(Fwd) Now a few words from Masanobu Fukuoka

  • Rex Teague
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2002
      Another one fom BDnow

      Date sent: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:24:26 -0500
      To: bdnow@...
      From: bdnow <bdnow@...>
      Subject: Now a few words from Masanobu Fukuoka
      Send reply to: bdnow@...

      Billions of years passed after the dawn of creation. Bacteria arose on
      the earth's surface, then vegetation flourished, and animals and man
      emerged. All arose and developed naturally. All things in the universe
      undergo constant change together; there are no exceptions.
      Believing himself to be the crowning achievement of God-made in
      God's own image, mankind set about to fashion the future with his
      own hands. But millions of years ago, the monkey who, by such
      reasoning, was the most advanced and highly evolved of the
      organisms on earth never claimed to be the lord of creation or made
      in the image of God. It simply lived in nature and didn't worry a bit.
      Only man today wonders what he should eat and how to live; only he
      frets over tomorrow. We should be concerned first with why, living as
      we do in nature, we are so reluctant to entrust our future to God.

      Clever man does not know life; he agonizes over death and asks,
      "What should I eat?" I generally do not know what word to use when
      I talk of human life, just as I have difficulty expressing the notion of
      death. Whenever I try to say what one must live by, or, stepping
      back a little, when I try to explain in concrete terms what food to live
      on, I always fear being understood in a narrow, limited sense and
      forced to give an explanation that can only be specious. This is why
      the only explanation possible is to say that all one has to do is to live.
      Pressed further, all I can do is explain as well as possible what manner
      of living is true to man by resorting to some vague, abstract analogy:
      "The sparrows live by picking at the seeds in the grass growing over
      there. All man ever had to do himself was simply to live." That is
      about the only explanation I can give.

      People stumble right from the start by asking themselves what they
      should be eating. They turn inquiring eyes to the form, quality, and
      value of food, wondering what they should reach for first and what is
      important. Gradually, a few specific foods are selected as necessary
      for man from the large number present in nature, and the rest are
      cast aside. This thinking grows even worse, culminating eventually in
      the conviction that there is no harm in growing and eating whatever
      one likes.

      First there is nature and there is food, and in the midst of this
      lives man. That was the original state of the world. But the moment
      that people hearken to the view that first there is man and he
      produces the crops of his choosing, humanity is transformed into an
      arrogant lord who commands nature.

      Man believes that he has spared and made wise use of nature. He
      thinks that human intelligence is superior to the wisdom of nature and
      God. But although humanity can learn from nature, it is not able to
      control or guide nature. One could say that nature bears the wisdom
      of God.

      It has taken nature five billion years to create plants, animals, and
      man. How can scientists hope to know what organisms to create to
      supercede man? Man shouldered the hardships of growing crops from
      the moment that he began to think he could grow food for himself
      with human knowledge. He has become an animal that can survive
      only by processing and cooking the food that he eats. It is like spitting
      up at the heavens. These efforts have had the effect of destroying
      nature and ravaging mankind.

      Of course, I have no intention of saying simply to stop processing and
      cooking food. It is just that I am worried over the process whereby
      precious food is transformed by false human knowledge into evil
      food, degrading and corrupting humanity. Human knowledge has
      passed beyond the bounds of naturally derived knowledge. I reject
      human knowledge that deviates from the wisdom of God. I am afraid
      that mankind may refuse to live in an inhabitable nature and may cut
      himself off from the future with his arrogant intellect.

      Creation is like a magnificent orchestra playing the symphony of
      nature. Humanity should have been content as one member of that
      orchestra. Bored with just watching the natural drama about him,
      mankind has been drawn toward a stage where he can play a one-
      man show. Well, by tracing the effects that his disregard for nature
      and the progress made in the foods that he promoted have had on
      his own destiny, we get a good idea of where exactly this absurd
      struggle leads. Wild, primitive wheat arose on the Mesopotamian
      plains in the Middle East. Wild rice is said to have originated in
      southern China, Burma, and remote parts of Assam. Rice also
      reportedly existed since antiquity in the Saharan region of Africa.
      Ancient man who settled in these three great birthplaces of grain
      began cultivating the wild rice and wheat that grew there, in this way
      coming by an abundance of food. It was here that the
      Mesopotamian, Chinese, and Egyptian civilizations were built up. But
      today, each of these regions has been totally transformed to desert.
      All that remains are vast, desolate ruins. Why should this be?

      I strongly doubt that this was the result of changes in climate and
      desertification that created food shortages, scattered people and
      destroyed civilizations. What actually happened was that trees were
      cut down in the name of civilization. Advances were made in farming
      methods and slashand-burn agriculture adopted. All this depleted the
      soil, causing a decline in vegetation and setting the process of
      desertification into motion.

      Up until about twenty years ago, I was optimistic. Even as recently as
      ten years ago, I thought that if our supply of energy runs out,
      mankind will be able to get by if only he is willing to practice natural
      farming. But lately, I realize all too well just how wishful such hopes
      have been. Human intelligence has overdeveloped and become
      sidetracked. Today, man has metamorphosed into a creature that
      can remain unconcerned even if it loses sight of and destroys nature
      and God. It is fair to say that man's excessive confidence in his own
      intelligence has caused him to lose sight of, or rather to destroy, true
      nature and true food, true life, true God, even the true image of man
      himself.

      With nature ruined, true nature is nowhere to be found anymore.
      Food worthy of being called the staff of life can no longer be had.
      There just are no natural children around any longer who live
      according to their instincts. It looks to me as if natural people, natural
      farming, and natural diet are all receding and vanishing at an
      accelerating speed.

      From "The Road Back to Nature"