Fwd: New material to make cds and dvds out of!

  • Gloria Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2003
      http://optics.org/articles/news/9/10/6/1

      Seems they will be biodegradable now.

      Gloria, Texas

    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2003
        > http://optics.org/articles/news/9/10/6/1
        >
        > Seems they will be biodegradable now.

        Hmmm... talk about mixed emotions... great to hear the discs can now degrade
        like normal vegetive matter, until I think about using them to archive data
        and software... Hmmmm.....

        Larry Haftl
        larry@...
        http://LarryHaftl.com
        http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net
      • Lucia Ruedenberg Wright
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2003
          I'm interested in learning more about growing golden seal. does anyone
          here know about this?

          lucia
        • pollywog
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 15, 2003
            ---Hello Lucia!

            I don't know if you are looking to grow it in a garden type plot, or
            to repopulate an area of risk, or what, but here goes:

            Goldenseal grows in the areas also condusive to good ginseng plants-
            60-70% shade, in a hardwood forest, light leaf mulch, moist, but not
            soggy ground with good drainage. Just as with ginseng, it can get a
            problem with disease, so planting in small, seperate plots is best.

            There seems to be mixed results with domestic style growing, but it
            has been done. Myself, I like to wildgarden it.

            I usually like to use root or crowns, basically replanting them while
            harvesting. Use sections with a bud or two, a couple of inches long.
            Just put them back in the ground, about 1-1/2-2" below level. Cover,
            mulch.

            I cannot find my stuff on seed propagation! ARGH! Bet it's in the
            other puter, or in one of my journals. Ya know, journals are only
            worth a darn if you have them available to reference. <G> Same with
            info on old puters. Will see if I can locate it for you.

            Are you using wildcrafted sections? Buying it?

            This year, I am experimenting with trying to sprout ginseng in one of
            the garden plots, with only the leaf mulch. Breaking all the "rules",
            i know, but it might work. Gotta give it a shot! If it's possible to
            wildgarden some transplants- a careful undertaking, without a doubt!-
            it might really help get it back in the area, and keep it away from
            the herb-of-the-hour bums. <G> deb

            In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Lucia Ruedenberg Wright
            <lucia@l...> wrote:
            > I'm interested in learning more about growing golden seal. does anyone
            > here know about this?
            >
            > lucia
          • Lucia Ruedenberg Wright
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24, 2003
              hi Deb - thank you for sharing your thoughts on growing goldenseal with
              me. I will need to find some starter roots. I don't have any at all at
              this point would like to try. I think my woods would support it. they are
              mostly maple, on the slope of a gentle mountain side. appears to be good
              drainage.

              Lucia