RE: [fukuoka_farming] naturally big

  • jamie
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2003
      Hello Xavier, the use of self-seeding vegetables makes agricultural life
      very easy - as Fukuoka notes, potatoes are vigorous enough to see off most
      other plants and will soon spread. I guess in Norway as long as the potatoes
      are away from air contact they should not be destroyed if the snow cover
      insulates the ground. Here in France I'm watching some potatoes I've left
      under mulch shoot up, unfortunately, unless we have only light frosts this
      winter (just dipping below freezing) they'll not produce a crop before dying
      off - they lasted well into December last year.

      I'm still not getting volunteer tomatoes even though i leave many tomatoes
      to fall to the ground, any ideas on how to get them to volunteer, or does
      some frost kill the seeds?

      Jamie
      Souscayrous

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2003
        Tomato seeds tolerate well frost, and I guess hard frost ( below -15)
        like we can get here.
        Their germination hability is very much increased by a travel through
        our digestive system.

        The most spontaneous germination of tomato I recall is from the toilet
        compost....
        And then what an explosion.

        Otherwise tomatoes do resseed well, but depending of your climate, it
        can be too late in the season to be able to produce mature fruits
        before the next winter. This is my experience.
        May be it will work in the south of France

        peace

        Xavier