golden seal

  • Lucia Ruedenberg Wright
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2003
      I'm interested in learning more about growing golden seal. does anyone
      here know about this?

      lucia
    • pollywog
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 2003
        ---Hello Lucia!

        I don't know if you are looking to grow it in a garden type plot, or
        to repopulate an area of risk, or what, but here goes:

        Goldenseal grows in the areas also condusive to good ginseng plants-
        60-70% shade, in a hardwood forest, light leaf mulch, moist, but not
        soggy ground with good drainage. Just as with ginseng, it can get a
        problem with disease, so planting in small, seperate plots is best.

        There seems to be mixed results with domestic style growing, but it
        has been done. Myself, I like to wildgarden it.

        I usually like to use root or crowns, basically replanting them while
        harvesting. Use sections with a bud or two, a couple of inches long.
        Just put them back in the ground, about 1-1/2-2" below level. Cover,
        mulch.

        I cannot find my stuff on seed propagation! ARGH! Bet it's in the
        other puter, or in one of my journals. Ya know, journals are only
        worth a darn if you have them available to reference. <G> Same with
        info on old puters. Will see if I can locate it for you.

        Are you using wildcrafted sections? Buying it?

        This year, I am experimenting with trying to sprout ginseng in one of
        the garden plots, with only the leaf mulch. Breaking all the "rules",
        i know, but it might work. Gotta give it a shot! If it's possible to
        wildgarden some transplants- a careful undertaking, without a doubt!-
        it might really help get it back in the area, and keep it away from
        the herb-of-the-hour bums. <G> deb

        In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Lucia Ruedenberg Wright
        <lucia@l...> wrote:
        > I'm interested in learning more about growing golden seal. does anyone
        > here know about this?
        >
        > lucia
      • Lucia Ruedenberg Wright
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2003
          hi Deb - thank you for sharing your thoughts on growing goldenseal with
          me. I will need to find some starter roots. I don't have any at all at
          this point would like to try. I think my woods would support it. they are
          mostly maple, on the slope of a gentle mountain side. appears to be good
          drainage.

          Lucia