Re: forest fires

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Robin, Maya, or Napi"
      <seafloorgarden@g...> wrote:
      > Thanks, pavle. A lot of research there. N.

      Those smoke clouds are over Texas now. We have a strong south wind
      blowing. That will probably carry them north.

      My keyboard broke down.....felt like my mouth.....errrrr.....my
      fingers.....were taped over to gag me. New keyboard....gags off
      now.

      Anyone having an unusual autumn.....or spring? It is obviously
      November, but I am still in shorts here in NCentral Texas. Not
      complaining mind you! I would love to find myself in a warmer
      climate zone so I could try new plants here. Of course, it could
      also meaning saying good bye to old friends.

      Jamie.....glad to see you back and posting!
      Gloria
    • OneSpirit - Autumn Joy
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
        Pavle, thank you so much for the link you sent. For some reason, I was unable to get your email to be accessible to me; I wanted to reply off list. ~Autumn
        Together we are healing the world...One heart at a time.

      • Xavier Dequaire
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2003
          I do not know if the following experience is reproductible, but it
          stroke me.

          Last year some potato must have been forgotten in the soil, this winter
          was not to hard (I live in Norway), snow was early protecting soil for
          hard frost.

          This year I have been growing potatoes, and the very best harvest was
          from that one potato forgotten from last on a spot I did not touch at
          all.

          I wonder why I would bother growing any thing...

          any comment?

          Xavier
        • jamie
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2003
            Hello Xavier, the use of self-seeding vegetables makes agricultural life
            very easy - as Fukuoka notes, potatoes are vigorous enough to see off most
            other plants and will soon spread. I guess in Norway as long as the potatoes
            are away from air contact they should not be destroyed if the snow cover
            insulates the ground. Here in France I'm watching some potatoes I've left
            under mulch shoot up, unfortunately, unless we have only light frosts this
            winter (just dipping below freezing) they'll not produce a crop before dying
            off - they lasted well into December last year.

            I'm still not getting volunteer tomatoes even though i leave many tomatoes
            to fall to the ground, any ideas on how to get them to volunteer, or does
            some frost kill the seeds?

            Jamie
            Souscayrous

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2003
              Tomato seeds tolerate well frost, and I guess hard frost ( below -15)
              like we can get here.
              Their germination hability is very much increased by a travel through
              our digestive system.

              The most spontaneous germination of tomato I recall is from the toilet
              compost....
              And then what an explosion.

              Otherwise tomatoes do resseed well, but depending of your climate, it
              can be too late in the season to be able to produce mature fruits
              before the next winter. This is my experience.
              May be it will work in the south of France

              peace

              Xavier