i am a new enterant

  • Booma Santhakumari
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
      hi all

      i am a new subscriber to this group. some body please
      tell me about the basics of this fukuoka farming so
      that i can understand the concept

    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
        > i am a new subscriber to this group. some body please
        > tell me about the basics of this fukuoka farming so
        > that i can understand the concept

        Hi,

        I suggest you check out the Overview section of the website
        http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net for as complete an explanation as we have yet
        come up with.

        Larry Haftl
        larry@...
        http://LarryHaftl.com
        http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net
      • akhan@tropicanacommunity.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
          Read the book that started it all. One straw revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka.

          I have summarized his book in the following poem:

          Says Masanobu Fukuoka of Japan

          Let's start the ONE STRAW REVOLUTION

          Stop practicing chemical farming

          That's doomed to agriculture destruction

          "DO NOTHING" farming is his method

          But it does not mean "no work"

          It's the unnecessary, anti-nature activities

          From which one needs to shirk

          Do not piecemeal knowledge

          By putting it in a specialization slot

          Total knowledge is the sum of what one knows

          And what one knows not

          In an effort to possess joy and happiness

          One loses them in essence

          Natural farming will come to you

          When this abstract makes sense

          The ultimate goal of farming

          Is not crop cultivation

          But rather the attainment

          Of human perfection

          One does not live by bread alone

          Nourishment is must for the person whole

          Natural farming is just that way

          Nurturing body, spirit and soul

          3200 kg of rice, barley, wheat or rye

          Is the average per acre yield

          Which is equal to or better than

          Any chemically grown field

          There are four principles

          Of the Natural Farming way

          These must be inculcated

          In your actions every day

          First, NO CULTIVATION, no plowing

          No turning of the soil

          Leave it to Nature's "tractors"

          Save yourself the toil

          Second, NO CHEMICAL FERTILIZERS

          Or any prepared compost

          On a ground cover of any clover

          Some chicken manure at most

          Third, NO HERBICIDES, no weeding

          By tillage or other way

          In balancing Nature and fertility

          Weeds have a role to play

          Fourth, dependence on CHEMICALS

          Should be ZERO, zilch, nil

          They pollute our environment

          Poison our food- they kill

          Sow seeds of rice or grain

          Along with some clover

          Barley sprouts up, rice stays dormant

          Until winter is over

          The clover stays in the ground

          To make certain and ensure

          That nitrogen is constantly being fixed

          By this perennial green manure

          The barley is harvested in May

          Sun dried, threshed, stored in a sack

          Its unshredded straw then

          On the rice field scattered back

          Water is allowed to stand in the field

          For ten days during the rain

          This weakens the ground clover

          And boosts the rice grain

          In October the rice is harvested

          In bunches hung out to sun dry

          The unshredded rice straw is then spread

          On the growing fields of rye

          No chemicals, no pesticides

          No plowing, no tilling

          Yet each and every year

          Soil's fertility is increasing

          Growing crops without the use

          Of constant flood irrigation

          Conserves soil and prevents

          Water logging and salination

          Do not prune fruit trees

          Let them grow as Nature meant

          Time saved from unnecessary work can

          On self-betterment be spent

          Grow vegetables and herbs

          With minimum soil preparation

          Let Nature take its course

          In their propagation

          In this world there is nothing at all

          One cannot understand anything

          He is foolish who thinks he knows

          Cause what he knows is nothing

          Do not think what will be the outcome

          If you do that or this

          Observe instead the impact

          Of not doing that or this

          Why do we have to develop?

          Why go through all this trouble?

          If economic growth doubles?

          Will our happiness too double???

          All this research and development

          All this hoopla, noise and pollution

          Was is really a "GREEN REVOLUTION"

          Or just a CHEMICAL illusion?

          We have come to the point

          To stand up and shout

          Let's bring about a movement

          To not bring any thing about

          This exhaustion of resources

          Increasingly Nature's desolation

          The human spirit's uneasiness

          And its disintegration

          If the results of non active agriculture

          Are the same, but at lower cost

          Is technology the winner

          Or has humanity lost

          The farmer does not realize

          He's merely a factor

          In modern agriculture's equation

          Like a combine, plow or tractor

          Get rid of the aspects of inside and outside

          Farmers of the world, UNITE

          The key to PEACE lies close to the earth

          Sow seeds of peace, don't fight

          From just one humble straw

          A revolution begins

          To create a world of no losers

          Wherein everybody wins

          Step out into the field and see

          Fruit laden orchards, ripening grain

          Chickens scratching, children at innocent play

          Unshackle your soul from burden, guilt and pain

          Akbar Khan

          Karachi, February 1996

          Inspired by The One Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka

          i am a new subscriber to this group. some body please
          tell me about the basics of this fukuoka farming so
          that i can understand the concept

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • au bautista

            i am a new subscriber to this group. some body please
            tell me about the basics of this fukuoka farming so
            that i can understand the concept

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT