what?

      As a aside, I notice that the Amish supply company, Lehman's (One Lehman Circle, P.O. Box 41, Kidron, Ohio 44636) is carrying the Polaris Solar Lantern (for only $89.95--at least $30 less than Real Goods sells it for). The Amish used to be considered "anti-electric" and anti-technology but now they are entering a possible age of Amish Fusion. The Lehman catalog (page 37), in advertising the fascinating Staber washing machine
      (which can run on a 12 volt battery) that "here at Lehman's we aren't really anti-technology. We are all about self-sufficency and caring for our environment."

      Will the Amish become leaders in the coming solar energy/hydrogen economy? Will they begin to rely less on horse manure and more on some fusion method of farming?

      Let's stay turned and see.

      Best wishes to Larry on his move to Abe Lincoln's state!

      Bob Monie- south Lousiana

      "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:
      Jamie.....I don't know if the Old Guard has moved off.....or is just
      busy with other things at the moment. I have noticed that all of my
      list groups are a bit slow in the last few weeks. I am not certain
      why.

      I have started a thread in a new feature on GardeningOrganically that
      I call Garden Talk on the various gardening/farming methodology. The
      first one offered is on Fukuoka......Natural Farming/Gardening.
      Because we are using Larry's website for the key information for this
      thread we are going to turn to Emilia's Synergistic Gardening next.
      I mention this because it may be one....or more.....never know in
      these things.....may turn up here. I am hoping to at least challenge
      the members there to look into more than just converting their,
      perhaps, formerly chemical gardens to just using organic amendments
      without changing the way they garden. We will also include
      Permaculture in this thread before we are done.

      I have found new members a bit hungry for information on at least
      Permaculture when they join. Permaculture has a better Public
      Relations agent I guess.

      I am going to also do a recommended reading list at some point in
      this thread. Does anyone have a list of books....or even just one
      book that they would recommend beyond, "One Straw Revolution," for
      these folks to put on their gift lists? I have had a few ask for
      suggested books.....including a request for a book on how weeds
      benefit the soil/garden. I sent them to Journeytoforever for the
      online book there on that subject because I couldn't remember the
      name and author of the book I have continually put off buying.

      Emilia used to help me a bit....and Larry, too....in trying to bring
      information to this group of people. That was before I became its
      owner a few months ago. When my computer crashed last year I lost
      most of the personal notes Emilia sent to me....which is really sad
      because they were full of so much information....besides the personal
      loss.

      Napi.....when you see these threads hit the group.....will you please
      offer your experiences with them? I can use all the help I can get.

      Thanks,
      Gloria

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • michael
      Message 55 of 55 , Nov 18, 2003
        Wordy! How many cups of caffeine do you fellows drink before you write
        this?

        Fukuoka's 'method' was never intended for commercial agriculture, in
        the American use of the phrase.