Re: golden seal

  • pollywog
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2003
      ---Hello Lucia!

      I don't know if you are looking to grow it in a garden type plot, or
      to repopulate an area of risk, or what, but here goes:

      Goldenseal grows in the areas also condusive to good ginseng plants-
      60-70% shade, in a hardwood forest, light leaf mulch, moist, but not
      soggy ground with good drainage. Just as with ginseng, it can get a
      problem with disease, so planting in small, seperate plots is best.

      There seems to be mixed results with domestic style growing, but it
      has been done. Myself, I like to wildgarden it.

      I usually like to use root or crowns, basically replanting them while
      harvesting. Use sections with a bud or two, a couple of inches long.
      Just put them back in the ground, about 1-1/2-2" below level. Cover,
      mulch.

      I cannot find my stuff on seed propagation! ARGH! Bet it's in the
      other puter, or in one of my journals. Ya know, journals are only
      worth a darn if you have them available to reference. <G> Same with
      info on old puters. Will see if I can locate it for you.

      Are you using wildcrafted sections? Buying it?

      This year, I am experimenting with trying to sprout ginseng in one of
      the garden plots, with only the leaf mulch. Breaking all the "rules",
      i know, but it might work. Gotta give it a shot! If it's possible to
      wildgarden some transplants- a careful undertaking, without a doubt!-
      it might really help get it back in the area, and keep it away from
      the herb-of-the-hour bums. <G> deb

      In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Lucia Ruedenberg Wright
      <lucia@l...> wrote:
      > I'm interested in learning more about growing golden seal. does anyone
      > here know about this?
      >
      > lucia
    • Lucia Ruedenberg Wright
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2003
        hi Deb - thank you for sharing your thoughts on growing goldenseal with
        me. I will need to find some starter roots. I don't have any at all at
        this point would like to try. I think my woods would support it. they are
        mostly maple, on the slope of a gentle mountain side. appears to be good
        drainage.

        Lucia