One-Straw Revolution A Recapitulation book

  • LAKSHMI VISWANATHAN
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 6, 2003
      Hello Friends:

      I am trying to locate the book The Ultimatum of GOD
      NATURE The One-Straw Revolution A RECAPITULATION,
      an English revision of the original One-Straw
      Revolution, published in 1996, in Japan.

      Where do you think, I can buy a copy of this book.
      Even a used one would do.

      Thanks
      Lakshmi N. Viswanathan

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • akhan@tropicanacommunity.org
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 6, 2003
        Try the Other India Bookstore at
        http://www.goacom.com/oib/index.html

        I am trying to locate the book The Ultimatum of GOD
        NATURE The One-Straw Revolution A RECAPITULATION,
        an English revision of the original One-Straw
        Revolution, published in 1996, in Japan.

        Where do you think, I can buy a copy of this book.
        Even a used one would do.

        Thanks
        Lakshmi N. Viswanathan

        http://shopping.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Michiyo Shibuya
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 6, 2003
          Hello,
          I believe that a new copy cannot be obtained from a bookstore because only
          small amount of copies are published
          from Fukuoka's own expense, and he still has the copyright. I was supposed
          to get a copy from the last box
          of leftover in his cabin but now someone took it all home and I have not
          receive it yet. I hear the books went through rains so I am not too sure
          about the condition,
          and I don't know about the price yet, but I might be able to get 10 or so
          copies for this list members.

          Honma-san and I want to start getting back the copyright of all his
          publications.
          (for those of you who don't know fukuoka doesn't hold a copyright for any
          books published outside of Japan) I have been collecting information on
          other books but nothing came out about this book. Please let me know if you
          find out anyone sells this book.

          I will post again when I obtain the copies, it is well possible to take me
          more months.

          Michiyo Shibuya

        • Wolfgang R Stemmer
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 9, 2003
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0878572201/qid%3D949012372/sr%3D1-2/002-2916255-4925622

            I hope it helps
            magic

          • Wolfgang R Stemmer
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 9, 2003
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0878572201/qid%3D949012372/sr%3D1-2/002-2916255-4925622

              I hope it helps
              magic

            • Robert Monie
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 9, 2003
                Hi Wolfgang,

                Unfortunately the "One Straw Revolution" indexed on amazon.com is not at all the same book as the "Recapitulation" volume issued privately by Fukuoka. The "Recapitulation" book came out years after the original "One Straw" and has never been available, either new or used, from mass market merchandisers.

                Bob Monie, south Louisiana

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 9, 2003
                  Hello,
                  It seems like I can finally buy the long waited "recapitulation" book.
                  They are sort of reluctant to sell the copies because only several dozen is
                  left,
                  but I would like to get the copies for some of you who might be waited for
                  this for a long time.

                  The condition may not be too good and I am not too sure about the price yet.
                  Please understand that this is non profit since most of the copies have been
                  used for distributing in
                  the countries which needed instruction, and the rest of copies in the stock
                  will continute to be
                  used in the same manner.
                  I am guessing a copy might cost me (or you) around $30 and shipping, I will
                  try to make deal with Ms. Honma
                  sometime soon. Please contact me directly if you are interested with your
                  address, and I will appologize in advance
                  if I cannot get enough copies for everyone.

                  Michiyo Shibuya
                • Robert Monie
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 9, 2003
                    Hi Michiyo,

                    Of course I want a copy. Since there are so few, I won't buy any more than one, unless you have some "left over."

                    Bob Monie--south Louisiana

                    Michiyo Shibuya <michiyos@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • Michiyo Shibuya
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                      Hello,
                      I finally recieved the copies of the "recapitulation". I had misunderstood
                      this book to be a collection of photograph, but in fact this is a
                      translation of
                      the second last work by Fukuoka, Revolution of god nature human?? ( I forgot
                      the exact title,
                      can someone help me with this? Japanese book and a collection of photograph
                      which
                      content is very similar to his latest work, travelling with seedballs except
                      for its
                      chapter one that has been added.)
                      So the English version I have here for you guys are a simple typewritten
                      text looks like a dissertation with
                      a pale green cover(no photograph). I paid JY3000 each, so anyone who wants
                      it can buy it from me with the same
                      price and the shipping fee. If you don't have the Japanese original, maybe
                      it is better to buy them as a set.
                      I can also send it to you for now until it sells out.
                      I don't know how to arrange the payment, maybe the international money
                      order?
                      If you have different suggestions, please let me know.
                      I have only Bob, Larry and Jamie who want to buy it so two to America and
                      one to France.
                      Would Bob or Larry volunteer to receive both books and send to the other, or
                      should I send it separately?
                      I have very little experience with overseas shipping and money transferring.
                      I would like to do it in the way
                      that is most convenient for everyone. Please advise me on this.

                      Michiyo

                    • jamie
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                        Hello Michiyo, I had the chance to briefly leaf through a copy of 'One-Straw
                        Revolution: A Recapitulation and agree that it's a text not photo book and I
                        think from the words I can recall that it contains an important restatement
                        of Fukuoka's ideas, especially the necessity and importance of god within
                        his life and his work. For those who have had a chance to read 'Road back to
                        Nature', you will remember some phrases there about how Fukuoka felt he had
                        wasted the knowledge that his revelation had given him because he had been
                        so fixated on his ideas of natural farming that he'd not given adequate
                        expression to the real revelation of that vision which had been god (I do
                        not capitalise the word as it is essential not to suggest Fukuoka's god is
                        necessarily the same god as the God of the 'Peoples of the Book').

                        I do not know what yen 3000 is in euros Michiyo but would euros 30 be
                        sufficient? An international money order would seem the simplest solution,
                        just let me know the amount and the address to send it.

                        Jamie
                        Souscayrous

                        I finally recieved the copies of the "recapitulation". I had misunderstood
                        this book to be a collection of photograph, but in fact this is a
                        translation of
                        the second last work by Fukuoka, Revolution of god nature human?? ( I forgot
                        the exact title,
                        can someone help me with this? Japanese book and a collection of photograph
                        which
                        content is very similar to his latest work, travelling with seedballs except
                        for its
                        chapter one that has been added.)
                        So the English version I have here for you guys are a simple typewritten
                        text looks like a dissertation with
                        a pale green cover(no photograph). I paid JY3000 each, so anyone who wants
                        it can buy it from me with the same
                        price and the shipping fee. If you don't have the Japanese original, maybe
                        it is better to buy them as a set.
                        I can also send it to you for now until it sells out.
                        I don't know how to arrange the payment, maybe the international money
                        order?
                        If you have different suggestions, please let me know.
                        I have only Bob, Larry and Jamie who want to buy it so two to America and
                        one to France.
                        Would Bob or Larry volunteer to receive both books and send to the other, or
                        should I send it separately?
                        I have very little experience with overseas shipping and money transferring.
                        I would like to do it in the way
                        that is most convenient for everyone. Please advise me on this.

                        Michiyo

                      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                          i have the japanese version with a picture of masanobu sowing rice shot from above .is it that one . all the pictures of that book at at the bottom of the pages with the text above .
                          i received the english translation the ultimatium of god nature , the one straw revolution a recapitulation .
                          is it that one ?he is extending his philosophy beyond farming and he talk about a three dimensional clock that will concretise Absolute time ( i didn't understand that one ), he is giving his view on the theory of evolution that speaks to me a lot ....complettelly differnt text than one straw revolution .
                          if it is not i am interrested.
                          jean-claude

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Michiyo Shibuya
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                            Hello
                            Are there members from India here?
                            I would like to find out when rice is typically made in different regions of
                            India
                            and when rice can be successfully made if not in the typical season.
                            I heard once rice can be made three times a year in the Southern India,
                            and from another source, the rice only grows between August to November.
                            Any info appreciated.

                            Michiyo
                          • les landeck
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                              i may be interested in a copy, but i need another week
                              to decided the yen this morning way trading at 108 to
                              US dollar x30=3240yen to US shipping extra see what
                              your people say about mail cost to California USA. We
                              must absorb the cost you have done a great job on
                              presenting this opportunity. Is this a English
                              translation? if so i will try to come back to you next
                              week.

                              with great interested in your effort, Les

                              <instinct@...> wrote:

                              > i have the Japanese version with a picture of
                              > Japanese sowing rice shot from above .is it that one
                              > . all the pictures of that book at at the bottom of
                              > the pages with the text above .
                              > i received the English translation the ultimatum
                              > of god nature , the one straw revolution a
                              > recapitulation .
                              > is it that one ?he is extending his philosophy
                              > beyond farming and he talk about a three dimensional
                              > clock that will concretise Absolute time ( i didn't
                              > understand that one ), he is giving his view on the
                              > theory of evolution that speaks to me a lot
                              > ....completely different text than one straw
                              > revolution .
                              > if it is not i am interested.
                              > jean-claude
                              > Hello,
                              > I finally received the copies of the
                              > "recapitulation". I had misunderstood
                              > this book to be a collection of photograph, but in
                              > fact this is a
                              > translation of
                              > the second last work by Fukuoka, Revolution of god
                              > nature human?? ( I forgot
                              > the exact title,
                              > can someone help me with this? Japanese book and
                              > a collection of photograph
                              > which
                              > content is very similar to his latest work,
                              > traveling with seedballs except
                              > for its
                              > chapter one that has been added.)
                              > So the English version I have here for you guys
                              > are a simple typewritten
                              > text looks like a dissertation with
                              > a pale green cover(no photograph). I paid JY3000
                              > each, so anyone who wants
                              > it can buy it from me with the same
                              > price and the shipping fee. If you don't have the
                              > Japanese original, maybe
                              > it is better to buy them as a set.
                              > I can also send it to you for now until it sells
                              > out.
                              > I don't know how to arrange the payment, maybe the
                              > international money
                              > order?
                              > If you have different suggestions, please let me
                              > know.
                              > I have only Bob, Larry and Jamie who want to buy
                              > it so two to America and
                              > one to France.
                              > Would Bob or Larry volunteer to receive both books
                              > and send to the other, or
                              > should I send it separately?
                              > I have very little experience with overseas
                              > shipping and money transferring.
                              > I would like to do it in the way
                              > that is most convenient for everyone. Please
                              > advise me on this.
                              >
                              > Michiyo

                              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                            • Michiyo Shibuya
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 16, 2003
                                ok, the title of the book is
                                (how it appears on the cover)
                                The Ultimatium of GOD NATURE
                                The One-Straw Revolution
                                A RECAPITULATION
                                Masanobu Fukuoka

                                Jean-claud, this seems like one of the books you have already.
                                I will try to announce here when a new book or translation becomes
                                available..

                                Bob, you can have two if you like. All I have is 6 copies now three is
                                taken, three more.
                                You can pay me in the way you proposed, you can pay when you receive the
                                book.
                                Please send me your address again, I am in the same situation as yours.

                                Les, you can think about it, but I am not too sure if I still have it next
                                week.
                                Yes it is an English translation (published in 1996) of
                                Soukatsuhen wara ippon no kakumei "kami to shizen to hito no kakumei"

                                Jamie,
                                if you check any currency exchange simulation website you can see the
                                conversion.
                                International Postal money order sounds good.
                                As I check it now JPY3000 was to Euro22.04. The weight of the book is 425g.
                                You can pay me when you recieve it. Please send me your mail address and
                                the book will be ready to ship.

                                Michiyo
                              • jamie
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                                  Hello Michiyo, I wonder if you (and Honma-san and Fukuoka-san) would like a
                                  copy of Emilia Hazelip's Synergistic Gardening video. This is Emilia's
                                  adaptation of Fukuoka's work for home and market gardening in a temperate
                                  climate. It's only half an hour in length but is quite interesting.

                                  I'd like to send you one as a thank you for offering 'Recapitulation', but
                                  also because I would love to know Fukuoka-san's reaction to the video.

                                  There are a number of video formats (PAL/NTSC/SECAM) and languages available
                                  (English, French, Spanish, Italian) so just let me know which you would
                                  prefer as i don't know the Japanese video standard.

                                  Jamie
                                  Souscayrous

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                                    you will remember some phrases there about how Fukuoka felt he had
                                    wasted the knowledge that his revelation had given him because he had been
                                    so fixated on his ideas of natural farming that he'd not given adequate
                                    expression to the real revelation of that vision which had been god (I do
                                    not capitalise the word as it is essential not to suggest Fukuoka's god is
                                    necessarily the same god as the God of the 'Peoples of the Book').
                                    i have a copy of his first book written in the 40"s "the god's farming "
                                    it is a dialog between him and a wise men from the mountain ( imaginery i assumed )

                                    extracted from the editor"s note :
                                    <...it is not the accumulation of learnings and methods, it is an unlearning , a methodless- a submission of the human will to nature .>

                                    <there was never any doubt in fukuoka's mind that his way (or lack thereof) would succeed - not in the modern interpretation of the word succeedwhich is generally associated with ambitions exploitation, but the original meaning of theb word- to withdraw near . .
                                    from masanobu himself
                                    Before man attemps to know anything.
                                    before man attempts to seek anything.
                                    before man attempts to do anything.
                                    he should know why god ababdonned him .
                                    humanity knows not the true cause of devastation,
                                    nor seeks the way to its rebirth.
                                    not knowing what should be done ,
                                    man merely prides himself on the multitude of his deeds.

                                    Knowing not the ten thousand things
                                    Not one thing can be known.
                                    Unable to know one thing ,
                                    the ten thousands things go unknown
                                    the ten-thousands things converge into one .
                                    one thing covers ten thousands .

                                    that is my favorite of his writting as he doesn't waste time about the details of farming .
                                    jean-claude

                                  • Michiyo Shibuya
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                                      Jamie,
                                      Thank you for your nice offer for the video, and thank you for your
                                      kindness.
                                      Actually Honma-san already has the video.
                                      She has "the synergistic garden hommage to m.fukuoka" 30min.
                                      and
                                      "festival du riz & du ble Japon eu france aout 97", 80 min.
                                      I don't know if Fukuoka-san has seen them, I will ask when I get a chance.
                                      Do you know when and how long Emilia stayed in Japan with Fukuoka-san?

                                      I will also ask Honma-san if I she has an intention to sell more of the
                                      recapitulation book
                                      so that in case someone once again visit the fukuoka farming list in search
                                      for that book.
                                      I wonder if those several people who appear not too long ago for the book
                                      have already unsubscribed.

                                      Michiyo

                                    • jamie
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                                        Thanks Jean-Claude, Fukuoka questions why he bothers to write yet he has a
                                        canny ability to express himself.

                                        Unlearning, methodlessness yes, but I know I am stuck on the last:
                                        submission of the human will to nature! Ultimately, I don't know if I can do
                                        without human culture; modern art, John Cage, Jacques Derrida...these things
                                        that are often in flagrant reaction to nature and the natural.

                                        It is not enough to like the idea of Fukuoka or natural farming, it is also
                                        necessary to live it in everything you do and, as yet, and for the
                                        foreseeable future, I do not live like this.

                                        I often think that our greatest respect is for the people we are not.

                                        Jamie
                                        Souscayrous

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                                          Hello Michiyo, well if Fukuoka-san has seen the video I think we'd all
                                          appreciate his ideas. A Japanese friend of Mark Cain (who was an old pupil
                                          of Emilia's Synergistic Gardening), said, knowing Fukuoka, that she thought
                                          he probably wouldn't agree with Emilia, but who knows?

                                          Emilia never went to Japan, she met Fukuoka when he was in Europe somewhere
                                          but I don't remember when or where. It was only a brief meeting. Does
                                          Fukuoka-san remember her I wonder.

                                          It's very strange to finally be imagining as I write these words
                                          Fukuoka-san's response to some of these questions, it's wonderful that
                                          through you and Honma-san we are closer to him and may yet have some form of
                                          communication with him through these emails, however indirect.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 17, 2003
                                            Unlearning, methodlessness yes, but I know I am stuck on the last:
                                            submission of the human will to nature! Ultimately, I don't know if I can do
                                            without human culture; modern art, John Cage, Jacques Derrida...these things
                                            that are often in flagrant reaction to nature and the natural.

                                            humans have needs as any other organisms . as a social organism they have specific needs in that aera beyond shelter and foods...
                                            nature necessarelly provide for thoses needs ( overwise they will not exist ). peoples have cut themselves from the natural satisfaction of those needs and have created strategies to try to meet them any way .
                                            because we don't know what those needs are we confuse the strategies and the needs behind .
                                            when you are clear you need intimacy for exemple you might find it in ways you didn't imagine when your favor strategy was to look for sex .
                                            so modern art ,john cage , jacques derrida are satisfying fondamentals needs for you . what are they ? could you imagine satysfying them naturally without the help of artifices ? could you hear the frog song as the sweetest of all melodies ?
                                            jean-claude

                                          • jamie
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 18, 2003
                                              Hello Jean-Claude, you write: "nature necessarelly provide for thoses
                                              needs ( overwise they will not exist ). peoples have cut themselves from the
                                              natural satisfaction of those needs and have created strategies to try to
                                              meet them any way ."

                                              Just as with what we eat, nature provides what we need. The idea of the
                                              seperation of man and nature has never appealed to me although it is clearly
                                              prevalent in our culture. Humans are part of nature not some appendage stuck
                                              on artificially. Our intellect may desire autonomy but our bodies are tied
                                              inexorably to the earth.

                                              Yet, I still want to acknowledge the depth of these artificial sounds, words
                                              and objects. They make a claim on us because they reveal the world afresh -
                                              how is it that we know the meaning of music and yet there are no words used?
                                              How can John Cages 4'37" (which is 4'37" of silence) create an answering
                                              response?

                                              I am not deaf to the natural world - only yesterday the ruisseau below
                                              Souscayrous was finally flowing again, and the sound of the water was
                                              profoundly moving. Even the accompaniment of birds or insects has an effect
                                              whether consciously acknowledged or not.

                                              You write: "so modern art ,john cage , jacques derrida are satisfying
                                              fondamentals needs for you . what are they ? could you imagine satysfying
                                              them naturally without the help of artifices ? could you hear the frog song
                                              as the sweetest of all melodies ?"

                                              My answer would have to be no. I do not believe that Philip Glass, John
                                              Taverner, Steve Reich can be found in nature, however much I experience
                                              beauty there. Humans are of the natural world but they are also able to
                                              create their own meaning expressed in the very best of art (and I believe
                                              what I am after is expressed only rarely, most being simply pleasant and
                                              distracting melodies).

                                              I resist total submission to nature because that submission will never be to
                                              nature itself but an idea we have of nature. Just as Feuerbach proposed
                                              about our commitment to religion, I believe we can make a religion out of
                                              nature and bundle all of our best qualities into nature and thereby isolate
                                              them from ourselves, rather than recognising that those best qualities are
                                              ours. Nature is a mirror from which we read back to ourselves our own
                                              obsessions and observations. I do not know that we can ever really look at
                                              nature and see nature, however much we might wish for it.

                                              Jamie
                                              Souscayrous

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 18, 2003
                                                . The idea of the
                                                seperation of man and nature has never appealed to me although it is clearly
                                                prevalent in our culture. Humans are part of nature not some appendage stuck
                                                on artificially. Our intellect may desire autonomy but our bodies are tied
                                                inexorably to the earth.
                                                you are right humans can't separate themselves from nature but it is a wish dreamed that manifest in the quest of artificial means to satisfy fondamental needs . that is the spinning out off center ,where you don't go anywhere but you dream you do .
                                                jean-claude

                                              • jamie
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003
                                                  Hello Jean-Claude, you write: "you are right humans can't separate
                                                  themselves from nature but it is a wish dreamed that manifest in the quest
                                                  of artificial means to satisfy fondamental needs"

                                                  I think I understand you here: so many people rushing around looking to fill
                                                  their lack, they try everything other than what is right there before them,
                                                  supplied by nature. But can there be a human need that is not fulfilled by
                                                  the natural world but only by the human world of civilized culture?

                                                  There are people who would find their lives immeasureably shrunken if all
                                                  art, literature and music were taken from their lives. I know you and
                                                  Fukuoka would respond by saying these are the people lost to the truth of
                                                  nature, taken up by the artificial world of 'civilized' humankind, but I do
                                                  not feel the same emotions when I hear the song of the frogs as I do when I
                                                  hear Wagner (they can be equally as noisy!); to look at the poplars invading
                                                  and replenishing the soils below Souscayrous is not the same as to look on
                                                  Van Gogh's 'Allee des Alyscamps'.

                                                  I do understand your point but do not yet feel it, perhaps because I'm still
                                                  firmly settled in my culture, but there is perhaps also the possibility that
                                                  the very best art draws the truth from the deep well of being and we should
                                                  leave ourselves open to this call.

                                                  Jamie
                                                  Souscayrous

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 22, 2004
                                                    Hello:
                                                    I have been telling the story of the RECAPITULATION book to people and
                                                    it seems there is a need. Is it possible to get 50 copies of the book
                                                    for use in a class? I would prefer to buy the books but, if necessary,
                                                    I can offer to license the reprinting of the book for the US so that
                                                    the Japan side does not have to do so. I produce small printings of
                                                    some hard to get books, mostly for my use but anyone is welcome to buy
                                                    them. I sell for cost as it is not my business, only my avocation. I
                                                    have licensed and printed some rare Japanese titles that I find in the
                                                    Tokyo bookshops.
                                                    - michael
                                                  • Sergio Montinola
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                                      Dear Michael,

                                                      I am interested to buy a copy of the Recapitulation
                                                      book. Please let me know. Thanks,

                                                      Sergio J. Montinola

                                                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html