RE: [fukuoka_farming] One-Straw Revolution A Recapitulation book

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 9, 2003
      Hi Wolfgang,

      Unfortunately the "One Straw Revolution" indexed on amazon.com is not at all the same book as the "Recapitulation" volume issued privately by Fukuoka. The "Recapitulation" book came out years after the original "One Straw" and has never been available, either new or used, from mass market merchandisers.

      Bob Monie, south Louisiana

      Wolfgang R Stemmer <nimbinwolfgang@...> wrote:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0878572201/qid%3D949012372/sr%3D1-2/002-2916255-4925622

      I hope it helps
      magic

    • Michiyo Shibuya
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 9, 2003
        Hello,
        It seems like I can finally buy the long waited "recapitulation" book.
        They are sort of reluctant to sell the copies because only several dozen is
        left,
        but I would like to get the copies for some of you who might be waited for
        this for a long time.

        The condition may not be too good and I am not too sure about the price yet.
        Please understand that this is non profit since most of the copies have been
        used for distributing in
        the countries which needed instruction, and the rest of copies in the stock
        will continute to be
        used in the same manner.
        I am guessing a copy might cost me (or you) around $30 and shipping, I will
        try to make deal with Ms. Honma
        sometime soon. Please contact me directly if you are interested with your
        address, and I will appologize in advance
        if I cannot get enough copies for everyone.

        Michiyo Shibuya
      • Robert Monie
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 9, 2003
          Hi Michiyo,

          Of course I want a copy. Since there are so few, I won't buy any more than one, unless you have some "left over."

          Bob Monie--south Louisiana

          Michiyo Shibuya <michiyos@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Michiyo Shibuya
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
            Hello,
            I finally recieved the copies of the "recapitulation". I had misunderstood
            this book to be a collection of photograph, but in fact this is a
            translation of
            the second last work by Fukuoka, Revolution of god nature human?? ( I forgot
            the exact title,
            can someone help me with this? Japanese book and a collection of photograph
            which
            content is very similar to his latest work, travelling with seedballs except
            for its
            chapter one that has been added.)
            So the English version I have here for you guys are a simple typewritten
            text looks like a dissertation with
            a pale green cover(no photograph). I paid JY3000 each, so anyone who wants
            it can buy it from me with the same
            price and the shipping fee. If you don't have the Japanese original, maybe
            it is better to buy them as a set.
            I can also send it to you for now until it sells out.
            I don't know how to arrange the payment, maybe the international money
            order?
            If you have different suggestions, please let me know.
            I have only Bob, Larry and Jamie who want to buy it so two to America and
            one to France.
            Would Bob or Larry volunteer to receive both books and send to the other, or
            should I send it separately?
            I have very little experience with overseas shipping and money transferring.
            I would like to do it in the way
            that is most convenient for everyone. Please advise me on this.

            Michiyo

          • jamie
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
              Hello Michiyo, I had the chance to briefly leaf through a copy of 'One-Straw
              Revolution: A Recapitulation and agree that it's a text not photo book and I
              think from the words I can recall that it contains an important restatement
              of Fukuoka's ideas, especially the necessity and importance of god within
              his life and his work. For those who have had a chance to read 'Road back to
              Nature', you will remember some phrases there about how Fukuoka felt he had
              wasted the knowledge that his revelation had given him because he had been
              so fixated on his ideas of natural farming that he'd not given adequate
              expression to the real revelation of that vision which had been god (I do
              not capitalise the word as it is essential not to suggest Fukuoka's god is
              necessarily the same god as the God of the 'Peoples of the Book').

              I do not know what yen 3000 is in euros Michiyo but would euros 30 be
              sufficient? An international money order would seem the simplest solution,
              just let me know the amount and the address to send it.

              Jamie
              Souscayrous

              I finally recieved the copies of the "recapitulation". I had misunderstood
              this book to be a collection of photograph, but in fact this is a
              translation of
              the second last work by Fukuoka, Revolution of god nature human?? ( I forgot
              the exact title,
              can someone help me with this? Japanese book and a collection of photograph
              which
              content is very similar to his latest work, travelling with seedballs except
              for its
              chapter one that has been added.)
              So the English version I have here for you guys are a simple typewritten
              text looks like a dissertation with
              a pale green cover(no photograph). I paid JY3000 each, so anyone who wants
              it can buy it from me with the same
              price and the shipping fee. If you don't have the Japanese original, maybe
              it is better to buy them as a set.
              I can also send it to you for now until it sells out.
              I don't know how to arrange the payment, maybe the international money
              order?
              If you have different suggestions, please let me know.
              I have only Bob, Larry and Jamie who want to buy it so two to America and
              one to France.
              Would Bob or Larry volunteer to receive both books and send to the other, or
              should I send it separately?
              I have very little experience with overseas shipping and money transferring.
              I would like to do it in the way
              that is most convenient for everyone. Please advise me on this.

              Michiyo

            • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                i have the japanese version with a picture of masanobu sowing rice shot from above .is it that one . all the pictures of that book at at the bottom of the pages with the text above .
                i received the english translation the ultimatium of god nature , the one straw revolution a recapitulation .
                is it that one ?he is extending his philosophy beyond farming and he talk about a three dimensional clock that will concretise Absolute time ( i didn't understand that one ), he is giving his view on the theory of evolution that speaks to me a lot ....complettelly differnt text than one straw revolution .
                if it is not i am interrested.
                jean-claude

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Michiyo Shibuya
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                  Hello
                  Are there members from India here?
                  I would like to find out when rice is typically made in different regions of
                  India
                  and when rice can be successfully made if not in the typical season.
                  I heard once rice can be made three times a year in the Southern India,
                  and from another source, the rice only grows between August to November.
                  Any info appreciated.

                  Michiyo
                • les landeck
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                    i may be interested in a copy, but i need another week
                    to decided the yen this morning way trading at 108 to
                    US dollar x30=3240yen to US shipping extra see what
                    your people say about mail cost to California USA. We
                    must absorb the cost you have done a great job on
                    presenting this opportunity. Is this a English
                    translation? if so i will try to come back to you next
                    week.

                    with great interested in your effort, Les

                    <instinct@...> wrote:

                    > i have the Japanese version with a picture of
                    > Japanese sowing rice shot from above .is it that one
                    > . all the pictures of that book at at the bottom of
                    > the pages with the text above .
                    > i received the English translation the ultimatum
                    > of god nature , the one straw revolution a
                    > recapitulation .
                    > is it that one ?he is extending his philosophy
                    > beyond farming and he talk about a three dimensional
                    > clock that will concretise Absolute time ( i didn't
                    > understand that one ), he is giving his view on the
                    > theory of evolution that speaks to me a lot
                    > ....completely different text than one straw
                    > revolution .
                    > if it is not i am interested.
                    > jean-claude
                    > Hello,
                    > I finally received the copies of the
                    > "recapitulation". I had misunderstood
                    > this book to be a collection of photograph, but in
                    > fact this is a
                    > translation of
                    > the second last work by Fukuoka, Revolution of god
                    > nature human?? ( I forgot
                    > the exact title,
                    > can someone help me with this? Japanese book and
                    > a collection of photograph
                    > which
                    > content is very similar to his latest work,
                    > traveling with seedballs except
                    > for its
                    > chapter one that has been added.)
                    > So the English version I have here for you guys
                    > are a simple typewritten
                    > text looks like a dissertation with
                    > a pale green cover(no photograph). I paid JY3000
                    > each, so anyone who wants
                    > it can buy it from me with the same
                    > price and the shipping fee. If you don't have the
                    > Japanese original, maybe
                    > it is better to buy them as a set.
                    > I can also send it to you for now until it sells
                    > out.
                    > I don't know how to arrange the payment, maybe the
                    > international money
                    > order?
                    > If you have different suggestions, please let me
                    > know.
                    > I have only Bob, Larry and Jamie who want to buy
                    > it so two to America and
                    > one to France.
                    > Would Bob or Larry volunteer to receive both books
                    > and send to the other, or
                    > should I send it separately?
                    > I have very little experience with overseas
                    > shipping and money transferring.
                    > I would like to do it in the way
                    > that is most convenient for everyone. Please
                    > advise me on this.
                    >
                    > Michiyo

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                  • Michiyo Shibuya
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                      ok, the title of the book is
                      (how it appears on the cover)
                      The Ultimatium of GOD NATURE
                      The One-Straw Revolution
                      A RECAPITULATION
                      Masanobu Fukuoka

                      Jean-claud, this seems like one of the books you have already.
                      I will try to announce here when a new book or translation becomes
                      available..

                      Bob, you can have two if you like. All I have is 6 copies now three is
                      taken, three more.
                      You can pay me in the way you proposed, you can pay when you receive the
                      book.
                      Please send me your address again, I am in the same situation as yours.

                      Les, you can think about it, but I am not too sure if I still have it next
                      week.
                      Yes it is an English translation (published in 1996) of
                      Soukatsuhen wara ippon no kakumei "kami to shizen to hito no kakumei"

                      Jamie,
                      if you check any currency exchange simulation website you can see the
                      conversion.
                      International Postal money order sounds good.
                      As I check it now JPY3000 was to Euro22.04. The weight of the book is 425g.
                      You can pay me when you recieve it. Please send me your mail address and
                      the book will be ready to ship.

                      Michiyo
                    • jamie
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                        Hello Michiyo, I wonder if you (and Honma-san and Fukuoka-san) would like a
                        copy of Emilia Hazelip's Synergistic Gardening video. This is Emilia's
                        adaptation of Fukuoka's work for home and market gardening in a temperate
                        climate. It's only half an hour in length but is quite interesting.

                        I'd like to send you one as a thank you for offering 'Recapitulation', but
                        also because I would love to know Fukuoka-san's reaction to the video.

                        There are a number of video formats (PAL/NTSC/SECAM) and languages available
                        (English, French, Spanish, Italian) so just let me know which you would
                        prefer as i don't know the Japanese video standard.

                        Jamie
                        Souscayrous

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                          you will remember some phrases there about how Fukuoka felt he had
                          wasted the knowledge that his revelation had given him because he had been
                          so fixated on his ideas of natural farming that he'd not given adequate
                          expression to the real revelation of that vision which had been god (I do
                          not capitalise the word as it is essential not to suggest Fukuoka's god is
                          necessarily the same god as the God of the 'Peoples of the Book').
                          i have a copy of his first book written in the 40"s "the god's farming "
                          it is a dialog between him and a wise men from the mountain ( imaginery i assumed )

                          extracted from the editor"s note :
                          <...it is not the accumulation of learnings and methods, it is an unlearning , a methodless- a submission of the human will to nature .>

                          <there was never any doubt in fukuoka's mind that his way (or lack thereof) would succeed - not in the modern interpretation of the word succeedwhich is generally associated with ambitions exploitation, but the original meaning of theb word- to withdraw near . .
                          from masanobu himself
                          Before man attemps to know anything.
                          before man attempts to seek anything.
                          before man attempts to do anything.
                          he should know why god ababdonned him .
                          humanity knows not the true cause of devastation,
                          nor seeks the way to its rebirth.
                          not knowing what should be done ,
                          man merely prides himself on the multitude of his deeds.

                          Knowing not the ten thousand things
                          Not one thing can be known.
                          Unable to know one thing ,
                          the ten thousands things go unknown
                          the ten-thousands things converge into one .
                          one thing covers ten thousands .

                          that is my favorite of his writting as he doesn't waste time about the details of farming .
                          jean-claude

                        • Michiyo Shibuya
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                            Jamie,
                            Thank you for your nice offer for the video, and thank you for your
                            kindness.
                            Actually Honma-san already has the video.
                            She has "the synergistic garden hommage to m.fukuoka" 30min.
                            and
                            "festival du riz & du ble Japon eu france aout 97", 80 min.
                            I don't know if Fukuoka-san has seen them, I will ask when I get a chance.
                            Do you know when and how long Emilia stayed in Japan with Fukuoka-san?

                            I will also ask Honma-san if I she has an intention to sell more of the
                            recapitulation book
                            so that in case someone once again visit the fukuoka farming list in search
                            for that book.
                            I wonder if those several people who appear not too long ago for the book
                            have already unsubscribed.

                            Michiyo

                          • jamie
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                              Thanks Jean-Claude, Fukuoka questions why he bothers to write yet he has a
                              canny ability to express himself.

                              Unlearning, methodlessness yes, but I know I am stuck on the last:
                              submission of the human will to nature! Ultimately, I don't know if I can do
                              without human culture; modern art, John Cage, Jacques Derrida...these things
                              that are often in flagrant reaction to nature and the natural.

                              It is not enough to like the idea of Fukuoka or natural farming, it is also
                              necessary to live it in everything you do and, as yet, and for the
                              foreseeable future, I do not live like this.

                              I often think that our greatest respect is for the people we are not.

                              Jamie
                              Souscayrous

                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                                Hello Michiyo, well if Fukuoka-san has seen the video I think we'd all
                                appreciate his ideas. A Japanese friend of Mark Cain (who was an old pupil
                                of Emilia's Synergistic Gardening), said, knowing Fukuoka, that she thought
                                he probably wouldn't agree with Emilia, but who knows?

                                Emilia never went to Japan, she met Fukuoka when he was in Europe somewhere
                                but I don't remember when or where. It was only a brief meeting. Does
                                Fukuoka-san remember her I wonder.

                                It's very strange to finally be imagining as I write these words
                                Fukuoka-san's response to some of these questions, it's wonderful that
                                through you and Honma-san we are closer to him and may yet have some form of
                                communication with him through these emails, however indirect.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                                  Unlearning, methodlessness yes, but I know I am stuck on the last:
                                  submission of the human will to nature! Ultimately, I don't know if I can do
                                  without human culture; modern art, John Cage, Jacques Derrida...these things
                                  that are often in flagrant reaction to nature and the natural.

                                  humans have needs as any other organisms . as a social organism they have specific needs in that aera beyond shelter and foods...
                                  nature necessarelly provide for thoses needs ( overwise they will not exist ). peoples have cut themselves from the natural satisfaction of those needs and have created strategies to try to meet them any way .
                                  because we don't know what those needs are we confuse the strategies and the needs behind .
                                  when you are clear you need intimacy for exemple you might find it in ways you didn't imagine when your favor strategy was to look for sex .
                                  so modern art ,john cage , jacques derrida are satisfying fondamentals needs for you . what are they ? could you imagine satysfying them naturally without the help of artifices ? could you hear the frog song as the sweetest of all melodies ?
                                  jean-claude

                                • jamie
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 18, 2003
                                    Hello Jean-Claude, you write: "nature necessarelly provide for thoses
                                    needs ( overwise they will not exist ). peoples have cut themselves from the
                                    natural satisfaction of those needs and have created strategies to try to
                                    meet them any way ."

                                    Just as with what we eat, nature provides what we need. The idea of the
                                    seperation of man and nature has never appealed to me although it is clearly
                                    prevalent in our culture. Humans are part of nature not some appendage stuck
                                    on artificially. Our intellect may desire autonomy but our bodies are tied
                                    inexorably to the earth.

                                    Yet, I still want to acknowledge the depth of these artificial sounds, words
                                    and objects. They make a claim on us because they reveal the world afresh -
                                    how is it that we know the meaning of music and yet there are no words used?
                                    How can John Cages 4'37" (which is 4'37" of silence) create an answering
                                    response?

                                    I am not deaf to the natural world - only yesterday the ruisseau below
                                    Souscayrous was finally flowing again, and the sound of the water was
                                    profoundly moving. Even the accompaniment of birds or insects has an effect
                                    whether consciously acknowledged or not.

                                    You write: "so modern art ,john cage , jacques derrida are satisfying
                                    fondamentals needs for you . what are they ? could you imagine satysfying
                                    them naturally without the help of artifices ? could you hear the frog song
                                    as the sweetest of all melodies ?"

                                    My answer would have to be no. I do not believe that Philip Glass, John
                                    Taverner, Steve Reich can be found in nature, however much I experience
                                    beauty there. Humans are of the natural world but they are also able to
                                    create their own meaning expressed in the very best of art (and I believe
                                    what I am after is expressed only rarely, most being simply pleasant and
                                    distracting melodies).

                                    I resist total submission to nature because that submission will never be to
                                    nature itself but an idea we have of nature. Just as Feuerbach proposed
                                    about our commitment to religion, I believe we can make a religion out of
                                    nature and bundle all of our best qualities into nature and thereby isolate
                                    them from ourselves, rather than recognising that those best qualities are
                                    ours. Nature is a mirror from which we read back to ourselves our own
                                    obsessions and observations. I do not know that we can ever really look at
                                    nature and see nature, however much we might wish for it.

                                    Jamie
                                    Souscayrous

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 18, 2003
                                      . The idea of the
                                      seperation of man and nature has never appealed to me although it is clearly
                                      prevalent in our culture. Humans are part of nature not some appendage stuck
                                      on artificially. Our intellect may desire autonomy but our bodies are tied
                                      inexorably to the earth.
                                      you are right humans can't separate themselves from nature but it is a wish dreamed that manifest in the quest of artificial means to satisfy fondamental needs . that is the spinning out off center ,where you don't go anywhere but you dream you do .
                                      jean-claude

                                    • jamie
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003
                                        Hello Jean-Claude, you write: "you are right humans can't separate
                                        themselves from nature but it is a wish dreamed that manifest in the quest
                                        of artificial means to satisfy fondamental needs"

                                        I think I understand you here: so many people rushing around looking to fill
                                        their lack, they try everything other than what is right there before them,
                                        supplied by nature. But can there be a human need that is not fulfilled by
                                        the natural world but only by the human world of civilized culture?

                                        There are people who would find their lives immeasureably shrunken if all
                                        art, literature and music were taken from their lives. I know you and
                                        Fukuoka would respond by saying these are the people lost to the truth of
                                        nature, taken up by the artificial world of 'civilized' humankind, but I do
                                        not feel the same emotions when I hear the song of the frogs as I do when I
                                        hear Wagner (they can be equally as noisy!); to look at the poplars invading
                                        and replenishing the soils below Souscayrous is not the same as to look on
                                        Van Gogh's 'Allee des Alyscamps'.

                                        I do understand your point but do not yet feel it, perhaps because I'm still
                                        firmly settled in my culture, but there is perhaps also the possibility that
                                        the very best art draws the truth from the deep well of being and we should
                                        leave ourselves open to this call.

                                        Jamie
                                        Souscayrous

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 22, 2004
                                          Hello:
                                          I have been telling the story of the RECAPITULATION book to people and
                                          it seems there is a need. Is it possible to get 50 copies of the book
                                          for use in a class? I would prefer to buy the books but, if necessary,
                                          I can offer to license the reprinting of the book for the US so that
                                          the Japan side does not have to do so. I produce small printings of
                                          some hard to get books, mostly for my use but anyone is welcome to buy
                                          them. I sell for cost as it is not my business, only my avocation. I
                                          have licensed and printed some rare Japanese titles that I find in the
                                          Tokyo bookshops.
                                          - michael
                                        • Sergio Montinola
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                            Dear Michael,

                                            I am interested to buy a copy of the Recapitulation
                                            book. Please let me know. Thanks,

                                            Sergio J. Montinola

                                            http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html