Magnetic effect on plants

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
      It is well-known that animals, birds, fish, and reptiles are attuned
      to the magnetic pole of the Earth. We use if for direction and
      balance from what I have read innately. Birds and other animals use
      it for direction when migrating, etc.

      Does anyone know if there are studies on any effects that the Earth's
      magnetic pole has on plants?

      Gloria
    • Connie Kuramoto
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
        There is some information around that in the theories of Biodynamic Gardening.
        Connie Kuramoto

        It is well-known that animals, birds, fish, and reptiles are attuned
        to the magnetic pole of the Earth. We use if for direction and
        balance from what I have read innately. Birds and other animals use
        it for direction when migrating, etc.

        Does anyone know if there are studies on any effects that the Earth's
        magnetic pole has on plants?

        Gloria

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/bAOolB/TM

      • Art Petrzelka
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
          On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 00:46, Gloria C. Baikauskas wrote:
          > Does anyone know if there are studies on any effects that the Earth's
          > magnetic pole has on plants?

          Someone mentioned biodynamics. There is a Website called
          http://www.remineralize-the-earth.org/ that uses ground up rock dust to
          replenish fertility that also claims magnetization benefits.
          An Arden Anderson wrote some books on magnetic effects on soil, crops
          and pests. www.acresusa.com (I seem to type that one a lot!) Look under
          the "Subtle Energies" category of the Books section.

          There's a bunch of books there that I would like to read, and some that
          make me shake my head. The theory that weak plants give off a different
          magnetic signature than healthy plants sounds OK, and the fact that
          different insects antennae are tuned to specific signatures sounds OK,
          but they don't use the scientific lingo that I'm used to. They kind of
          play fast and loose with the language and the logic. That doesn't mean
          it's wrong, it just means that I don't understand how they got where
          they are yet! I'm suspending judgement for now.

          Anyway, it makes eminent sense to me that specific insects are the
          ecological cleanup crew for specific sick plants, and that healthy
          plants don't have heavy pressure from insects. Otherwise, how did the
          world get this far without having everything eaten to the ground???
          --
          Art Petrzelka
          Amana, Iowa, USA
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Art Petrzelka <art@c...>
            wrote:
            >> Someone mentioned biodynamics. There is a Website called
            > http://www.remineralize-the-earth.org/ that uses ground up rock
            dust to
            > replenish fertility that also claims magnetization benefits.

            I am familiar with using some rock sands in organic gardening here i
            Texas. The local organic gardening guru (radio/tv/newspaper), has
            been touting red lava sand, Texas green sand, as well as granite
            sand, for a few years now. His daughter did a science project
            showing the effects of using these sands on vegetable plants, I
            believe.

            I have used the red lava sand, and the Texas green sand. I have not
            used the granite sand. The one aspect of the lava sand that stands
            out in a dry climate is its ability to help hold moisture in the
            soil. It does have trace elements in it, too.

            I have not used any amendments since I began taking the natural
            farming/gardening approach. I haven't ruled it out.....just decided
            to give it a shot without them.

            The reason I asked about the magnetic effect on plants.....is the
            same thing I have brought up before.....the current magnetic pole
            reversal the Earth is going through right now. I will have to read
            up on biodynamics as soon as possible. The hour grows late as I
            write.

            Thanks to both of you for responding. It seems I, too, Art, find
            more books I must read all the time.

            Gloria
          • HS Wong
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
              Hi Gloria,
              I finally got around to joining this group. Thanks for
              the invite.

              Couple of comments:

              1. I happen to be using a "lava rock extract" from an
              organic fertiliser supplier for my durian trees. He
              doesn't tell me too much and I am using his product
              because he has obtained the certification of our local
              standards body. Anyway, what he tells me is that he
              autoclaves crushed lava rocks and the extract is what
              he is selling. I have noted good results in insect
              control and I have seen my durian fruits closing up
              "wounds" made by borers after regular applications of
              the extract.

              2. I wonder whether the magnetic effect has anything
              to do with the fact that a lot of plant nursery owners
              in my country site them under high-tension power grid
              lines. I used to think that its becos it rent-free
              but some owners that I spoke to tell me that it's
              becos the plants grow better and are more sellable.

              Regards

              HS

              - "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:
              > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Art
              > Petrzelka <art@c...>
              > wrote:

              =====
              Regards,

              HS Wong
              Visit my farm: www.dqcleanchicken.com
              Find out about the most important chicken: www.junglefowl.org
              You can contribute to sustainability: www.sustainablelivingcentre.com

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Gloria C. Baikauskas
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 27, 2003
                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, HS Wong <hs_wong33@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hi Gloria,
                > I finally got around to joining this group. Thanks for
                > the invite.
                >
                > Couple of comments:
                >
                > 1. I happen to be using a "lava rock extract" from an
                > organic fertiliser supplier for my durian trees. He
                > doesn't tell me too much and I am using his product
                > because he has obtained the certification of our local
                > standards body. Anyway, what he tells me is that he
                > autoclaves crushed lava rocks and the extract is what
                > he is selling. I have noted good results in insect
                > control and I have seen my durian fruits closing up
                > "wounds" made by borers after regular applications of
                > the extract.

                HS......I have never heard of this extract. It is a liquid? Borers
                are such a huge problem in stressed trees. This could be something
                very worthwhile to have on hand.

                Gloria
              • HS Wong
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 27, 2003
                  Yes, the lava rock extract is a liquid.
                  The liquid seems to close up the holes made by borers.
                  It is however not an insecticide. I have tried
                  extracts of the leaves of the latana plant on some
                  weevils and they seem to die within 2 hours. I am now
                  formulating a latana - EM5 spray and will be doing
                  tests soon againsts specific weevils and beetles.
                  However, I wish to point out that it is not my
                  intention to replace sound farming practices with an
                  insecticide even if it is non-chemical, non-synthetic.
                  I am currently very happy with the lava rock extract
                  and the rate of losses due to borers after its use.

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 27, 2003
                    wrote:
                    > Yes, the lava rock extract is a liquid.
                    > The liquid seems to close up the holes made by borers.
                    > It is however not an insecticide. I have tried
                    > extracts of the leaves of the latana plant on some
                    > weevils and they seem to die within 2 hours. I am now
                    > formulating a latana - EM5 spray and will be doing
                    > tests soon againsts specific weevils and beetles.
                    > However, I wish to point out that it is not my
                    > intention to replace sound farming practices with an
                    > insecticide even if it is non-chemical, non-synthetic.
                    > I am currently very happy with the lava rock extract
                    > and the rate of losses due to borers after its use.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > HS
                    Thanks, HS. I am going to look into a supplier of this in the US.
                    Gloria
                  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 27, 2003
                      HS.....does the lava rock extract have a name? So far a search for it
                      turned up nothing.

                      Gloria
                    • HS Wong
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 27, 2003
                        He names it Sod-Te, but I doubt it means anything.

                        =====
                        Regards,

                        HS Wong
                        Visit my farm: www.dqcleanchicken.com
                        Find out about the most important chicken: www.junglefowl.org
                        You can contribute to sustainability: www.sustainablelivingcentre.com

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 30, 2003
                          2. I wonder whether the magnetic effect has anything
                          to do with the fact that a lot of plant nursery owners
                          in my country site them under high-tension power grid
                          lines. I used to think that its becos it rent-free
                          but some owners that I spoke to tell me that it's
                          becos the plants grow better and are more sellable.

                          i have been harvesting cherries just under a high tension power line for many years . they are the sweetess from far than any other cherries i have been harvesting in other places .
                          jean-claude