Re: [fukuoka_farming] Wei-Wu-Wei

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 55 , Nov 8, 2003
      Jamie,
      Thank you for the link
      <http://sino-sv3.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/FULLTEXT/JR-PHIL/loy3.htm> & the
      detailed example of rotation intercropping.
      Regarding the caution below...:
      > I would also ask that you be very clear when
      > discussing Emilia's Synergistic
      > Gardening that you avoid labelling her organic, she
      > wasn't and wouldn't
      > thank you for suggesting she was. She was passionate
      > in her beliefs and
      > spent much time fighting Permaculture and
      > Biodynamics on their reliance upon
      > organic agriculture.
      >
      > If I seem overly proscriptive I am sorry, I don't
      > mean to discourage,
      > however, Fukuoka is misunderstood on almost all
      > sides and at least here, on
      > an email group dedicated to his work, he should at
      > least be listened to in
      > his own words.
      ...you have identified a much needed chart for carrying to those whose steps
      wander toward Fukuoka, & who are presently in a maze, such as some who are on
      the Organic Gardening newsgroup. What is a bridge-building definition of what
      is so harmful about the beloved term organic, that could be used to cross many
      gaps?

      Our school makes much kitchen scrap, which we call compost even as soon as
      the apple core goes into the 'pompos' bowl on the counter. Part of our life
      cycle is simply to scatter matter where it does good, which is not the landfill,
      but raw on the 'garden', our wildly jungle-thick overgrown berm, where we do
      still have tomatoes ripening, although they are hard to find in there. The berm
      itself was not born of an effort to make a raised bed, an artificial ground to
      garden, but was a free source of chipped wood with which to 'build' a divider
      between the playground & alley. Since it becomes rich woody-mycorrhiza-filled
      earth, it becomes a planting place; since it is planted without tilling,
      processed compost, pesticide or herbicide, now can it be seen as an organic site
      where Fukuokan gardening is being studied?

      What thought-filled posts to begin a Saturday morning. Looking forward to
      carefully reading each of them, anticipation for it all day in the background of
      a constantly-busy-without-being-hectic Friday night campover for a Saturday
      drumming class of 12 children, ages 5 - 12 years, maybe get back to reading all
      it after tonight's school family telescope outing to see the eclipse & Harmonic
      Concordance of the Sun, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and the planetoid Chiron,
      all positioning themselves to form the grand sextile pattern, a six-pointed
      star. Children, drumming, reading, star-gazing, what an autumn leaf-colored
      Wei-Wu-Wei day.

      jamie wrote:

      > Hello everyone, it seems the old guard of this list have moved off to other
      > things, new inspiration perhaps, new trials, new lives...and here I am
      > continuing ever deeper into the forest along the path Fukuoka developed,
      > still hoping to encounter the clearing in which I too can become
      > enlightened...
      >
      > So, to the ever growing and ever more silent memebers of this list, I offer
      > you this excellent introduction into Fukuoka's 'Do-Nothing'(Buddhist
      > Wei-Wu-Wei), that you might also discover the rewards of the path and join
      > me where ever it might lead...I include it entire because the web link
      > http://sino-sv3.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/FULLTEXT/JR-PHIL/loy3.htm is somewhat
      > temperamental (although if you get access you'll discover much of interest
      > for where East meets West if you can get to the parent directory)
      >
      > Jamie
      > Souscayrous
      >

      > "Wei-wu-wei: Nondual action" by David Loy philosophy east and west vol. 35,
      > no. 1(January 1985)
      >
      > Wei-wu-wei, "the action of nonaction, "

    • michael
      Message 55 of 55 , Nov 18, 2003
        Wordy! How many cups of caffeine do you fellows drink before you write
        this?

        Fukuoka's 'method' was never intended for commercial agriculture, in
        the American use of the phrase.